6.5" 4 ohm drivers for car audio use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
    Definitely not a one way thing. I knocked out the plugs on my RSR project and reanodized them red and glued them back in. Also did the ones on my 442 project. You definitely want to remove them if you plan on cutting them down, otherwise you’d end up with all kinda junk in the VC gap. It is really as easy as JR stated.
    Now I'm intrigued. Anyone have any pictures of one of these things with the phase plug off? What does the pole look like with it off? I'm curious about if there's a possibility of converting it to a coax by replacing the phase plug with a tweeter (pole-mounted or not)...
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Someone did just that - showed it at Indy if I recall correctly.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Nick (Ugly woofer), Americana's, he did it. Basically it looks like a standard pole piece with a vent hole
        A mains
        The Ventures
        Open Invit8tions
        RSR
        Sound Troopers
        Acorns
        DGBG's
        The Monuments

Comment

The Americana's also won the over $200 category at MWAF. Here is his thread including the DIY coaxial.

Comment

So, I've decided to go with the RS180s for my upgrade. Four of them are making their way to me as I write this .

A question about the phase plug - is it solid or hollow? the reason that I'm asking is that, if it's too long for the driver to fit behind the tweeter as previously discussed, I'm thinking of just using a Dremel and shaving part of the phase plug off to allow the driver to fit.

Jeez, brand new drivers at $51 a pop and I'm already thinking of modifying them.

The mounting diameter is actually 1mm smaller than the Silver Flute 6.5s, so they should fit right in to the existing cutouts.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Just remember to remove the phase plug before grinding on them.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

They are solid aluminum
                A mains
                The Ventures
                Open Invit8tions
                RSR
                Sound Troopers
                Acorns
                DGBG's
                The Monuments

Comment

I’ll add another vote of confidence for you. I just knocked them out of a pair of RS270P drivers. Super easy and they can be put right back in if need be. Actually I wish I had 8 of those phase plugs, I think they would make an awesome set of speaker feet!

Comment

I just had a sudden thought - I wonder if it's possible to replace the phase plug with a hollow aluminum pole mount for the tweeter, essentially converting the RS180 into a coaxial speaker...?

Hmm......!

Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                      I just had a sudden thought - I wonder if it's possible to replace the phase plug with a hollow aluminum pole mount for the tweeter, essentially converting the RS180 into a coaxial speaker...?
                      That is a splendid idea . I have used a short piece of PVC pipe to mount tweeters also.

Comment

Thought a few of you might be interested in this - visual comparison between the ubiquitous Silver Flute W17RC38-4 6.5" driver and the Dayton Audio RS180P-4 7" driver. The RS180P has a larger mounting flange than the W17RC38, but the W17RC38 tops it in cone area and magnet size. Even the tinsel leads look more sturdy. Hmm... now I'm beginning to wonder if the RS180Ps will survive weekend-level playing like the Silver Flute drivers did...

On the bright side, if your car can accommodate the RS180P's wider flange, then you should have no problem replacing the Silver Flute drivers with the RS180Ps, if you want to, of course.
                        Brian Steele
                        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                        X