Sure/wondom 4x100amp and meanwell psu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure/wondom 4x100amp and meanwell psu

I just picked these up (part numbers at the bottom) to mess with a mini dsp and just to see how they perform in general. I am looking for a good option for volume control. I have an emotiva control freak but its balanced in and out. I bought some adapters to change from balanced to rca. Im looking to see if there is another option. Sure had a volume pot board but doesnt appear to be for this specific amp board from the details i read. I mainly dont want to use the control freak because i was considering using it on a inuke for volume control but if i have too ill use it. It will be nice to have a fully portable 4ch amp/dsp/speaker setup.

Also the wiring that came with the meanwell to plug into 110v and power to the amp board is like really small gauge approx 20-22ga. Is that acceptable for highest output or should it be a larger wire?

320-335 Sure Electronics AA-AB33182 4x100W at 4 Ohm Class D Digital Audio Amplifier Board STA508 (TK2050) 1 EA $49.90 $49.90

320-316 Mean Well MW NES-350-24 24 VDC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

The ampacity (the maximum amount a conductor can carry without damage) for a 20 gauge conductor is 5A. For a 22 gauge conductor it is 3A. That is for a single conductor in free air. For muliple conductors and/or enclosed wiring, the amount should be derated. The PS draws + 3A at max output. Personally I would upgrade to a larger size cable. It won't cost much, or even easier, cut the end of an old extension cord.
    “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

No idea what either of these sound like, but I've wanted to try out the Yaun-Jing 6n3 tube preamp 320-6502, $30.

There's also a 'digitally controlled' volume control 320-3181 for $10.

The 320-3180 volume control only plugs into certain Shure boards. The best way to be sure which boards is to look for the socket that the volume control plugs into in the power amp description picture.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

I have the same Sure board, but older version without the fan. I run mine with a 19V 6A (120watt) laptop supply and it can only barely drive it to clipping. Have also tried a 24V 4A (95 watt) brick, but it caused the heatsink to get pretty hot and didn't give me noticable more volume.
        Using it just like you - with a 2x4 MiniDSP and sounds very good, easy to hook-up and compact, so I could put it all in a very small package. Had a little hum using the 24V brick, but can't hear anything unless I have my ear right by the tweeter with the 19V brick. YMMV, but I think you will be happy with your combination.
        Paul

The "SB's" build page
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Mike -

That's exactly the same components I used recently for a similar purpose.
          I used 16 gauge stranded between the Meanwell PS and the NEMA socket, and also between the PS and the Sure board.
          I used 2 ALPS potentiometers for volume control, and built the components into a dead HTR chassis.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Do you have any pics of your setup Don?
            My Build Thread's
            Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
              Thanks for the info guys. Do you have any pics of your setup Don?

This is probably the best pic for your purposes. I used 16 gauge between the PS and amp board, and 14 gauge
              between the PS and the NEMA jack. The setup works great IMHO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880--smaller.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1344553

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
              X