Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossovers for Dayton Audio B652-AIR 6-1/2" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossovers for Dayton Audio B652-AIR 6-1/2" ?

I just purchased these, and while reading the reviews, I came across this one:
    I've installed many pairs of these in homes and small commercial venues...using 4,500Hz crossovers to prevent the distortion that happens when a driver reproduces frequencies with wavelengths shorter than its diameter (or something like that (laugh)). Installing the crossovers is approximately a 20-minute job requiring a Phillips screwdriver, a bit of extra wire, and a soldering iron. Out of the box, the B652-AIR is one of the best buys in HiFi. With the addition of the crossover, it becomes incredibly 'clean' and absolutely sublime...surpassing the overall sound of units many times its cost.
    What is he referring to, high pass, low pass, both or what?
    I see some crossovers here on this site that refer to high and low, and one that refers to neither.
    (Link below)

For the price of this speaker, I think I can afford to upgrade it.
    Help please?
    Thanks,

bbqjoe
    Parts Express stocks and ships fast - 4,500hz crossover Parts Express is your #1 Source for Audio, Video and Speaker Building Components.

Hello

I found a discussion thread in PETT, and a member suggested looking at the following:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html

The suggested crossover mods relate to the standard B652, rather than the AIR version, but you may find the discussion informative.

A search of PETT might bring up some ideas about the AIR version.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
      Hello

I found a discussion thread in PETT, and a member suggested looking at the following:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html

The suggested crossover mods relate to the standard B652, rather than the AIR version, but you may find the discussion informative.

A search of PETT might bring up some ideas about the AIR version.

Hope this helps

Geoff
      Thank you for your reply.
      I find it funny, the reviews on these are either really good, or really bad.
      But it sure looks like a lot of people own them.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqjoe View Post
        I find it funny, the reviews on these are either really good, or really bad.
        I think they are "really good" for the money. But they are not as good as say the C-note, which is only a $100 speaker pair.

I doubt that pre-made crossover would help much. If there is a custom crossover for the Air speakers, like what Zaph was doing, that would probably be an improvement. Also, you could build a better cabinet, keeping dimensions the same.

The conclusion was that it likely wasn't worth the money to do these modifications, but I think if you already have them its a nice project to dip your feet into a DIY speaker, which will likely lead you to build a better kit down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqjoe View Post
          I just purchased these, and while reading the reviews, I came across this one:
          What is he referring to, high pass, low pass, both or what?
          I see some crossovers here on this site that refer to high and low, and one that refers to neither.
          (Link below)

For the price of this speaker, I think I can afford to upgrade it.
          Help please?
          Thanks,

bbqjoe
          It is already crossed at 4.5khz, so not sure what that review was referring to. Google 'NoAudiophile B652 Air'. He did a review of this speaker, including measurements. The simplest mod you can try is reversing the tweeter polarity, which flattens the response somewhat albeit with a 3k peak per NoAudiophile.

Comment

Here's an old PETT discussion thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...2-air-improved

Geoff

Comment

I'll probably just leave these things alone. If they sound ok, then fine.
              I just recalled I have a pair of Bose 301's that just need the foam replaced.
              I have a huge desk.

Comment

FWIW, I just took delivery of a new pair of B652-AIRs, and Dayton/PE has apparently adopted the tweeter polarity reversal idea -- now, if they would just increase the value of the dropping resistor wired in series between the high-pass capacitor and the tweeter from 3 to 5 ohms, they'd have themselves a truly superb "entry-level" speaker. BTW, the easiest way to accomplish that as a mod is to remove the tweeter, unsolder the lead from the smaller of the two solder lugs, solder a 2 ohm (a 3 watt part is more than adequate) resistor between that lug and the lead you just unsoldered, and reinstall the tweeter -- that way there's no need to pry the existing resistor out of the glue that secures it!
                Last edited by editorjuno; 01-25-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by editorjuno View Post
                  FWIW, I just took delivery of a new pair of B652-AIRs, and Dayton/PE has apparently adopted the tweeter polarity reversal idea --
                  editorjuno - are you saying that the polarity reversal on the tweeter is no longer needed? I just got a pair of B652-AIRs delivered today, and that was first on my list of mods. Is there a quick way to eyeball/confirm the polarity configuration if I take the speaker apart?

Also, I'm going to adopt your 2 ohm resistor idea - my first impression listening is that the AMT tweeter is very good and clear, but a bit hot.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X