Apology and an announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apology and an announcement

While I'm here (I don't spend much time here anymore)...

I want to offer an apology for my prior years of snark, sarcasm and generally rude behavior.

Also, I was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome which is on the autism spectrum. Caring family members encouraged me to be formally diagnosed - and although I was taken aback at the thought, I agreed as I was genuinely curious. But it explains literally "everything" from my employment history, social skills (or lack thereof), executive function, etc. So there's that. I'd taken to coping with my lack of "normal" brain function by being a sarcastic pain in the posterior. I could never quite understand what I was missing in social interaction. I had friends, but only transiently. Anyone I'd get to know for more than a short visit would slink away and disappear - forever. I only know now that they assumed I was being arrogant and wanted nothing to do with me - because surely I was aware that I was such a jerk and didn't like them anyway. Far from it - I never knew how bad it was to be my friend.

As I am told, I can't really change my perceptions, and this deeply saddens me. I can only be counseled to work on the way I am.

I just want people to know that I'm doing my best to be a better person. It's the least I could do.

Aaron

Wow. I guess I had no idea either. As Chuck has told me, this presents a difficult set of operating criteria. You have a very understanding spouse, since I've been exposed to others whom also have it. Have you always thought higher about what matters to you and not others? That's a big one.

Good on you for realizing maybe you should be checked, and for following through. I'm a bit surprised that this is what it is, but still it's knowledge you didn't have. I'm betting you're not a very severe case, but still it's good to know.

Best regards,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I suffer from chronic severe depression. There is no H*ll like being sick in your brain. Meds may help some, but you are basically on your own. I really hope and pray you find a good "ear" to work with. Aaron, this is the only life you have. Keep that in mind when things get tough as they do.

Take care man, Ricky

Comment

As Ben said, I have first hand knowledge and experience with Aspergers. My oldest two, now adults, have a formal and verified diagnosis of Aspergers.

Don't be discouraged. It is not the disability that some want to make it out to be! Is it frustrating? Yep, for you and those around you. Is it difficult? Absolutely. But it is also not so much something to overcome as to be aware of.

Thank you for sharing Aaron. It is a difficult thing to do and hi give you much credit for doing so. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

My best friend's grandson has Asperger's syndrome. The boy is absolutely brilliant and blows the charts when it comes to intelligence. And he has zero social skills. He's not intentionally insulting or arrogant, he's simply compelled to share everything he knows with everybody he meets. So, he comes across as cold, uninvolved, and completely void of any human sensibilities. Sort of Mr. Spock in the extreme.

What you've revealed to us requires a real urgency to explain to others why you are what you are, and I commend you for the effort.

Now if only the rest of us could figure out what is wrong with us!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Wow. I guess I had no idea either. As Chuck has told me, this presents a difficult set of operating criteria. You have a very understanding spouse, since I've been exposed to others whom also have it. Have you always thought higher about what matters to you and not others? That's a big one.

Good on you for realizing maybe you should be checked, and for following through. I'm a bit surprised that this is what it is, but still it's knowledge you didn't have. I'm betting you're not a very severe case, but still it's good to know.

Best regards,
            Wolf
            Well, empathy is one of those "lacking" things, but not in the sense that I only think of myself. I am generous, to a fault at times, but it's difficult for me to put myself in another' shoes. My wife is very patient - she was the one that suspected it after we very nearly came to a separation...

High Functioning is the key property for defining the Asperger diagnosis.

I haven't worked in electronics for a little over a year. Finding a job is no problem, but keeping it always is...eventually. Most of the time I don't know what the problem is...or was. Usually something to do with office politics. My capabilities are sought after, but my personality isn't...

I started a remodeling company last fall, and I've been busy ever since. I've got a lot of nice tools now - and I'll likely be building some speakers worthy of being entered into the competition - but not this year.

Comment

Originally posted by gdmoore28 View Post
              Now if only the rest of us could figure out what is wrong with us!

GeeDeeEmm
              Quoted for truth!

Comment

You have nothing to apologize for. In my former career as a teacher, I worked with several students with Aspergers. They are good kids; and often very intelligent. And if other people in the room are knowledgeable about what the child responds well to (and what they DO NOT respond well to), they can do great stuff! And as long as I've known you, you've always done great stuff. So congratulate you on having the courage to get it checked out, and hopefully you will learn some things that will help you deal with other people and situations to achieve your greatest successes.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Hey Aaron. I know where you're coming from and you have my ear.

shawn
                  My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

It has been awhile. I look forward to seeing you next time.
                    Mongo only pawn in game of life
                    ____
                    Ed

Comment

Good luck to you. You have taken a big step.

Comment

I relate.
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I can certainly relate to several things which you have pointed out in your life. You are an interesting person, one whom I'd like to get to know better. But, I don't think you are anywhere near the Dallas Texas area.

If you are not already familiar, look into John Elder Robison. An innovative fellow, who designed Ace Frehley's smoking guitar and other pyrotechnics for Kiss. His is an interesting story. Researchers were able to temporarily stimulate that part of the brain which was not operating up to par and he got to experience first hand what he had missed his whole life with Asperger's.

Here is a short video on him.

And here is another.

Comment

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
                            I can certainly relate to several things which you have pointed out in your life. You are an interesting person, one whom I'd like to get to know better. But, I don't think you are anywhere near the Dallas Texas area.

If you are not already familiar, look into John Elder Robison. An innovative fellow, who designed Ace Frehley's smoking guitar and other pyrotechnics for Kiss. His is an interesting story. Researchers were able to temporarily stimulate that part of the brain which was not operating up to par and he got to experience first hand what he had missed his whole life with Asperger's.

Here is a short video on him.

And here is another.
                            I suffer from ​snark, sarcasm, and rude behavior and am in the Dallas area.... I am not mocking Asperger's​ and would love to meet Temple Grandin who I consider one of the most interesting people I have ever read about. She is one the few people I would honestly call heroic in a world increasing populated by idiots and lunatics.

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post

I suffer from ​snark, sarcasm, and rude behavior and am in the Dallas area.... I am not mocking Asperger's​ and would love to meet Temple Grandin who I consider one of the most interesting people I have ever read about. She is one the few people I would honestly call heroic in a world increasing populated by idiots and lunatics.

http://www.templegrandin.com/
                              Temple Grandin is AMAZING! I first became aware of her in the mid 1980s and I have seen a couple of interviews she has done and a documentary of her life. Fascinating person.

Speaking of Asperger's - Check out Ben Affleck's movie The Accountant. Mrs. Interest and I watched it last night and loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X