Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbnet
    • Nov 2018

Tang Band SUG2-11 advice, tweaks, & suggestions welcome

Hello all - long time lurker but first time posting, thanks for helping create such a wonderful resource! I have a decent ear but no degree in speaker modeling and design like some of y'all.

A couple of years ago I combined the Dragon Foals by Wolf and the Voxel sub by Paul Carmody into a wonderful portable 2.1 boombox (big thanks to you two if reading this). Today I am long overdue in my plans to build a decent pair of speakers for the home.

Becoming enamored with the little voxel sub, I looked into tang bands website and discovered their plans for a two way floorstander that seems to be just what I'm looking for but have been unable to find any examples or critiques of it online.

The drivers for it are the Tang Band 25-1744S 1" Ceramic Dome Tweeter and the Tang Band W6-1721 6-1/2" Underhung Midbass Driver ( https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...eeter--264-866 & https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...river--264-874 ).

My concerns are:
    1. It could be virtually unknown because its a poor design.
    2. It could be improved upon with some crossover & cabinet tweaking.

So I seek the guidance & advice of this community in helping me to build, not build, or build these even better. Any and all questions, comments, suggestions, and curses most welcome.

Will be certain to log build here when the time comes.

• bbnet
    • Nov 2018

Here's the pertinent info from link above:

Technical Parameters
    PRODUCT NO.: SUG2-11
    DESCRIPTION: 6.5" 2 Way Floor-Standing Enclosure
    RATED POWER INPUT: 50 W
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38~20K Hz
    RESONANCE FREQUENCY: 38 Hz
    NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 4 Ω
    CROSSOVER POINT: 2.9K Hz
    CABINET SIZE: 220*220*1000 mm (WxDxH)
    CABINET VOLUME: 30L
    PORT: 165mm(length) x 86mm(diameter)

Click image for larger version  Name:	SPLvFREQ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	1395128

Click image for larger version  Name:	SUG2-11 Crossover_S(4).jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	1395129

Click image for larger version  Name:	cab.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	1395130
    Last edited by bbnet; 11-27-2018, 01:16 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• bbnet
      • Nov 2018

... and here's the tech specs for the drivers:

TWEETER
      SIZE:25mm
      CATEGORY:Tweeter
      DIAPHRAGM MTL:Ceramic
      SURROUND MTL:Fabric
      NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:6 Ω
      DCR IMPEDANCE:5 Ω
      SENSITIVITY 1W/1m:90 dB
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE:700-30K Hz
      FREE AIR RESONANCE:700 Hz
      VOICE COIL DIAMETER:25.4 mm
      AIR GAP HEIGHT:2 mm
      RATED POWER INPUT:8 W
      MAXIMUM POWER INPUT:80 W
      TYPE OF MAGNET:Neodymium
      FERROFLUID ENHANCED:Yes
      Levc:0.003 mH
      Zo:9 Ω

Click image for larger version

Name:	tweet.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1395134

WOOFER
      SIZE:6"
      CATEGORY:Woofer
      DIAPHRAGM MTL:Paper
      SURROUND MTL:Rubber
      NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:4 Ω
      DCR IMPEDANCE:3.4 Ω
      SENSITIVITY 1W/1m:88 dB
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE:40-5K Hz
      FREE AIR RESONANCE:40 Hz
      VOICE COIL DIAMETER:38.5 mm
      AIR GAP HEIGHT:22 mm
      RATED POWER INPUT:50 W
      MAXIMUM POWER INPUT:100 W
      FORCE FACTOR, BL:5.12 TM
      TYPE OF MAGNET:Ferrite
      MOVING MASS:14.97 g
      FERROFLUID ENHANCED:No
      SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE:1055 uMN¯¹
      EFFECTIVE PISTON AREA:0.014 M² Levc:0.084 mH
      Zo:28 Ω
      X-max:8 mm
      Vas:29.38 Litr
      Qts:0.43
      Qms:3.58
      Qes:0.49

Click image for larger version

Name:	woofer.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1395135

Comment

• Chris Roemer
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Sep 2005

I'll stick my neck out...

Nice drivers. Nice box and tuning.
        I'd probably change the XO some.
        A sim (using the TB plots, and their filters) doesn't end up looking like their system plot.
        Don't see much (if any) BSC.

Here's what I'd change -
        HP: I'd use a 6.8uF cap and a 0.60mH coil (making a lower Q "knee"). The padding looks OK.
        LP: Larger coil - a 1.5mH, cap's OK.
        I'd add a Zobel using 8ohms+22uF to get a nice rolloff.
        I'd also throw a tiny notch (tank) cap across the coil, a 0.47uF works pretty well.
        (compared to the TB XO, mine pulls the 4k peak down an additional -18dB, and the 8k peak another -13dB)

Now, with BSC, it looks like 84dB w/full BSC, crossing lower near 2k, which is better for an 8" woofer anyhow (instead of 3k).

Comment

• Wolf
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Sep 2005

That tweeter will likely require a 2.5k+ xover point, Chris. A lot of their smaller neo-tweeters fit this mold, and it's a 6.5" woofer, not an 8".
          I might tackle this model later myself for an alternate starting point...
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Chris Roemer
            Obsessed & Proud of It
            • Sep 2005

I guess my "2am brain" DID think that looked like a huge motor (for an 8" driver! - NOT) Plus the big box reinforced my "err".
            My Fc might be at 2.2k, but the tweeter's down -27dB at Fs. (seems like it ought to be happy with that?)

Comment

• bbnet
              • Nov 2018

Thanks for your input & efforts Chris & Wolf!

Note that I'd like to keep the efficiency near or above 85db/w/m since neither driver is high power rated and will be driving with lower power amp.

Comment

• Wolf
                Obsessed & Proud of It
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                I guess my "2am brain" DID think that looked like a huge motor (for an 8" driver! - NOT) Plus the big box reinforced my "err".
                My Fc might be at 2.2k, but the tweeter's down -27dB at Fs. (seems like it ought to be happy with that?)
                It's more due to the rising HD that the TB small neo tweeters exhibit. Really- 2.5k+ is optimal for this reason, as it does not have much to do with the Fs in this case.

bbnet-
                I really don't think that 85dB sensitivity will be possible with this set of drivers once you factor in BSC. Being that the output is 90dB for the woofer at 200Hz as a usual reference, and that BSC is normally -6dB in most cases, 84dB would be my best guess. However, once modeled with parasitic DCR losses and wire length, you're likely only going to get 82-83dB.

I'll hold off on the simulation since it seems this project will not meet your goals.

If you don't mind the recommendation, I would suggest my Nephila project. It is not easy to get a standard svelte TM tower to achieve an 86dB sensitivity due to BSC and average sensitivity of a 6.5" woofer. In my Nephila build, I think I came out about 85dB, which is higher than normal.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• bbnet
                  • Nov 2018

Wolf,
                  That Nephila is very nice and pushes many of my buttons in a good way. Now I'm in a conundrum, thx ... lol

Will likely get new amp to suit either and keep my little one in the bedroom, seems at 50 watts and 83db efficiency, peak spl should reach 95db which is more than enough for my living room where I plan to place these (roughly 15'x24'x8' with speakers placed 10'-12' about 3' off long wall). So efficiency isn't that critical.

The intp in me says to stay loyal to parts express and tang band. The gen x is me says to do something original.

The Nephila likely has a better top end but i'm a lil concerned about potentially narrower horizontal dispersion and fragility/durability (6 year old plays with dials and poof goes the more expensive tweeter)?

The SUG2-11+ might pull off a better bottom end? I won't be incorporating a sub.

Midrange might be a tossup between the two?

My music tastes these days are mostly reggae, classic & modern rock/synth pop, and fusion jazz (in that order). Especially enjoy good female singers also. So the mids followed by the bottom followed by the top in priority for me I suppose.

I dunno, more or less coin flip for me atm but still slightly leaning towards the SUG2-11+

Ps - here's my little work radio with your dragon foals, pardon the dust, when i show it off i ussually keep the sub off at first and folks are like 'wow that sounds great!' then i crank up the sub and it's like 'holy sh__!'

Comment

Working...