Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Love For B&C 6NDL38 driver?

Hi To All,
    I'm considering using this driver in a larger 3 way for mid range duty. Crossover points are going to be 200 hz and 2.2 khz (approx.). Can anyone give their listening impressions of this driver? Is the frequency response as smooth and controlled as seen on manufacture graphs? If any in-box measurements could be posted, that would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance,
    Rich

I've never used the 6NDL38, but I've used the 6MDN44 and it's a great driver. The FR matches up with B&Cs published data very well. Just keep in mind that peak in the response is VERY real, but is only on-axis.

Comment

Only experience I have is with the 10" 10PLB76, and I too will be using it for midrange duty I did a "shootout" between 8 of what I consider top-tier 10" midbass drivers, and the B&C did better in HD than others costing almost 2x as much, and overall ranked very high on my list, beaten by only one other midbass (using my criteria). I would not hesitate to recommend you try it out and see if your measurements fit your design criteria.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I appreciate both responses. I was also considering the Dayton Audio PM180 in this application but for some reason this driver is calling my name. Everything about the 6NDL38 meets my needs, except that it might be a slight challenge to flush mount in cabinet.

Best Regards,
        Rich

Comment

My only comments is I'd worry about the peak, and the off-axis response pattern at 2.2kHz. It may kind of narrow up there...
          Francis

Comment

Thanks fpitas,
            I intended to address the peak in the xover design. As for off axis, I may look to lower where I cross to tweeter once measurements are taken. It may require purchase of tweeters that can go lower then the ones I currently have. The Dayton RST28A (my original tweeter choice)might be able to go a bit lower then 2k. I have winter around the corner here in snowy Idaho so plenty of time to take measurements and arrive at the best approach.

Best,
            Rich

Comment

Rich, the peak may prove troublesome if it's only on-axis. Then if you notch it, the power response suffers off-axis. A lower crossover would minimize the problem.
              Francis

Comment

I have been running the 8PS21 for the last 10 years and still love them. I cross them at 2khz without issues, very smooth power response.

Comment

Thanks 300Z,
                  That is encouraging to know. I'm inclined to give them a try.

Comment

I remeasured some drivers so that things were more standardized as far as graph scale and drive levels. The graphs should be more informative and the same for every driver. All drivers should have a THD at 96dB now. I figure that's a good enough level to represent high output-and not fry a SS9800 8O Hopefully I can get some new ones tomarrow.
                    https://subwaysurfers.vip/
                    https://psiphon.vip/
                    https://hillclimbracing.vip/
                    Last edited by ikama23; 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ikama23 View Post
                      I remeasured some drivers so that things were more standardized as far as graph scale and drive levels. The graphs should be more informative and the same for every driver. All drivers should have a THD at 96dB now. I figure that's a good enough level to represent high output-and not fry a SS9800 8O Hopefully I can get some new ones tomarrow.
                      Are these measurements that you will be sharing?

96 dB @ 1m? I do my THD tests at no less than 105 dB/1m.

Comment

Working...
                      X