Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two systems for the price of one??

Hello,

I wonder if this thing is a common “feature” among us or if it in a not-very-good idea for some reason?

The idea is to install a vent and tune it in such a way that a woofer-system is comfortable with both a CB-configuration and also a VB-alignment. In this way you can choose in the future!!

As an example, I have a thought that for a future system, I will arrange the following in (the same, of course) an a 45L box for a Dayton RS-270-8:
    CB 45L, Qtc=0.80 F3=45,7 Hz
    VB 45L, Dvent=5cm, Lvent=9 cm, F3=37,7 Hz

Best regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden, Europe

Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

I've seen people do that. The reasons I've seen quoted are to account for room placement, for example closing the port if bass is excessive, or closing the port if a subwoofer is used. Sometimes people decide they prefer the closed box sound, too.
    Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
      ... to account for room placement, for example closing the port if bass is excessive, or closing the port if a subwoofer is used....
      Precisely what I did with my Focal "Eggs" ( as per the recommendations )

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post
          Ok, I have to admit something.....

I had some friends over and some preferred the CB and some, the VB.

So we ended up blockning the vent on one of the speakers and everyone was happy with the sound.

Horrible, isn’t it?

// Lasse
          Not horrible
          Things improved when I blocked ports AND added Subs

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
            Not horrible
            Things improved when I blocked ports AND added Subs
            ...but to mix CB and VB in the same system?

I suppose that if it sounds right, it IS right...

//lasse

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post

...but to mix CB and VB in the same system?

I suppose that if it sounds right, it IS right...

//lasse
              With the Focals, I was experimenting with different types of subs ( 80s/90s )
              Current in-wall MTMs are Sealed, with Large Reflex Subs on floor ( driving below 70hz ). Full Active crossover with sufficient flexibility so integration isn't an issue.

Comment

3 for the price of one actually:

You can run it closed box, bass reflex, or lightly stuff the port with damping material for an aperiodic vent ;-)
                Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  3 for the price of one actually:

You can run it closed box, bass reflex, or lightly stuff the port with damping material for an aperiodic vent ;-)
                  yes, when I helped a friend to refurbish a pair of JBL L100s, I ended up stuffing the ports with a pair of (black) tightly rolled sports-socks.

Se the folder on that in my "media"-folder if interesting. (Not much info on the socks, though....)

regards//lasse

Comment

Working...
                  X