Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Measurement Amp on Fantastic Sale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civit
    replied
    I have an even smaller smsl desktop amp which does a good 30 watts or more. Great for testing, but I'm thinking of replacing the pot with something with steps for repeatable settings.

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    I've got a Lepai 2020A+ powering a pair of Overnight Sensations TM's in my kitchen and I've been thinking of upgrading to a better amp. I was looking at the Dayton APA150 a while ago but didn't buy one. With this price, I may have to buy this Franklin version. Do you guys think it would be a worth while improvement?
    Only in terms of power. Not sound quality. The APA150 should be used exactly as specified by the thread title - as a utility for building and testing speakers. I've had the APA150. More than once in fact. Sold one set, then bought another a few years in this hobby thinking maybe I missed something. I compared it to another, MUCH better but discontinued Class AB, the Amp Three. I also compared it with a ClassDAudio IR2092 amp IIRC. The APA150 just isn't very good for full range listening IMO. BUT it is okay for subs and as a no-fuss backup amp for testing and what have you.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    My kitchen will be rocking a little harder soon šŸ™‚ To make it even better, I found a $10 coupon code. Thanks for sharing Tom!

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied

Really? What did you see in the reviews for the Dayton version that concerned you? I'm considering buying one and would like to know before I buy. I thought the reviews looked good...
    It probably is fine for what you have in mind. I read the reviews that were two or three stars. Sometimes reviews make it harder to decide on a purchase, because some consumers may be unlucky, or may have caused an issue with a product. I have several 5, or 6 channel amps, and really have no use for more. I measure in my HT room/ man cave with the same amp that I use for the system.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Hmmm, the slope of the Franklin is listed at 18 db/octave and the Dayton at 12 db/octave... both 50-150 adjustable. I'm guessing that's a typo... can't imagine they would be different, but who knows.
    RPB, good see!
    jeff, if you often crank it up, the Franklin might be a good step up. Plus it could live on for other uses over the years too. But don't let me spend your dough. šŸ˜
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied
    I've got a Lepai 2020A+ powering a pair of Overnight Sensations TM's in my kitchen and I've been thinking of upgrading to a better amp. I was looking at the Dayton APA150 a while ago but didn't buy one. With this price, I may have to buy this Franklin version. Do you guys think it would be a worth while improvement? Or, is the Lepai good enough?
    This Franklin amp will be a huge step up.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by rpb View Post

I think I saw different low pass filters listed. The reviews on the PE version made me uncomfortable about purchasing one. (Not that I need one anyway.)
    Really? What did you see in the reviews for the Dayton version that concerned you? I'm considering buying one and would like to know before I buy. I thought the reviews looked good...

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Pulled the trigger on one. Maybe in Nov grab another.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by mattk View Post

Shouldn't be any difference. Someone posted about Franklin a while back, and PE explained that Franklin is PE's brand for installers.
    I think I saw different low pass filters listed. The reviews on the PE version made me uncomfortable about purchasing one. (Not that I need one anyway.)

Leave a comment:

• mattk
    replied
    Originally posted by tmhutson View Post
    And idea what the difference is from the Dayton? I bought one a while ago. Just bought an open box special, and may buy another at this price. I am going to play with active setup in the future.
    Shouldn't be any difference. Someone posted about Franklin a while back, and PE explained that Franklin is PE's brand for installers.

Leave a comment:

• tmhutson
    replied
    And idea what the difference is from the Dayton? I bought one a while ago. Just bought an open box special, and may buy another at this price. I am going to play with active setup in the future.

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    And apparently, Iā€™m now seasoned!! šŸ˜

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    To bad the shipping cost to sweden make the price close to list price in sweden.

regards//lasse

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    I've got a Lepai 2020A+ powering a pair of Overnight Sensations TM's in my kitchen and I've been thinking of upgrading to a better amp. I was looking at the Dayton APA150 a while ago but didn't buy one. With this price, I may have to buy this Franklin version. Do you guys think it would be a worth while improvement? Or, is the Lepai good enough?

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    You guys get what I'm talking about.

And I forgot one of the best parts... that nice warm "transistory" smell once it gets up to temp!
    šŸ˜

Leave a comment:

Working...
X