Pretty Persuasions - InDIY Coax Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Javad - excellent use of innovative techniques and writeup as usual. I had to read about the midrange truncated trapeziod cuts several times, but I think I get it now. The chop saw is just cutting a 45 degree angle as usual, but the board is positioned at an angle so the miter on the slanted sides comes out perfectly. Complex stuff for my head! I imagine it's like anything else, once you do it a few times it becomes clear.
    Don basically instead of tilting the blade for the compound cut, you tilt the material and do it that way, works like a charm!
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
      Javad, I'm a novice at serious woodworking. And being that, left on my own, I would have filled the kerfs with wood glue prior to bending into shape - well not completely and wiping up after the bend. As I'm sure you know, the glue joints on softer wood are stronger than the wood itself. What do you think? Some got ya' as to why you shouldn't?
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

https://youtu.be/j-bqIJalovo

And all glued and finalized braces Detail of the mid enclosure

The end caps are spaced 1/8” from the eventual top/bottom for some CLD treatment

Thanks!
        Javad
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Thanks for the great photos and write-ups. Always a pleasure to follow your builds.

Comment

Nice!
            No matter where you go, there you are.
            Website

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post

Each brace was cut out with a jig saw and finalized to shape in my Wen desk top oscillating sander (love it btw!)
              Hey Javad, As usual your build logs are a blast to follow. The pictures are awesome and help inspire me to get my own InDIYana project into the sawdust phase. I'm glad you like that WEN benchtop sander. I've been considering one myself, if not for all the other money being spent in other places in life!

Keep up the great work! I'll be even more excited to hear these in April!
              Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
              Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
              The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
              SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
              The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Awesome build! That MCM woofer looks great for the money. Faital Pro never disappoints either!
                Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Man, if I ever come to California, and visit you, and we're listening to music, and there is an earthquake..... I am for sure going to hide under a few of your speakers for safety... you build them like tanks!
                  TomZ
                  Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                    Man, if I ever come to California, and visit you, and we're listening to music, and there is an earthquake..... I am for sure going to hide under a few of your speakers for safety... you build them like tanks!
                    TomZ
                    Thanks for the comments guys! And haha Tom, yea I like a good overkill for sure! Good thing is they won't be that heavy so they'll be easily transportable, thanks for following!
                    Javad
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
                      Good thing is they won't be that heavy so they'll be easily transportable, thanks for following!
                      Javad
                      Speaking of which are you shipping these to Fort Wayne?
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

Speaking of which are you shipping these to Fort Wayne?
                        I will be yes!
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

beautiful craftsmanship

I have so much to learn...

Comment

Time to install some drivers!

This is the layout

As I’ve done before, this is the process for an odd shaped driver Template.

First protect your driver and screw it down to a sacrificial MDF panel, 1/2” works great.

Next with a perfectly centered router base, trace around the frame with a 1/4” spiral bit, put an even layer of masking tape around the driver frame to slightly over size the template

Now on a new sacrificial piece, trace around the inside of the first sacrificial Template

This leaves you with a template 1/4” oversized

Now using a 3/4” Templating fixture, trace around the second sacrificial template to get the final template perfectly sized to the driver

With centering reference lines it is quick and easy to align the fixture on your baffle

Here is a quick blog describing the process: https://youtu.be/q5hltXG6X-Y

Here we have two enclosures ready to destroy, I mean flush mount drivers in! =)

Test cuts finalizing OD, ID and recesses

Marked and ready to go with logic check tracings

Midrange ID cut

8” recess and cutout

Position driver exactly where it needs to go, install fishing line in driver holes

Now with double sided tape on template, slide it over the driver frame and attach it firmly, then pull the driver out. This process perfectly positions the template centered around the driver cutout

Flush trim bit

And router

Test fit

Next port tube routering.

Thanks!
                            Javad
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Absolutely stunning!

Comment

Javad, what kind of finish will these have?

Comment

Working...
                                X