No announcement yet.

Pretty Persuasions - InDIY Coax Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good ideas here. My mind is spinning with ideas for my next build. Your template process is excellent. The only down side that I can think of is that this would not work if the contour radius of the driver flange fell below the radius of the router base. But I would imagine that this problem, if it came up with a particular driver flange, could be solved by installing a custom router base. Keep up the good work. That driver flange fits like a glove!!
    SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
    Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
    Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
    Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
      Good question! Just insert the pin and it bottoms out on the base, no problem. Also be sure you’re removing the router base and replacing it with the jasper jig, don’t overlay it on the stock base. HTH, Javad
      Thanks Javad. How long are the Jasper Jig pins?

Comment

Originally posted by scottvalentin
        Thanks Javad. How long are the Jasper Jig pins?
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry
          Lots of good ideas here. My mind is spinning with ideas for my next build. Your template process is excellent. The only down side that I can think of is that this would not work if the contour radius of the driver flange fell below the radius of the router base. But I would imagine that this problem, if it came up with a particular driver flange, could be solved by installing a custom router base. Keep up the good work. That driver flange fits like a glove!!
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

--
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Gotta love Harbor Freight clamps!
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Javad, I see you tested the kerfing with plywood before using the solid poplar. What is your opinion of the two? Does the poplar kerf better, worse or indifferent compared to plywood?

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio
                  Javad, I see you tested the kerfing with plywood before using the solid poplar. What is your opinion of the two? Does the poplar kerf better, worse or indifferent compared to plywood?
                  --
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

Comment

I would love to hear these speakers! Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ellisr63 View Post
                      I would love to hear these speakers! Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
                      Come to InDIYana =)
                      --
                      Javad Shadzi
                      Bay Area, CA

Comment

Ok, let’s get back to it, enough ********!

Vlog detailing the doweling and clamping process

https://youtu.be/4dimHqwhx2Y

Back glued on, time to do some flush trimming... Had an issue that the back was square and didn’t match the 3 degree taper of the sides, a normal flush bit but won’t work due to the angle.

Simple solution is a flush trim bit and some 3/4” MDF, I set the bit depth to just under 3/4”, a small 1/64” lip will be easily sanded off. (BTW got this Bosc Router for $79, really nice unit)

Top and bottom were easily flush trimmed with a 1/4” bit

Now ready for some CLD! I know I said I was going to use the silicone, and it would work well, but I decided I didn’t want to deal with squeeze out on this so here we have two 2x2 sheets of 40 durometer sorbothane

Rough cut to size

Glue applied to enclosure

Doweled top and bottom pieces about to be trimmed

Trimming in my new 14” band saw

Sorbothane glued to enclosure

Wood glue applied to wood and more adhesive applied to sorbothane, I did a glue up of both ends at the same time

Clamp up

Nice tight joints even on the kerfed areas which tend not to be perfectly flat after bending

More to come thanks!
                        Javad
                        Last edited by JavadS; 01-11-2018, 01:57 AM.
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Ok so I pulled the first top/bottom CLD glue up out of the clamps, and I glued up the second enclosure. BTW this is what a loaded up bar clamp is supposed to look like =)

This is what I started with after the glue dried. Notice the masking tape over the kerfs, since it’s common for the flush cut bit to skim the surface, this helps protect the relatively thin top layer of the kerf

Spiral cut up cut bit by CMT, really nice cuts like a dream

And after the flush cut

Tape off

I did some quick initial sanding with 80 grit, I’ll be sanding the kerfs by hand as to not sand too deep, finally starting to look like a speaker!

--
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Little more done tonight, I started by sanding the kerfed areas, this was a little nerve racking as I didn’t want to sand through, after using this technique below by hand I finally built up some confidence and carefully sanded it with 150 grit in my RO sander, that went well. I was able to almost completely sand out the kerfs but I’m not sure I want to go all the way, see images below

After finish sanding the whole enclosure with 220, I applied a 1/2” roundover to all top, back and bottom edges

Trick with a 1/4” shank bit, bury it in the collet to prevent any flex of the shaft for a smoother cut.

Barely any burning or marks, full speed and full pass, ready for a quick sand with 220

Left edge after sanding, right before

All sanded and ready for the next step!

Thanks!
                            Javad
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Man! The patterns between sapwood and heartwood on the top half of that speaker are gorgeous! Can't wait to see how those finish up. Keep up the good work! Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by KEtheredge87; 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM. Reason: Didn't intend to quote Javad there... Your pictures are pretty, but I don't mean to double-up your post!
                              Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                              Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                              The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                              SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                              The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Looking good!
                                See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X