X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so clever frame-design?

Hi,

Before, I have told you about this new system in my home:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ew-test-systemClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	1357350
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Here in the States, our big box hardware store (Home Depot) carries 1/4" mdf in 2' x 4' sheets (<USD$10). That's my plan to recreate the missing frames on my original advent speakers.

Comment

If your just looking for mechanical stability you could remove the back (if removable) or cut holes to fit a wooden brace from the baffle to the cabinet rear and glue and screw into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
        If your just looking for mechanical stability you could remove the back (if removable) or cut holes to fit a wooden brace from the baffle to the cabinet rear and glue and screw into place.
        I think that's just the frame for the grill cloth that is cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by clydethecat View Post

I think that's just the frame for the grill cloth that is cracked.

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

"Original" ADVE\TS just used regular old 1/8" Masonite (hardboard - maybe tempered?).

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post

Exactly, and here is my question/observation:

Isn’t there much to be gained by replacing that diffraction- producing design with a normal thin frame with some damping material around the tweeter and normal thin loudspeaker cloth?

Regards// Lasse
              Your speaker's recessed baffle is similar to the original Large Advents. I have read (TT IIRC) the Advents measure much better with the frame in place. The original Advent frame had cut-outs that mirrored the drivers, especially the woofer. The updated version specifically framed each driver.

Advent Grills.png

Comment

Mike, MY grills have round holes for the fried-egg tweeters (which stood proud of the baffle by maybe 3/8"? or so). YOURs have large rectangular holes?? Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  Mike, MY grills have round holes for the fried-egg tweeters (which stood proud of the baffle by maybe 3/8"? or so). YOURs have large rectangular holes?? Curious.
                  My Advent find didn't have any grills with them. I pulled these pics from the web.

If you look closely at the set of Advents on the right, you can see the "darkened" frame cutouts through the grill cloth. That version has round holes directly over the tweeter. "Simply Speakers" has a grill cloth replacement YouTube instructional that uses the rectangular Advent version on the left.

When the weather gets warmer (garage woodworker here), I'll make new grills based on the round tweeter version. I want to experiement with some gasket / foam material to create a seal around the woofer between the baffle and the grill frame (and the tweeter plate and the grill frame).

Comment

Hello,

But isn`t this a Classic case of design with obvious riscs for severe diffraction issues??

Regards// Lasse

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post
                      Hello,

But isn`t this a Classic case of design with obvious riscs for severe diffraction issues??

Regards// Lasse
                      Yes, the recessed baffle (plus the 90o edges). But how many "consumers" even know about that phenomenon? But they sure do like the neat look of a flush grill.

Comment

I wonder if something built like a thin picture frame, with a couple of cross-braces for strength, would suffice?

Dynaco had a model called the A-25XL, also assembled in Denmark, which looked like this:

Comment

Originally posted by clydethecat View Post
                          I wonder if something built like a thin picture frame, with a couple of cross-braces for strength, would suffice?

Dynaco had a model called the A-25XL, also assembled in Denmark, which looked like this:

Yes, something like this but with absorbing felt around the tweeter in a sawtooth-shaped form ( a bit like F-117, you know)

Comment

Working...
                          X