Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone to cut wood for me for The Bordeaux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone to cut wood for me for The Bordeaux!

Hello all!

Been a while since I posted here, or built a DIY speaker (currently using some vintage Maggies that I modified, and sound pretty killer). But I have the bug to build a fairly high end kit, something like Kurt Campbell's and Jim Holtz' The Bordeaux. I've never heard them, but I have heard the Arum Camtus and Accuton drivers in other speakers, so I am quite familiar with their sonic attributes.

My problem is, I no longer have access to wood working tools or table saw, etc.

So, does anyone know someone in the Los Angeles area that could cut the wood for me?

Thanks!

Dave

Originally posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Hello all!

Been a while since I posted here, or built a DIY speaker (currently using some vintage Maggies that I modified, and sound pretty killer). But I have the bug to build a fairly high end kit, something like Kurt Campbell's and Jim Holtz' The Bordeaux. I've never heard them, but I have heard the Arum Camtus and Accuton drivers in other speakers, so I am quite familiar with their sonic attributes.

My problem is, I no longer have access to wood working tools or table saw, etc.

So, does anyone know someone in the Los Angeles area that could cut the wood for me?

Thanks!

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Check with Speaker Hardware. Leland does flat packs and may be able to help you out. www.speakerhardware.com Tell him I sent you.

Jim

Comment

Leland is excellent.
      No matter where you go, there you are.
      Website

Comment

House of Hardwood in WLA -- near crossing of 10 and 405 freeways

Just choose your hardwood and give exact dimensions and how you'd like the edges (flat, rabbet, 45 degree, etc).

They'll give you a quote. Takes about a week. Very exact. They'll even align the grain the way you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
          House of Hardwood in WLA -- near crossing of 10 and 405 freeways

Just choose your hardwood and give exact dimensions and how you'd like the edges (flat, rabbet, 45 degree, etc).

They'll give you a quote. Takes about a week. Very exact. They'll even align the grain the way you want.

What a great service!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'll contact Speaker Hardware today. Thanks Jim!

I'll also check out House of Hardwood later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

Hi Dave,

Check with Speaker Hardware. Leland does flat packs and may be able to help you out. www.speakerhardware.com Tell him I sent you.

Jim

Looks like I will have to look elsewhere.

Speaker Hardware does not have the personnel to cut wood right now.

Comment

Do you have the plans for what you want? With all the measurements ? If so send me a copy. It’s not that expensive to ship flat packs though Fedex or ups. Or if it’s that large , can use a shipping company like Averitt

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

What a great service!
                  Yup -- makes my life a lot easier.

But it ain't cheap -- even the smallest enclosures (5 liters) end up being more than $100 per enclosure. But they sure are pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by carlthess40 View Post
                    Do you have the plans for what you want? With all the measurements ? If so send me a copy. It’s not that expensive to ship flat packs though Fedex or ups. Or if it’s that large , can use a shipping company like Averitt
                    I am not sure they are available until I pay for the kit.

I'll try and find out.

Thanks!

Comment

Jim and Curt are two of the nicest guys in DIY speaker building you will ever meet. I am 100% positive they can and will provide you any and all information and drawings needed to complete this project. I have heard many of their designs, all great, but this one is really special IMHO.
                      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                        Jim and Curt are two of the nicest guys in DIY speaker building you will ever meet. I am 100% positive they can and will provide you any and all information and drawings needed to complete this project. I have heard many of their designs, all great, but this one is really special IMHO.
                        Wow Craig! I sincerely appreciate your kind words and excellent feedback.

You are absolutely correct. All of the designs Curt and I have collaborated on are free for personal use. One of these days Curt will get the time to post it on his website and it'll be easier to get to.

Dave or anyone else interested: Until then, send me a PM/email here or at HT Guide with your email address and I'll fill your in box with a CAD drawing, cut list, crossover schematic and a lot of pictures during the build that should help. The kits that other retailers offer for the Bordeaux and several of our other designs are parts to build the designs which makes it convenient for the builder and its what the retailer does for a living. To be clear, it is not a commercial design, its DIY and Curt and I don't receive any monetary benefit at all. We do it for fun and for me to enjoy the music. Curt is a master!

PM me and I'll send the plans to build them.

Thank you again Craig! Have great Thanksgiving!

Jim
                        Last edited by Jim Holtz; 11-21-2018, 08:33 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Hey, one more thought. There was discussion about building out of hardwood. Hardwood isn't dead enough to be a good cabinet material except for the outer front baffle. I would suggest you build the basic cabinet out of Baltic birch or MDF for the deadest sounding cabinet. Add lots of bracing and you'll be good to go.

My $0.02 worth...

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

Wow Craig! I sincerely appreciate your kind words and excellent feedback.

You are absolutely correct. All of the designs Curt and I have collaborated on are free for personal use. One of these days Curt will get the time to post it on his website and it'll be easier to get to.

Dave or anyone else interested: Until then, send me a PM/email here or at HT Guide with your email address and I'll fill your in box with a CAD drawing, cut list, crossover schematic and a lot of pictures during the build that should help. The kits that other retailers offer for the Bordeaux and several of our other designs are parts to build the designs which makes it convenient for the builder and its what the retailer does for a living. To be clear, it is not a commercial design, its DIY and Curt and I don't receive any monetary benefit at all. We do it for fun and for me to enjoy the music. Curt is a master!

PM me and I'll send the plans to build them.

Thank you again Craig! Have great Thanksgiving!

Jim

Great!

Sent PM.

Hoping to get all parts and cabinets together by the end of the year.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Hello,
                              could you let me know who made the cuts for you?
                              thanks,
                              drmike

Comment

Working...
                              X