MTM with RS180-P woofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTM with RS180-P woofers

Curt Campbell designed an MTM with RS180P-8 mid-woofers and Morel CAT 378 tweeter. Google: slapshot MTM
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    Website

Originally posted by gowa View Post
    Curt Campbell designed an MTM with RS180P-8 mid-woofers and Morel CAT 378 tweeter. Google: slapshot MTM
    I can highly recommend these speakers: very natural sound, highly efficient and easy to put together: I built a pair and they are the best speakers I've ever owned. Superb midrange, so they're excellent with vocal music, both classical and pop/rock.

As noted in an earlier post, I prefer the sound of paper drivers and fabric tweeters to aluminium (at least, those I've heard, such as the RS28A) for our music collection. Price-wise they're very competitive with the RS28/RS180 MTMs.

Geoff

Comment

I am going in a slightly different direction with my Slapshots. Drivers and x-overs in hand, modeling done, just waiting for the summer heat to cool into fall. It's still hovering near 110 degrees here in the Phoenix area. Since I haven't seen any Slapshot build threads here I'll start one once MDF meets the blade.
      Last edited by bungelow_ed; 07-31-2017, 01:47 PM.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Ed, I for one will be looking forward to your MLTL build. Will you be making any changes to the x-over? Also, what diameter port are you planning and will it be flared on both ends?

John.

Comment

John, Baffle width remains the same, so no plans to make changes to the x-over.

Port as modeled is 4" D x 5" L. I am very partial to Precision Ports and there is plenty of room to fit flares on both ends using Precision Ports. Note though, input power is 66W RMS for the shown SPL. I've posted the Abbreviated Input section and Port Velocity/Speed of Air Ratio graph for your reference. Since max recommended port velocity ratio is generally recommended to be .03 or lower there is guard-band built into this cabinet design. Flared ports are probably not needed. Ed
          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Any opinions or measurement of the tweeter? I couldn't find much documentation on these. The XO is very uncomplicated indicating very good synergy between the drivers.

Comment

I don't have experience with the Morel and information is what I've seen online. My goal is to build with something other than the RS-28 line, without jumping into SB or Scanspeak tweeters. Knowing that Slapshots are a Curt/Jim design I feel certain that the only risk in building is me. Given recent weather trends here in AZ, I expect to be able to start these in ~30 days.
              ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
                I don't have experience with the Morel and information is what I've seen online. My goal is to build with something other than the RS-28 line, without jumping into SB or Scanspeak tweeters. Knowing that Slapshots are a Curt/Jim design I feel certain that the only risk in building is me. Given recent weather trends here in AZ, I expect to be able to start these in ~30 days.
                Hi Ed,

Actually, Curt did the Slapshots for another individual. I wasn't involved with them but did hear them both in my home and at Iowa DIY. Very nice as always from my good friend Curt.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

Hi Ed,

Actually, Curt did the Slapshots for another individual. I wasn't involved with them but did hear them both in my home and at Iowa DIY. Very nice as always from my good friend Curt.

Jim

Hey Jim,

My bad. Knowing what I know about your collaborations, my assumption was you had a hand in them too. Not much said about them online so I am anxious to get the build started, finally. Good to hear you like them. Pictures and commentary coming.

Ed
                  ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

I made an entry in the Speaker Project Gallery forum last year after I'd completed my build. Mr Campbell was extremely helpful to me throughout the planning and build process and I can't thank him enough.

The Morel tweeter provides a very natural sounding top end, which is especially noticeable on cymbals, flute/piccolo and violin. For example, there's a big cymbal crash about two minutes into Miles Davis' "So What" which can sound edgy and grainy on less capable tweeters; in Verdi's La Traviata, there's a prominent piccolo part in the 'Drinking Song' which the Morels really bring out. Bach's solo violin partitas sound just right and the Morels let you hear a bit more of the music than my other speakers.

They also seem solid and well made, which is a plus, and they work out at a similar price to the RS series once you factor in a smaller crossover parts count

Good luck with your build, you will love them!

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff, for the input on the Slapsticks sound. I can read your entry, but have to wait to compare passages. Fairly certain I have both the Mile Davis and Verdi pieces. Not sure about the Bach.
                      ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Thanks Geoff, for the input on the Slapsticks sound. I can read your entry, but have to wait to compare passages. Fairly certain I have both the Mile Davis and Verdi pieces. Not sure about the Bach.
                        NB If you have Hendrix' "Are You Experienced", the drums and cymbals are a key part of the overall sound: try 'Third Stone from the Sun', for example. The solo Bach violin pieces are a great test of musician, producer, and stereo system, but if you have the Brandenburg Concertos, these will also test your tweeters.

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Ed,

I have had a quick search and haven't been able to find much in relation to the original cabinet dimensions, do you have the details by any chance? I assume the crossover you will be using is the one on the RAD website.

@ Geoff Millar, your cabinet appears to be larger dimensions than the monitor style I have seen before. Any chance you can share the details of your build (cabinet dimensions, port size and location, crossover schematic etc).

John.

Comment

Originally posted by 01-0077 View Post
                            Thanks Ed,

I have had a quick search and haven't been able to find much in relation to the original cabinet dimensions, do you have the details by any chance? I assume the crossover you will be using is the one on the RAD website.

@ Geoff Millar, your cabinet appears to be larger dimensions than the monitor style I have seen before. Any chance you can share the details of your build (cabinet dimensions, port size and location, crossover schematic etc).

John.
                            Hello

The crossover schematic is Mr Campbell's copyright, so I wouldn't feel comfortable passing on that information, but it's as per the design on the website mentioned.

The cabinet dimensions are 9" w x 11" d x 33" h: this was because I was originally going to make a different speaker which used those dimensions, but changed my mind as I needed more output. Port is a 3" Precision Port, 7" overall length.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

Hello

The crossover schematic is Mr Campbell's copyright, so I wouldn't feel comfortable passing on that information, but it's as per the design on the website mentioned.

The cabinet dimensions are 9" w x 11" d x 33" h: this was because I was originally going to make a different speaker which used those dimensions, but changed my mind as I needed more output. Port is a 3" Precision Port, 7" overall length.

Geoff

Geoff is correct to a point, in all likelihood either the intellectual property is Curt's with Rhythm Audio Design licensed to sell the design, or Rhythm Audio Design bought the IP. In either case, the correct source for design details should be either Curt or RAD. When I bought my components the owner of RAD gave me baffle width and relative positions of drivers, nothing else.

The MLTL posted is my IP which I share freely with anyone wishing to use it for non-commercial purposes.
                              ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...
                              X