No announcement yet.

Poll: InDIYana 2019 theme selections...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booked for the 26th! I'll be there to hang, speaker or not. I have a paper design that looks like it'll work, just have to make it to reality!

I just gave "DIY SPEAKER" as the group, got the same $119 rate.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

• I got confirmation on all of you. I even learned that Steve Katz and Marvin Schaap are coming because of it.
      Thanks, guys, problem remedied!
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• What is the footprint of the 22" provided stand?

Comment

• Wolf , when can we expect to get event music? Since I have my speakers mostly finished, would love to demo music, can't wait for the event, thanks!

Javad
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Oh, come on, Javad...
            You know I don't make the theme disc, and I don't release the house tracks before the event.

Later,
            Wolf
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveFred View Post
              What is the footprint of the 22" provided stand?
              You want the stand's top-dims or bottom-dims? Either way, Chuck will be bringing the stands. isaeagle4031 Paging Chuck!

Later,
              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• So I confirmed that Patrick G. will be attending again this year. I don't know if he'll have a theme project with him or not. I'm sure he'll bring something with him regardless.

Going to be working on my new crossovers for the Sedoso probably within the coming weeks. Might end up finishing them soon too. We'll see. I plan on doing a full write up on them once I have them completed and I'm happy with them.
                All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  Oh, come on, Javad...
                  You know I don't make the theme disc, and I don't release the house tracks before the event.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  I'm not planning to attend, so this doesn't really affect me, but I've been curious about why some events take this approach (i.e., not announcing the test tracks in advance). At previous events, one of my biggest listening challenges has been unfamiliarity with the music selections.

What are the upsides to keeping this secret? Several years ago, I recall someone opining that it would be too easy to design speakers to shine specifically on the test tracks. I'm skeptical. While the typical 5-15 minutes of listening to each speaker may not be sufficient to fully evaluate each's strengths and weaknesses, I'd think that reasonably careful selections of tracks should be sufficient to mitigate most of that issue. And if that's not sufficient, maybe there could be a single surprise track.

My opinion is that the downsides of unfamiliarity far far outweigh the benefits of discouraging the ability to "cheat" by tuning to the tests.

What am I missing? Or do others just disagree with my assessments of the merits?

Thanks

Steve Boyce

Comment

• My opinion is that keeping test tracks secret until the event will lead to better designs overall. Yes... there is the idea that one can design just around the test tracks to try and outshine the competition, but that's not what this hobby is really about. Designing a speaker that sounds its best on any given material is a more interesting challenge, and makes sure that I'm not constantly adjusting the crossover to sound good on different songs.

Also - we tend to give out event discs that have the test tracks on them, so if you attend and take those discs you have some sample material that should help design a good speaker for next year! It's usually some combination of tracks that would give good clear highs, very deep lows, and various midrange vocals and instrument timbres to really expose any flaws in your design. All that to say - you can do a pretty good job designing for 2019 competitions by using sample tracks from 2018, 2017, etc.
                    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                    The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

• Hey Wolf, just check the site and noticed my name isn't on there. I'll have a theme pair, it'd be a shame to get that together and be excluded due to the entrance limit. I'll make it happen!
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music
                      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

You want the stand's top-dims or bottom-dims? Either way, Chuck will be bringing the stands. isaeagle4031 Paging Chuck!

Later,
                        Wolf
                        The size of the shelf the speaker will sit on?

And I assume it is a pedestal style stand not a fancy cantilevered balancing act type?

Comment

Oh, come on, Javad...
                          Ahh, wasn't aware that was a thing or a secret, so it's intentional?

--
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

• Wogg- I'll add you! Don't know how I missed you.

Javad- yes, it's intentionally revealed at the event and not before. Not even I know what is on the theme disc. In the last few years, Shawn has had some life problems and wasn't able to get me the theme discs he created by attendance or even mail, but he is intending on coming this year with it in-tow again. Show must go on, so we opted for something present and available when that has occurred in the past.

Looking forward to it, guys!
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• I "think" the tops will be about 12" w and 14" d. Still working on them.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• If I buy port tubes are those costs included inn the $300/pair limit?
                                "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
                                X