Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any 5V DC input, ~7W mono amps out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onehandclappin
    replied
    Sorry if my response only added confusion. The max9357a is both DAC and amp, so instead of input being a signal of left,ground and right it is looking for lrclock, data in and bitclock. Probably only useful if your source is a digital source.

Leave a comment:

• Onehandclappin
    replied
    Max98357a by Adafruit may provide you what your needs suggest. By default it is bridged with a 9db gain setting but you can convert to stereo and change the gain settings with a resistor. I recommend over the Pam 8403 which tends to hiss a bit. For parts express satisfaction, the sure 2 watt amp sounds great and can take a 5 volt input through the barrel connector only.
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• neildavis
    replied
    Originally posted by richddt View Post
    Seeking to design a mono speaker cabinet that will be powered over USB, hence the power input limit, yet trying to get as many Watts of output power as possible. Thanks!
    USB 2.0 is current-limited to 500ma and USB 3.X is rated at 900ma. With USB2, the maximum output will be given by I^2 * R, which is 2W for an 8 ohm load. A USB3 connection will provide more current, but you are still limited to .9A times 5V, or 4.5W--and that is peak power, not RMS. Since the USB port is both current and voltage limited, the amplifier won't make much difference.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback! Can the 2x 3W (@4 ohm) outputs of the pam8403/6 be bridged to provide 6W mono?
    No, it can't be bridged. If you use a step up convertor as suggested by others, it will give you a couple more options. Cheap convertor boards can be had on the bay, you just need a multimeter to adjust voltage.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    ...Do you guys concur? Or suggest a better alternative?
    Using a "Peanut Whistle" amp, a driver with Sensitivity substantially greater than 79 dB 1W/1m would be a suggestion

Leave a comment:

• richddt
    replied
    Also, re: driver pairing: My conclusion for a full range driver in this power range that will offer the most bang for the buck, in terms of delivering high SPL and going down to frequencies below 100Hz, is this one:
    https://www.parts-express.com/visato...4-ohm--292-612

Do you guys concur? Or suggest a better alternative?

Leave a comment:

• richddt
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback! Can the 2x 3W (@4 ohm) outputs of the pam8403/6 be bridged to provide 6W mono?

Leave a comment:

• 1100xxben
    replied
    Unless the amp board boosts the voltage, you will never get more than about 3W into a 4 ohm speaker or 1.5 W into an 8 ohm load with a 5V supply.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Not mono, but the pam8403, and pam8406 work well with 5v. Both punch above their weight. Of course the lm386 is mono, and will work, but doesnt sound as good.

Leave a comment:

• AcidWash
    replied
    Seeking to design a mono speaker cabinet that will be powered over USB, hence the power input limit, yet trying to get as many Watts of output power as possible. Thanks!
    You might open up more amp board options if you use a DC to DC USB step up converter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhtflb6pyH4

Leave a comment:

• richddt
    replied
    Of the 5V compatible amps, these were the two best ones I could find, both delivering 5W (the max Watts I could find for 5V):
    Simple: http://a.co/d/8fzpvLB
    Fancy: http://a.co/d/8g7L89I

Has anyone seen amps delivering more than 5W?

Leave a comment:

• Are there any 5V DC input, ~7W mono amps out there?

Working...
X