Comparisons between the "C-Notes" and the Dayton Mk 402's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparisons between the "C-Notes" and the Dayton Mk 402's

I need a couple of pair of decent near-field computer speakers and I was wondering if anyone has yet auditioned the "C-Notes" and the new Dayton Mk402's head-to-head, so to speak. I could really use the more compact size of the Mk 402's, and dB/W isn't really a factor at less than 3 foot range.

If anyone can give me some suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, and Merry Christmas-Ricky-Pooh

I would be interested in a hearing comparison as well. I own the c-notes and am blown away by them. I have never heard a better $100 pair of speakers. Unfortunately the wife took them over however, so In need of another small near field setup.

Comment

Originally posted by jcsmith0919 View Post
      ... I own the c-notes and am blown away by them. I have never heard a better $100 pair of speakers. Unfortunately the wife took them over however, so In need of another small near field setup.

Finish them in "ugly" and that won;t happen

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Finish them in "ugly" and that won;t happen
        Haha funny thing is, they aren't even finished. Coated with a few rounds of 1:1 water:glue, but otherwise basic MDF. She just really liked the sound... And they happen to fit perfectly on her shelving unit, of which the boundary reinforcement makes her not miss those lower octaves. Here I am stuck working on my thesis with only a set of apple earbuds haha

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

It's an easy comparison.

One's 30% cheaper, less than half the size, and it comes assembled, ready to use. Drivers are described as "elegant" and "impressive." The four-component crossover has one inductor, an iron-core, and an electrolytic cap.

The other one's clearly superior, but hardly ready to use. Drivers are well known, with performance data available from several sources. The six-component crossover has air-core inductors and all polypropylene caps. The larger driver and box combine to insure better bass extension, and/or bass output (Hoffman's Iron Law), in addition to 50% greater power handling. An unfinished KD box, piece-part crossover and lack of terminals insure a substantial assembly period, requiring clamps, a drill, and some circuit reading and soldering skills. It's not an ideal beginners' kit from a skills perspective; crossovers can be off-putting.

And there are practical considerations for desktop use; one takes twice the space. Do you have the room?

Have fun,
            Frank

Comment

Thank you very much Frank! I couldn't get my head around my wondering about the Mk IV's for their smaller size, in this case, as you say, they're half as big, and that's a major consideration. I was getting the cart before the horse and couldn't see what my priority needed to be.

Comment

Working...
              X