X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JavadS
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
    Javad, I have never done kerfing, but plan to do so soon. Could you post the link to the online calculator you mentioned? Also, you mentioned you only used it to get into the right ballpark, how was it overall... Did it get you pretty close to where you needed to be or were your manual refinements pretty significant?
    You bet see https://www.blocklayer.com/kerf-spacingeng.aspx

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Javad, I have never done kerfing, but plan to do so soon. Could you post the link to the online calculator you mentioned? Also, you mentioned you only used it to get into the right ballpark, how was it overall... Did it get you pretty close to where you needed to be or were your manual refinements pretty significant?

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Hey Javad,

Nice work so far, I enjoy watching your progress as you go along.

I have a question on the kerf cuts. I've done a few of these in the past and have had issues with what has since been called "Faceting," or flat spots (similar to the facets on a jewel) showing up on the areas which have not been cut. These are amplified when a glossy finish is applied.

I don't see any on your project, and was wondering how you avoided it? My father tells me of a "Kerfing" saw blade he saw a woodworker use when he was young.....which was tapered so that the tip of the blade was more narrow in width, getting thicker, farther away from the cutting edge... designed specifically for doing just this. I stopped using this technique for curves, so I never looked further into it.

I've done a few things with kerf cuts in MDF, and if you just bump one of those little strips of wood the MDF just flakes apart, basically making it no better in those areas than 1/16" MDF, which isn't going to be very strong as we know. I'm sure solid wood performs much better in that regard.

It seems to me that since you are using solid wood, you could do a light sanding to 'round' the curve to perfect anyway if there was any slight faceting going on. Now that I'm thinking about it, the fact that your curve is perpendicular to the grain is really giving it some resistance to keep the curve rounded and not crease on the corner of the cut. Trying to bend what looks like about 3/32's of an inch of poplar against the grain would probably be hard to do without cracking it if it were not for the fact that the 'backer' pieces are keeping things held together. Sorry, just thinking out loud here...

Also, It's nice that the construction adhesive you used actually provided enough strength to keep the "C" shape in tact without any other support. That's gotta give you a nice feeling that it's going to help strengthen things up.

Anyway, basically what I'm trying to say is.... it looks fantastic so far. I'm a big fan of using real wood, though I almost never do!

Happy new year!
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• hardcorecap
    replied
    amazingly gorgeous build. nice job.

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Last edited by JavadS; 12-31-2017, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    That is one cool looking kerf corner. Good luck with the glue up and finishing process.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Convinced me

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Excellent - has been too long since a JavadS build thread!!! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to following along.

Leave a comment:

• Derekj
    replied
    Looking forward to more!

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    replied
    Originally posted by tom_s View Post
    Fabulous! Love the concept. I'm also very curious to hear your impressions of those MCM woofers.
    Thanks for following along Tom! Yes will do, seems like a very nice unit at a rock bottom price.

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Fabulous! Love the concept. I'm also very curious to hear your impressions of those MCM woofers.

Leave a comment:

• JavadS
    started a topic Pretty Persuasions - InDIY Coax Build Thread

Pretty Persuasions - InDIY Coax Build Thread

Working...
X