Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Into The Abyss", Tweeters in low places

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And here is the Peerless TX 32 in Pete's Elliptical WG. Click image for larger version

Name:	TX 32.png
Views:	381
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	1383907
    Guess xmax's age.

    My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

    Comment


    • That rs28 and guide looks great guys. Very interesting! I'd like to try one if the file is available and design is finalized.
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

      Comment


      • Originally posted by xmax View Post

        Something like "Audyssey" is generally designed for FR correction in the low end as far as I know. That said EQ is EQ whether in the passive XO,
        or boosting with a active setup, as long as the results sound good I'm happy.

        In wall (or "soffit" mounted for us studio rats.) can do all sorts of good things including eliminate diffraction. Although most housing does not have
        walls designed for this sort of thing, with both construction and optimum driver position/angle.

        More testing tonight including the TX32 in the same guide.
        Audyssey will work across the full frequency spectrum, not just the low end. Here's a chart that I had that compares the different flavors.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	AudysseyComparison.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1383914

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
          That rs28 and guide looks great guys. Very interesting! I'd like to try one if the file is available and design is finalized.
          I just sent Xmax a new file of a 1.5” deep 6x9 elliptical guide. It’s set up to match the RST28. I’ve generated the file using Vectric Aspire.
          I can send you a DXF with all the vectors and you can assign the cut depths yourself if the Aspire file won’t work for you.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

          95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

          Comment


          • What diameter intake are you guys using to fit the most tweeter models?

            Comment


            • All these need about 1.73", the test WG was 1.8" a little big, you can see in post #88.
              Guess xmax's age.

              My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

              Comment


              • I'm going to be getting some waveguides made and could probably do a new model if we nailed down a shape and definitive intake diameter. I might be under the gun on time, but I'll find out soon.

                Comment


                • If some small variance in depth is acceptable, and a replacement faceplate can be used, you might consider designing the guide with several faceplates to accommodate different tweeters. This is relatively easy for round guides.

                  Elliptical guides require a somewhat more complex throat transition surface to reconsile different throat diameters to a given guide contour. The transition surface complexity results because changing the throat depth, as can be done with a round guide to accommodate different tweeter surround diameters, alters the opening from round to oval. Producing the transition faceplates for elliptical guides might be a good application for a 3D printer. This adds another part to the mix, but is worth the trouble to avoid complete separate elliptical guides for each tweeter.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                    If some small variance in depth is acceptable, and a replacement faceplate can be used, you might consider designing the guide with several faceplates to accommodate different tweeters. This is relatively easy for round guides.

                    Elliptical guides require a somewhat more complex throat transition surface to reconsile different throat diameters to a given guide contour. The transition surface complexity results because changing the throat depth, as can be done with a round guide to accommodate different tweeter surround diameters, alters the opening from round to oval. Producing the transition faceplates for elliptical guides might be a good application for a 3D printer. This adds another part to the mix, but is worth the trouble to avoid complete separate elliptical guides for each tweeter.
                    This last guide I drew up has a 45 degree vertical opening angle and just under 45 horizontal. It would be pretty simple to scale up the guide so that a .125” adapter plate could be made to match the circular throat and transition to the guide walls very smoothly.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                    95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                    Comment


                    • Can a mid/extended range speaker like this be used as a tweeter crossed at 500hz? https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...river--264-805

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

                        This last guide I drew up has a 45 degree vertical opening angle and just under 45 horizontal. It would be pretty simple to scale up the guide so that a .125” adapter plate could be made to match the circular throat and transition to the guide walls very smoothly.
                        Seems like a good approach, as I mentioned above though, the transition surface over a short distance, the .125" you suggest, can become somewhat complex, and limited, but it does provide an opportunity to try different tweeters in the same guide, although, the throat configuration does change. I suppose in the interest of science, some additional design, milling or printing, and testing should be done to see how the throat changes affect the guide output. I suspect there is negligable audible difference.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

                          I just sent Xmax a new file of a 1.5” deep 6x9 elliptical guide. It’s set up to match the RST28. I’ve generated the file using Vectric Aspire.
                          I can send you a DXF with all the vectors and you can assign the cut depths yourself if the Aspire file won’t work for you.
                          If you can send me the aspire file that would be swell! Is this for the fabric of aluminum btw? I tried to pm you but it wont let me send anything. Can you pm me your email please?
                          My Build Thread's
                          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mike220 View Post

                            If you can send me the aspire file that would be swell! Is this for the fabric of aluminum btw? I tried to pm you but it wont let me send anything. Can you pm me your email please?
                            Probably can’t send PM because of the screwed up extended character map they’re using for the forum.

                            Pete underscore schumacher at yahoo dot com

                            won’t be home until tomorrow night.
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                            95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TN Allen View Post

                              Seems like a good approach, as I mentioned above though, the transition surface over a short distance, the .125" you suggest, can become somewhat complex, and limited, but it does provide an opportunity to try different tweeters in the same guide, although, the throat configuration does change. I suppose in the interest of science, some additional design, milling or printing, and testing should be done to see how the throat changes affect the guide output. I suspect there is negligable audible difference.
                              The piece could consist of a ring with a 45 degree chamfer around a circular opening. As long as the chamfer meets up with the circular throat it should work fine
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                              95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                              Comment


                              • It seems as though it should work well. You could use a little more or less than 45° to make the transition smoother if necessary. It depends upon how well it is to follow the contour of the guide. Though, I've found with elliptical guides it's best to model it. If a 45° chamfer will work, it makes sense to use it.

                                A second option is to make the throat opening surface perpendicular to the face plate faces, mount the plate without the tweeter, sand or file it to blend with the guide surface. Then remove the FP, mount the tweeter, mount the tweeter FP combination. Your 45° plate could be faired the same way if necessary. The only drawback is that you wouldn't have the entire geometry delineated with sanding and filing for future reference. But that probably isn't all of that important anyway for prototyping, and I doubt the audible difference between the modeled contour and hand/eye faired would be irrelevant.

                                ​​​​​​

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X