Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What drivers do you wish Dayton would create?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

have you seen measurements of that unit?

I’m looking for something with closer to 0.003% distortion.

Comment

Do you mean 0.003% THD at rated output? If so, the TSA7800B (ADAU1701 DSP and class D amps) won't come close, even at 1W. The TSA7800B is a budget implementation at $75 per board. You're looking for a different level of performance (and cost).
      "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Prices for phono cartridges are getting out of control and have nearly doubled in the past 10-15 years. A Parts-Express or Dayton branded cartridge(s) would be welcome, not fancy looking but a phono cartridge that has it where it counts. Low inductance, great quality, and a quality nude stylus (not bonded) with great contact area such as MicroRidge/MicroLine, Line Contact, Shibata, or generic equivalent. No elliptical or conical stylus, they wear out the record faster and are lower quality.

MC Low Output Cartridge - There are a lack of MC low output cartridges at good prices and plenty of demand. The most cost effective MC low output cartridge out there with a quality stylus is the AT-OC9XML or AT33PTG/2 ($549). That's the cost of a Playstation 5 folks for something without a replacement stylus and it wasn't always so.

MI (Moving Iron/Fixed Coil) Cartridge - Has lower mass potential than Moving Coil and far less failure mechanisms. Lower rotational inertia which is not insignificant. Has the potential to be better than MC. While I am not a fan of this company's pricing I did find this an interesting read (https://www.sound-smith.com/articles...ent-technology). A replaceable stylus would be a plus if not detrimental to performance. People are willing to pay for quality if there is a replaceable stylus and assuming the stylus is sold at a reasonable price.

MM Cartridge - Not really needed. I think Audio Technica has this area already covered in low cost alternatives.

There must be a cartridge manufacturer in the USA, Europe or Asia willing to manufacture at a decent price for a Parts-Express/Dayton branded product. Most of the time people pay for a name and products are rebranded all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Krillin View Post

The Jamo uses a custom Seas Excel Hexadyme motor and I'm certain (I own the r909). While this is more of a woofer-mid comparison John_E_Janowitz's post #19 from the link below is very good reason on why a dipole specific driver is beneficial. Pretty large differences especially in required power and fighting the driver frequency response.
          https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t...advice.233045/

I'm not saying there are not good open baffle designs using regular drivers. Just that a dedicated mid would be for DIY use.
          The Jamo use a regular W15CH with different paint so they can say it’s custom, no?

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ers&Itemid=359
          "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

• Krillin
            Krillin commented
            Editing a comment
            Unknown. The Jamo R909 uses the W15CH-JamFG as the midrange. Not sure why there is the discrepancy on the model number on HifiCompass. It's possible he tested the midrange from the R907?

The technical data section on HifiCompass is almost always a copy and paste from the datasheet. So whether the parameters here are real or copied from the M15CH datasheet is unknown to me.
            https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/...seas-m15ch-jam

How about a 3” cone, true midrange driver. One that won’t go below 200 Hz, but has high sensitivity instead.
          Use the RS100 frame and offer it truncated as well. Shoot, base it on the RS100P because it has good distortion performance, but give it a huge neo magnet and some sensitivity. Get it up close to 96 dB @2.83V. Make sure the breakup is high enough that you can cross LR2 at 3.5kHz or higher for those that like ribbons.
          It’s now the most popular true midrange ever.
          Beats the pants off the RS52.

Comment

Originally posted by gregrueff View Post
            How about a 3” cone, true midrange driver. One that won’t go below 200 Hz, but has high sensitivity instead.
            Use the RS100 frame and offer it truncated as well. Shoot, base it on the RS100P because it has good distortion performance, but give it a huge neo magnet and some sensitivity. Get it up close to 96 dB @2.83V. Make sure the breakup is high enough that you can cross LR2 at 3.5kHz or higher for those that like ribbons.
            It’s now the most popular true midrange ever.
            Beats the pants off the RS52.
            Check post #3 in this thread
            It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Working...
            X