Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olu78
    replied
    Given everything you discussed, and all that is understood about the art/science of speaker design, while not getting too far off topic, Wolf where does the Cecropia Supreme fall amongst your best sounding speaker designs? Why? Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I've thought this before as well, Olu. It's likely why some prefer ribbons since they have a bit more second order naturally. I like a lot of different tweeters, but I don't like them all.

One of my experienced examples was the difference between the old RS28A and the 27TBFC. The word JeffB used at the time was 'splashy' to describe the difference in the sound of cymbals through the TBFC, as compared to the RS28A not sounding that way and being more distinct and refined. I still like the way the old RS28A rendered the ride cymbal.

Not that HD is everything, as I've liked some high HD tweeters as well like the Beston RT003C. It is not a low HD device, but it has its own likeable sound, and renders brushed cymbals and piano really well.

I will also say this though. Of all of my builds, the lowest HD is in the midrange on my Cecropia Supremes, and it just sounds like there is "nothing added" where the music comes through as sent from the player. Sterile or lifeless is not the word I would use to describe this, but I have heard sterile on a well designed pair before. I really think tonal balance can be the key factor changing between lifeless, clean, and sterile; if the drivers are low enough HD to reproduce songs as mixed/intended. For example; If you focus on the tilted down response as your preferred balance, this could be due to higher HD tweeters. Once that issue is removed, flat response may actually be more appropriate to keep them from sounding 'dead'. Off-axis/power response also plays a key role here, for the same reason as before, getting more lively response and needing to tilt the treble down might not be preferable to that of a ring-radiator with low HD needing flat response to sound right.

It's all a balancing act,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied
    I wonder if the "lifeless" sound has anything to do with the low 2nd order distortion. Its -60db and almost -70db at some frequencies. In some Scanspeak and Satori tweeters, 2nd order distortion is often in the -40db to -50db neighborhood. Perhaps that is due to listener preference? If only it was as simple as finding the lowest distortion drivers and ....... Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    That's a fact! They sounded lifeless compared to the Wavecors, I will need to revisit them soon.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Interesting.  There is still a lot that we can't measure.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Me too. Wow! -40dB is about 1.2k breach, just as specified. -50dB at 2.1k, and below there until 13k!
    Seems pretty stout to me...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied
    Okay thanks. I see it now! Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied
    Regarding post #54, it shows up as a bunch of gibberish, and strange text. Perhaps there is some forum related issue. Its not the first time I have seen it here. Can you characterize your opinion on the distortion performance? Thanks again Xmax.. Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    I think PE took it down, I posted it twice. I will remove the RST from the graph and try again. Click image for larger version

Name:	peer hd.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	1376483

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I have a broken link icon in #54 when I look at it.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Originally posted by olu78 View Post
    Xmax for some reason, the measurements of the Peerless vs Dayton are not visible.... Thx Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Post #54

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied
    wd this tweet be a good match for the 18W Rev? Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Harvylogan
    replied
    I wounder how this would do in a build like the Apollo? Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied
    Xmax for some reason, the measurements of the Peerless vs Dayton are not visible.... Thx Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X