Electrostatic Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrostatic Speakers

There's some interesting designs now with magnetic field tweeters that hover/float. Transparent flat electrostatic loudsspeaker/drivers. Although it's been around awhile.
    Can the electrostatics take any color or shape?
    Thought it would be interesting as a fake plant where the leaves are the electro with hidden tweeter, woofer.

Originally posted by Sigil View Post
    ...Can the electrostatics take any color or shape?...
    To my knowledge*, No.
    Flat or slightly curved ( like surface of large cylinder or sphere )
    * time marches on
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Ya, I figured they'd have them by now, if I was thinking of it!
      Hey so about levitating speakers.
      Maybe the future of theatre, will be that these speakers levitate around the room. Run by the P.C. having the software control speaker placement in advance to the sound track.

Comment

Ya, I figured they'd have them by now, if I was thinking of it!...
        Concepts often precede the technology necessary for practical implementation; the Electric light-bulb was conceived years before a practical product was produced by Edison. The concept of Audio delay was also created ( W.B. Snow ) long before it became commercially available.

Diaphragms for electrostatics have been thin stretched polymer ( like Mylar ) with a conductive coating
        Something different
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Ya kinda neat.
          Imagine levitating speakers for surround sound.
          Be amazing. Say a jet flyby where it's actually moving and all in room accoustics, monitoring, control and optimization is done by Android/P.C. Horror movies would be too creepy!! Whispers, whatever moving behind you. Ive had a couple surround systens. Never had an ideal setup though. Always trying to adjust. It. There would be no need to adjust after, except the system updates!

Comment

Acquisition and Rendering Methods for Immersive Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
              the Electric light-bulb was conceived years before a practical product was produced by Edison.
              You avoided that controversy nicely. IIRC, Edison ran what might be called an 'invention' shop with others working 'for' him. He put his name on the inventions, or stole other's ideas out right. Edison was more a businessman than scientist. Look at what he, and others, stole from Tesla.

YMMV

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                ... Edison ran what might be called an 'invention' shop with others working 'for' him....
                yep - The Muckers
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Edison-muckers-image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1342838

Comment

The Muckers look like a pretty desperate bunch to me.... Edison did the public a great service keeping them off the street where they would have been the run amuckers.

Edison was not an engineer and Tesla's AC power distribution put Edison's DC power distribution out of business.

Comment

OT here, but Edison didn't INVENT ANYTHING! He perfected and made many, many items practical at commercial prices, but where he made his money was perfecting the "Edison cell" (lead-acid) battery, invented by LeClance of France nearly 50 years earlier, for Western Union. The electric light bulb with a platinum wire filament was invented over a century earlier by Lumere of France and Rutherford used a copy of it to establish the foot-candle, candela, the "LUMEN" and meter-candle, and establish "color temperatures" of light. The LeLance (LaLance) cell was the jar of copper acid sulfate with a zinc anode and copper cathode and was a "primary" battery, where the "Edison cell" was rechargeable, usually by a windmill.

Comment

Ya, along that line. Didn't have time to read all in depth. Obviously a mic for relay.
                      Swear I seen something somewhere, where speakers moved along a track. Levatation moving trains. Nothing new!! Maybe I was dreaming!! :/
                      It would be a dolbly collaboration.

Comment

Kellogg's was great. Cereal n speakers. Figures!
                        Have to love inventions.

Comment

Ya, along that line. Didn't have time to read all in depth. Obviously a mic for relay.....
                          I can see merit with the concept of a recording microphone matrix and a corresponding transducer matrix.

In the same fashion that video went from a singular CRT to a large matrix of small devices ( LCD,LED ); Perhaps Flat panels SED ( Sound Emitting Devices ) Click image for larger version

Name:	SED2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1342903

Comment

Working...
                          X