• Time
  • Show
Clear All

--
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Lookin good bud! I need to get to this stage of my own project to allow enough time for the crossover work. I'm getting more excited every week to hear everyone's designs. I'm especially interested to see how the horn loaded compression drivers do, since I've never messed with them before.

I see you went for the 90 uF polypropylene cap on the mid section, and used a 150 uF NPE cap for the woofer. Any reason you chose NPE for the woofer besides size / price? I'm still trying to learn when to make the trade-off between component cost and project sound. I know there's loads of opinion posts where folks try to compare NPE to poly caps, so I don't intend to interject one of those discussions here... just curious about your design process. Thanks in advance!
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
      SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
      The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87
        I see you went for the 90 uF polypropylene cap on the mid section, and used a 150 uF NPE cap for the woofer. Any reason you chose NPE for the woofer besides size / price? I'm still trying to learn when to make the trade-off between component cost and project sound. I know there's loads of opinion posts where folks try to compare NPE to poly caps, so I don't intend to interject one of those discussions here... just curious about your design process. Thanks in advance!
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
          Hey Keith! Only because it’s a series inline component and not a parallel shunt component, I’m not sure if it makes a difference but they were only $25 and they’re fun to hold and look at =)
          Dude... the lightbulb just turned on in my head! I had heard folks talking about components being in the signal path or being a shunt component before, but I hadn't really appreciated the impact that would have! Thanks!

Comment

Be advised- if it's in the circuit, it's in the signal path. This is AC circuitry, and audiophools don't understand that all parts matter.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Be advised- if it's in the circuit, it's in the signal path. This is AC circuitry, and audiophools don't understand that all parts matter.

Later,
              Wolf
              110 % correct.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by wolf View Post
                Originally posted by craigk View Post

110 % correct.
                Well then... I shan't be labeled an Audiophool! I'll start looking for some AC circuits and speakers "for dummies" references to bring myself up to speed

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf
                  This is AC circuitry, and audiophools don't understand that all parts matter.
                  --
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

Comment

Got the crossovers finalized and tested today, I ended up tweaking the lpad once I had components soldered in place on the board.

I increased R1 to 2 ohms and R3 to 5.6 to get response back to where I wanted it. Basic layout

And loaded up input and output leads

Woofer spade terminals

Mid push terminals

Binding post input leads

Thanks!
                    Javad
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Great thread ! As a wood worker of 35 years I can appreciate the skill.. The knowledge of the x overs and such is always cool

Comment

• Javad,
                        on your XO on the right there are two coils parallelnto each other and fairly close. Why not change the orientation of one to decrease interaction?

Comment

• Javad, is this how your company builds high performance car parts ? Ben's comments matter because somehow people think that parallel parts in a crossover don't contribute to the sound. Everything in the circuit contributes. Your answer is a little arrogant.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Originally posted by skatz View Post
                            Javad,
                            on your XO on the right there are two coils parallelnto each other and fairly close. Why not change the orientation of one to decrease interaction?
                            Thanks for the comment, yea I can they are about 4" apart and the response of this crossover is identical regardless of how I orient the coils, I did test it. Thanks!
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by craigk
                              Javad, is this how your company builds high performance car parts ? Ben's comments matter because somehow people think that parallel parts in a crossover don't contribute to the sound. Everything in the circuit contributes. Your answer is a little arrogant.
                              Craig your response is a little inflammatory, but you know I love you so I won't take the bait =) My point was, IF you can hear the difference between a electrolytic cap or a MKP or a foil cap or a $5 cap or a $100 cap, it only matters if you hear the difference. That's not arrogant, that's matter of fact, it's in agreement with what Ben said and simply a clarification, no need to demonize it.

I'd like to politely ask we keep the thread on topic, really not looking to get into a superficial back and forth about semantics, I can safely say I am in agreement with what Ben said and stand behind my clarification.

Thanks,
                              Javad

--
                              Javad Shadzi
                              Bay Area, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by cap View Post
                                Great thread ! As a wood worker of 35 years I can appreciate the skill.. The knowledge of the x overs and such is always cool
                                Thanks I appreciate the comment, and thank you for following along!

Javad
                                --
                                Javad Shadzi
                                Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X