• Show
Clear All

• Any experience with Dayton RS270-8?

Hi all,

I asked you on advice on this smaller Dayton 8" Driver:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...dayton-rs225-8

And this resulted in this system:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-the-rfl-anact

Now, the time has come to start searching for the best 10" for a passive 3-way for my Citation 11/12 combo and, judging from my very good experience from Dayton, perhaps the corresponding 10" is just as good as the 8"?

I plan to cross it to a Peerless 5 1/2" or a Dayton dome mid (RS52AN-8) (Any thoughts on that?)

Well, is the 10" Dayton any good in your experience?

Regards//lasse
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

lasse - since you're in Sweden, you might also look at the Peerless 830668. I'm guessing it may not be as low in distortion as the RS270, but it does have a bit more Xmax. Tarkus builders might chime in here - I've only heard it at a DIY event years ago, despite having a pair sitting on the shelf for over a decade.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
      lasse - since you're in Sweden, you might also look at the Peerless 830668. I'm guessing it may not be as low in distortion as the RS270, but it does have a bit more Xmax. Tarkus builders might chime in here - I've only heard it at a DIY event years ago, despite having a pair sitting on the shelf for over a decade.

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

I still haven't used that Dayton driver, but have used many of the other Dayton RS drivers and not been disappointed. This project uses two of the drivers you mention, in a small box. I believe it was in the PE flyer years back: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/do...lack%20Box.pdf

Comment

Hi Lasse,

Another vote for the Peerless 830668. I'd try to fit it in a few more litres if you can, like 45L and go with an aperiodic vent. Super smooth frequency response and good extension when you consider room gain.
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

The Dayton RS drivers have been some of the best value/performance drivers since they came out. But if you are in Europe you have a large selection of drivers that
            ​maybe less cost. Not many builds or fans of that Dayton mid-dome, plenty of other options (inexpensive) to go with. The Tymphany TC line has some good value mids.

Comment

I used them in my 442 project. Nice woofer, likes sealed boxes, never tried it in a ported box as it requires lots of cubic feet. I used it up to 1K mated to an AMT PRO.
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                I used them in my 442 project. Nice woofer, likes sealed boxes, never tried it in a ported box as it requires lots of cubic feet. I used it up to 1K mated to an AMT PRO.
                Hi and thanks.

Your project looks very interesting as an inspiration for me but I cannot find a workable link to the design.

Can I ask you to post one?

Best Regards//Lasse
                Stockholm, Sweden

Comment

I never did a write up, per say, just the link to the pictures in my signature. If you have any particular questions, just ask.
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                    I never did a write up, per say, just the link to the pictures in my signature. If you have any particular questions, just ask.
                    Thanks,

I was mostly interested on your XO-design but I found that among the pictures.

Thanks!!

Regards//lasse

Comment

These are currently in use and make great HT speakers 4-10's definitely get the windows rattling!
                      A mains
                      The Ventures
                      Open Invit8tions
                      RSR
                      Sound Troopers
                      Acorns
                      DGBG's
                      The Monuments

Comment

Lasse, I have a pair of Rs270-8's. I use them as music (sub)woofers. Each is in a 125-liter box with a 3-inch two-flared-ends port, 4.7-inches long. I drive them using a Dayton APA-150. I have the APA-150 set to lowpass = 75 Hz. My regular speakers are modified Statement 2's, each of which includes two Rs225's. The Rs270-8's add a "warmth" to the low end. I like them. I don't use them for television or movies. I don't play music very loud. Usually, 80dB max. At this moment, I am seeing how loud they can play, using my little Triplett Sonichek dB meter. The reading I get is that, in my cabinets, with the Sonichek right in front of the cabinet, about 100 dBc before they start popping. That's not quite as loud as Bassbox 6 Lite says. Also, that's not loud enough to sound or feel like I'm in the front row at a rock concert. But it is enough for dancing in the middle of the room. If I ever feel the need more power, I don't know whether I would switch to an Rs315 (or two) or add two more Rs270-8s to ease the load on each driver. Since I have lots of space, I might well do the latter.

Comment

If I were making a 3 way I'd go for the rs270p; a bit more efficient, more bass in a smaller box. I was thinking of making a 10" sealed 3 way in fact.

Comment

The efficiency looks good on the 4 ohm 225p, and upper end looks a little smoother than the 10. I like the idea of the 270p, but with an 80hz crossover i think the 225p looks like a better deal, price wise. Price jumps up a bit from the 225 to the 270. Not sure why. Is the 10 really that much more efficient?

I could easily buy both sizes since a have plenty of stuff to work with. But just curious which one to use for what.
                            3 way does sound like a great idea. Also, a nice, efficient 2 way with waveguide...

If i do buy a 270p, i will post my experience...

Comment

Working...
                            X