Pretty Persuasions - InDIY Coax Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javad,

On the method for cutting the baffle to fit an odd shaped driver ...

Could you do it with one sacrificial template by starting with 1/2" bit for the template. Then switch to a 1/4" bit for the final cut?

Comment

Good idea with the fishing line and template tape!
      See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer
        Javad, what kind of finish will these have?
        Likely Minwax Natural stain (basically oil) and sprayed spar varnish.
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Now I’m kicking myself for having to sell off my wood working shop when we moved into this condo. Great job. I used to make my kerf cuts with my router table setup that I had made on the end of my 1970’s sears table saw. That way I was able to get the cuts into an angel for the bend. Your skills are top of the line. Will you be marking and selling these?

Comment

What kind of router bit would you use to make kerf cuts?

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
              ... Test cuts finalizing OD, ID and recesses
              Hey Javad, Love the documentation for the irregular shape flush mount router work! Making test cuts to dial everything in is certainly smart. I was wondering if or how you account for some gasket tape behind each driver? Some drivers come with a thin foam gasket supplied, but I prefer the PE speaker gasket tape. I'd like to get a consistently flush install, but I'm never sure how much extra depth to include for the gasket tape. Do you have experience or thoughts you'd share?

Thanks!
              Keith
              Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
              Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
              The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
              SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
              The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Those pincushion frames always make me wince. I wish manufacturers would just offer round for everything I need to get a few more router bits so I can try doing this at some point.
                -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87
                  Hey Javad, Love the documentation for the irregular shape flush mount router work! Making test cuts to dial everything in is certainly smart. I was wondering if or how you account for some gasket tape behind each driver? Some drivers come with a thin foam gasket supplied, but I prefer the PE speaker gasket tape. I'd like to get a consistently flush install, but I'm never sure how much extra depth to include for the gasket tape. Do you have experience or thoughts you'd share? Thanks! Keith
                  --
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by carlthess40
                    Now I’m kicking myself for having to sell off my wood working shop when we moved into this condo. Great job. I used to make my kerf cuts with my router table setup that I had made on the end of my 1970’s sears table saw. That way I was able to get the cuts into an angel for the bend. Your skills are top of the line. Will you be marking and selling these?
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

If you're interested, I allow an extra 1/64" added to the flange's thickness if the driver comes with its own thin foam gasket. If the driver doesn't come with its own gasket, I use PE's speaker gasket foam tape and add 1/32" to the driver's flange thickness. If I screw up on either and cut the flange recess significantly too deep, I simply add a layer of PE's gasket tape to either type of driver gasket to raise the driver up. I don't fret over a driver's flange being a smidgen above or below a baffle, however, as the acoustical ramifications will not be audible.
                      Paul

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post

Hey Javad, Love the documentation for the irregular shape flush mount router work! Making test cuts to dial everything in is certainly smart. I was wondering if or how you account for some gasket tape behind each driver? Some drivers come with a thin foam gasket supplied, but I prefer the PE speaker gasket tape. I'd like to get a consistently flush install, but I'm never sure how much extra depth to include for the gasket tape. Do you have experience or thoughts you'd share?

Thanks!
                      Keith

Comment

This is why build threads are awesome; definitely using that template technique down the road.

Beautiful work as always, and mad jelly about your space and equipment.

This makes me want to start a serious build soon.....
                        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Ok time for some ports! Here is where they stood before

First step punch some pilot holes through the center of the back

Now drill with 1.5"” bit

The ports get installed from behind and clamped in place, ready for a 1/2” spiral cut flush bit. They’re a tight fit but if they fell out it would be disasters

Ready for a roundover

I used 3/4” as port velocity wont be an issue on these and it gives some room to the relatively tight fit

Time for some port tuning with WT2, 8” driver installed and open back sealed against the moving blanket

Ports with inner supports and flares installed, driver connected

First sweep with approx 9” long ports, Fm of 32hz

This is the model I’m targeting, about 38hz

1.5”" removed

Another sweep, now Fm 35hz

1” more off, and right at 37Hz, I’m good with that

Next clamping on and locating the back!

Javad
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by carlthess40
                            I’ve made...
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Here's a circle cutting question Javad:
                              I just got the Bosch 1617 plunge router for Christmas, and I noticed that the base is fairly large. How do you go about cutting out smaller circles where the guide pin for the jig would end up under the router base? For instance, the SB19 tweeter rebate that I need to do next is a 44mm radius, this will put the guide pin under the black base. My circle guide is a piece of acrylic that I screw to the bottom. Then I measure from the outside of the cutting bit to circle's centre (44mm) and drill a hole in the acrylic. Like a Jasper jig, but a fair bit cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by scottvalentin
                                Here's a circle cutting question Javad: I just got the Bosch 1617 plunge router for Christmas, and I noticed that the base is fairly large. How do you go about cutting out smaller circles where the guide pin for the jig would end up under the router base? For instance, the SB19 tweeter rebate that I need to do next is a 44mm radius, this will put the guide pin under the black base. My circle guide is a piece of acrylic that I screw to the bottom. Then I measure from the outside of the cutting bit to circle's centre (44mm) and drill a hole in the acrylic. Like a Jasper jig, but a fair bit cheaper!
                                --
                                Javad Shadzi
                                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X