Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What drivers do you wish Dayton would create?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Dayton would get serious about there exciters and create at least a 100 watt RMS exciter.....also more 8ohm exciters like a 8ohm Ultra and Thruster that are more durable.....also I want to see the smaller exciters built better with higher quality and power handling like a 13mm high steered flux exciter that can handle 10 watts or more at 8ohms.

Comment

I would love to see more 'magnetless' drivers... some to match the ND series, maybe even Ultimax. Yup, a few more Passive Radiators, not that I'm not thankful for the ones recently introduced, they're fantastic, and long overdue.

Maybe take the AMT tweeter designed for the automotive environment, alter the plastic case a bit to make them a press-fit, or small-flange press-in design like some of the small neo tweeters PE sells. I had to 'bugger' the baffle to get those in my 'Bantams,' but they're a fantastic tweeter and I'd love to see them available for home use. Possibly just design a flange that the tweeter could slide into that could then mount up like a normal tweeter? Sell it for $3.95 ea? I'd bite on a few. Those are nice sounding tweeters!

I second John's suggestion for better-looking baskets on the ND series. Perhaps a Designer Series type of rolled basket with minimal depth, and that cool cardboard backer behind the flange so it doesn't 'compress' when torqued down. I've gotten used to them by now, but sealing can still be an issue with the Flexi-Frame basket on those things.

I think it's been mentioned, but how about a tweeter to match the level of performance of the Esoteric series of drivers? Actually, the RS tweeter with it's protective grill looks almost identical to the weave in the cone of the Esoteric drivers, so they match aesthetically... but maybe a dedicated tweet to better match the sonic characteristics of the woofers would be cool.

I'm really nit-picking here though, because Dayton Audio really has an amazing line of drivers at pretty much every price point.

TomZ
      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Creating a parts express asian hub wd be great, seeing as Taiwan and China are a source of a great deal of what they are selling. Huge market but Dayton products are double the US price and hard to come by in many asian countries. With the ASEAN trade agreement in place it makes sense to have a hub.
        What doesnt make sense is why I have to buy stuff that was made near me then sent 6000 miles to the US and then sent 6000 miles back again

Comment

A discussion on another forum leads me to believe there is probably a market for 2 ohm variants of some of the more popular drivers.

I also advocate for 16 ohm variants of some of the mid-size woofers because three woofered tower speakers are bada$$ looking. The RS180/225 would probably be sufficient from the RS line and 16 ohm variants of the DS/DA/DSA175/215.

I will echo the oft-repeated demand for high sensitivity, small diameter cone drivers. 3 and 4 inch dedicated midrange drivers are sorely lacking in availability to the DIY'er - the few that exist are generally pretty spendy. F3 fever has had an overall negative impact on the usability of smaller woofers as dedicated mids in a larger build and there are simply not very many dome mids available.

Waveguide on-demand would be cool, given the relatively low cost of 3D printing. Some kind of interactive web based design tool generates the CAD file and voila.

More poly cones, fewer stamped frames (other manufacturers are hitting great price points on quality drivers with cast baskets), some drivers optimized for real acoustic suspension use and not just claiming cheap drivers with high-Q motors are "optimized for sealed box use" - we are talking very low Fs, very high compliance, moderate Q (0.55-0.65) driver designs.

Not my cup of tea, but I bet dollars to donuts a lot of people miss the old "IB" Dayton subwoofer. IB installs have a cult-like following, and I am thinking Dayton could grab some of that market back.

In many ways, I think our hobby has advanced considerably in the last ten years - but at the same time, taking a step back and looking a hard look at driver selection across the board reveals a ton of redundancy in choices which is a serious limiting factor. Two common themes in these kinds of threads are "we want something different" and "improve what we have". It tells me I am probably not the only one discouraged when I think about a new design, and realize the world really doesn't need another 5 or 6 or 7" 2-way bookshelf. DIY til I die - but for established designers the feather in the cap these days is being the first to produce a design with a new driver, even if it is just another 5 or 6 or 7" 2-way bookshelf. Why do you think some of the established designers cozy up to vendors and drop stupid little hints about top-secret projects and inside information? Why do you think some of them just fall of the face of the earth? I am guessing a lot of the designers here have a great project idea floating around but lack the variety of driver types to nail it. On the other hand, the redundancy in design options has really driven serious advancements in cabinet quality.

Personally, I am tired of the rat-race to be the first to produce a 5 or 6 or 7" 2-way bookshelf design with a previously unused driver combo - so I started stockpiling old Realistic/Radio Shack drivers and will just play with that stuff. To be quite frank, I find the variety of those old drivers quite interesting. Dual voice coil 12" woofers, cup-backed 3" "midrange/tweeter", weird ribbons, odd domes, cone tweeters, the early generation sealed back cone mid is incredible (the later generation is pretty lame - shiny mylar dustcap and ultra high Q, essentially the same as the really cheap Goldwood sealed back mid). Plus, focusing on those drivers removes me from the rat-race
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The GRS 4" mid is pretty nice. The PRV 4MR60-4 is good too. There just isn't a Dayton equivalent.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Can we revisit the esoteric tweeter?
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

​I would like to see a $60 ribbon tweeter that's flat past 20k and is durable enough to handle a 2nd order crossover at 2,000 hz. A round faceplate would be a plus.
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

I'd like to see a 4" Esoteric and then 4ohm versions of all the Esoteric woofers. And +1 on Toms suggestion for the smaller AMT's.
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                  The Archers
                  Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

I'd like an 8" designed to work well in a 2-way.

Comment

Originally posted by clydethecat View Post
                      I'd like an 8" designed to work well in a 2-way.
                      A 2-way can be completed with RS225P, PM220, PS220, or PA200.
                      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by mattk View Post
                        A 4" 8ohm dedicated midrange with 90+ dB efficiency - similar to the Audax HM100Z0

Agreed! And, it would also be nice to see a tweeter that performs as well as the RS-series tweeters, but which has a smaller flange, and perhaps a neo motor.

Comment

I don't find an 8 ohm impedance to be particularly important in a midrange. That, and you need a lot of woofer to make 90dB sensitivity in the bass region to need a 90dB midrange, like dual 10" woofers. That's a big expensive speaker, meaning production volumes will be low for such a dedicated midrange. Not that I dislike all the wishful thinking here, but I think its very clear why the product line is the way it is.

That said, the Tang-Band 75-1558SE meets both the 8 ohm and 90dB sensitivity goals, and it would be great to see it available again at an affordable price.
                          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

More Flat pack kits based on commissioned or volunteered design or whatever. At this point you probably have a lot of people who want to spend money on all kinds of drivers but don't have or want to spend all the tools to build a speaker from scratch. The whole 'who has a cnc' musical chairs seems to have petered out over the past few years. Expand in this regard and I think you open up a whole new market. Imagine basic cabs that you can replace baffles and spend even more on different drivers. Guaranteed more sales and customer loyalty.

The current fancy cabs are nice but hella expensive and great for when you know you've locked on to a specific design. Cheaper bare mdf kits would get more exposure and satisfy folks who don't want to spend $$$$ on tools just to get started. I see that PE has made some initial steps in this direction but they should expand. I've been hoping to be in a position for years where I have a garage of my own to go to town but it's not going to happen any time soon. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me who are living in smaller and smaller accommodations as is the fashion, but still dedicated to the hobby.

Comment

• SimplyD
                              SimplyD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bringing back to life another post from this string.

As a beginner without sophisticated woodworking equipment, I 100% agree with this idea of an expanded line of flat-pack cabinets. Mix-and-match sizing would be better yet. Wouldn't take that many panel sizes to offer good cabinet options, especially for a beginner testing the water.

My first build used the .56 Denovo, was fun and relatively easy, and the results per effort made me want to try another build. I have since purchased components for a 3-way. With limited equipment and no desire to go down that rabbit hole, I have settled on retrofitting some old 1970's Pioneer wood veneer units with new baffles and bracing. My project has stalled because even just the new baffles in my design require precise cuts and rounds I can't do on my own. I have lost momentum, other than breaking in the components in free air on my theater room floor. Yeah, my wife has been quite pleased with that... I'd probably be on pair 3 if I had decent cabinet options at a reasonable price, and most of those components would also come from PE.

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
                            ​I would like to see a $60 ribbon tweeter that's flat past 20k and is durable enough to handle a 2nd order crossover at 2,000 hz. A round faceplate would be a plus.
                            That might be a tall order. The transformer makes the price higher, and the membrane must be large to play that low.

A 2-way can be completed with RS225P, PM220, PS220, or PA200.
                            Quite a few more can as well. It's just the complexity rises with regard to implementation.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Mark me down as someone who wants a $40 3 or 4" midrange that can do 90db. 8ohm preferred. I dont understand why most of the 3" mids out there have an Fs around 100hz. Not necessary. Even at 100hz it needs to be flattened to allow the high pass to work, usually. So why not make it 250hz and increase sensitivity? Maybe Im missing something cause it doesnt seem common. Theres a few pro 4" mids that do what I need. Usually they look like garbage though. Celestion has one with a square frame. I cant decide if it looks cool, or ugly.
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Working...
                              X