• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any progress, @Ironman?
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Any progress, @Ironman?
      Later,
      Wolf
      Unfortunately I am out of the country for the next week. I was hoping to get it assembled before I left but that did not happen. :(

Scott

Comment

No- Unibox will not do PR-bandpasses. You model the BPST as it has, then model the PR box with the desired volume and PR and find your tuning mass. (I'm pretty sure it says on the graphic I posted that Unibox won't do it without doing 3 separate models. I put that at the bottom of the graphic) Then you make sure the PR will be fine at level for Xmax in its response.

Later,
        Wolf
        Wolf

HI Ben trying to understand the 3 step process. Band pass model gives two boxes (one with driver larger volume) and the one with the port (smaller volume). The bigger volume becomes the sealed box model - or rather plug in the sealed box volume as the larger box and take half the volume for the smaller box. Take this smaller volume and input into the PR model and add the PR parameters. What are we aiming for the PR mass tuning? The lower F3 from the band pass model or something that looks good for the PR mass model

Also, modelling the driver with the PR for normal PR modelling is required or desired to find out which PR is a good fit or find s PR with the small box volume that hits the desired F3 with the weight the PR can handle.

Comment

Tune the PR to the Fb of the port in the bandpass model.

You have to then model the active driver in the resulting vented bandpass volume with the PR as a PR model to check xmax on both the driver and PR. This will tell you if the PR can handle the load, and estimate mass requirements. Of note is keeping the PR volume small to raise its Fb to at or above the port Fb so that it can be tuned lower a smidge to measure and hit your target. Most PRs already have sufficient mass as they are tuned very low.

I try to keep the alignment from becoming a loss, and not deviate from about +/-1dB in terms of gain. Take the diameter of the PR, and use it or just over as the H and W of cabinet, and then align depth to rear-most PR mass excursion plus about 1-1.5" to keep them from colliding under operation. This is my initial guess at PR volume when I model one. Drive the tuning up of the PR, and make the volume small for better coupling of the elements involved. Of course, the PR must allow the active driver to fit through it, or have a rear entrance for mounting. Double wall the active mount for collision reduction as well as strength, and recess driver into it.

That help?
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Tune the PR to the Fb of the port in the bandpass model.

You have to then model the active driver in the resulting vented bandpass volume with the PR as a PR model to check xmax on both the driver and PR. This will tell you if the PR can handle the load, and estimate mass requirements. Of note is keeping the PR volume small to raise its Fb to at or above the port Fb so that it can be tuned lower a smidge to measure and hit your target. Most PRs already have sufficient mass as they are tuned very low.

I try to keep the alignment from becoming a loss, and not deviate from about +/-1dB in terms of gain. Take the diameter of the PR, and use it or just over as the H and W of cabinet, and then align depth to rear-most PR mass excursion plus about 1-1.5" to keep them from colliding under operation. This is my initial guess at PR volume when I model one. Drive the tuning up of the PR, and make the volume small for better coupling of the elements involved. Of course, the PR must allow the active driver to fit through it, or have a rear entrance for mounting. Double wall the active mount for collision reduction as well as strength, and recess driver into it.

That help?
            Wolf
            it helped a bit. I'll try modelling with a driver and PR and see how far i can get...!

Comment

Working...
            X