duplicating Cerwin Vega AT-15's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duplicating Cerwin Vega AT-15's

if you were to duplicate the Cerwin Vega AT-15's , what drivers would you use ?
    donc

Originally posted by donc View Post
    if you were to duplicate the Cerwin Vega AT-15's , what drivers would you use ?
    donc
    ​I wouldn't. However, if I were to attempt a duplicate, I'd go on eBay and look for actual Cerwin Vega woofers, etc.

Comment

DonC, I have a pair of Cerwin-Vega CH-203A's that need a home...BTW, anyone else want a good pair of "Rock-N'-Roll" speakers? The 15" woofer does give the bass you feel in your chest. 60 WPC in most rooms would probably cause hearing damage...
      "Cerwin-Vega, THE name in LOUD-speakers." C-V ad circa 1975...

Comment

What is it you like about the AT-15s? Not being a wise guy, just curious what you're looking for. Also, what's your budget?
        Francis

Comment

Also, I'm guessing the choice of drivers is kind of secondary. The sound you're looking for most likely is from a hump in the bass and a somewhat rolled-off treble. So, woofer box tuning and crossover are key.
          Francis

Comment

I hate saying this, but the cost of a 15” woofer, especially a high efficiency one, is going to be somewhat costly. I would say since large older speakers are considered clutter by so many people nowadays and almost given away, I would try to just find a used set of AT15s. Other challenges will be finding a pair of mids to keep up with a 95+dB woofer losing nothing to bsc that close to the floor, much less at a 300-400 crossover point especially considering possibly a couple dB of bsc loss on the bottom end of the mid response. Beyond that you will almost certainly be looking at a bullet or horn tweeter to keep up, which likely will not have the same sound signature as the cv foam dome. I know the cv speakers likely have overstated efficiency but they certainly are efficient. If you would forego a high efficiency design, and shoot for standard level efficiency I think you have an open book to easily and affordably better the vega.

If you want to try for an efficient design, I know these aren’t real popular, but this woofer seems to offer a good balance of sensitivity, lf extension, and reasonable box size (so long as the ts specs are close to the manufacturer specs):

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...4-ohm--290-336

Maybe a pair of these with mid tunnels open to the rear:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eaker--295-015

And this up top:

https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...-x-90--290-536

Comment

i forgot to mention this was just for fun , i know the size and sound quality of the CV's do not meet anyone's standards . i was thinking a SB 96dB tweeter , 2 SS revs and an AE spb !?
              donc

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                i forgot to mention this was just for fun , i know the size and sound quality of the CV's do not meet anyone's standards . i was thinking a SB 96dB tweeter , 2 SS revs and an AE spb !?
                donc
                that sounds kind of pricey for just for fun .... but i love big speakers , i say go for it !
                Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

Working...
                X