Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFL-3way in test & tweak mode

Hi all,

The project has moved forward a bit since my latest post. One unit including XO is now in test-mode and initial measurements show promising results.

At first, I thought that the sound was a bit on the ”thin” side but when I studied the measurements, the explanation came to me: (Remember, it´s been like ten years since my last passive system design) I hav geatly underestimated the baffle-step effect on the system. When I cranked up the 50Hz and 320 Hz pots on the Cit11 abt 4-6 dB, the speaker (I have only one) started to sing.

The two attached measurement-pictures show that:

- in ”nearfield 40 cm in between the Woofer and Mid, the integration seems to work fine W-M

- in farfield 300-20000, the integration Mid-Tweeter seems to work as predicted.

I will now install the XOs in the speakers and make new measurements and longterm listening tests on the complete system but I predict that this will end with me padding down Mid and Tweeter abt 4-6 dB

(Now, I´m glad that the L-pads ar placed in the ”foot” under the upper unit…

Regards//lasse

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	1395597

Name:	RFL-3way WM 40 cm.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1395598Click image for larger version

Name:	RFL-3way farfield 300-20000 HZ.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1395599

Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

The padding will most likely alter the shape of the pass band, and will change the cap and coil values needed..

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
      The padding will most likely alter the shape of the pass band, and will change the cap and coil values needed..
      Hi,

OK, after a few minutes of tweaking in Speaker Workshop, I realize that there is no "Quick-Fix" to solve this…

A complete redesign will be made with new targets, Woofer 6 dB above Mid and Tweeter, which seems to be well aligned as-is.

I just hope I can keep the gold-plated 8,2 mH Woofer-coils….

Regards//lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Hi again,

Is this a valid method to pad down both mid and tweeter in a 3-way system at the same time and with the same ”amount”? (I spent a few hours, trying to tweak the individual L-pads for mid and tweeter, running into all sorts of trouble with the other parts of the XO)

After I corrected the woofer SPL according to my measurement of woofer and mid (previous post, pic nr 2), I introduced a L-pad so that both mid and tweeter came down abt 6 dB.

I think that the impedance curve was smoothed out quite nicely at the same time.

Does anyone see a problem with this??

Regards//lasse

Name:	Totaldesign ver 2018-11-30 damp MT corr W.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	1395698

Comment

The padding resistors are going to carry too much current in that location.

You can try this in your sim if you want. It's a filter I came up with when you started this project. What I have is not a sim. It's a filter that I assembled, and measured. My baffle size is different than yours, but this could be in the ballpark. I added padding while I designed the filter. Take a look if you want to. This is just a filter for the mid.

90uf_ 3.4mH_ .6mH_ 15uf. I think you know where these go.

Two resistors for padding. In front of the x-over, a 2.2 ohm resistor. In parallel with the woofer, at the woofer, a 5.6 ohm resistor.
          Last edited by rpb; 12-01-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Can you please upload your .swd file (hopefully my version of SW can open it - SW can be fussy between O/S versions/ PCs).

NB: you might have to rename it to .TXT or other supported file extension so it will upload. SW can also be greedy on file size - so you may need to export and re-import data into a clean project file.

I'm happy to take a look.

Can you please also post your raw driver FR curves?

Comment

Name:	image_76640.png
Views:	51
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	1395822 Here's my 3 way xo if it helps with a topology. You may need to go higher order on mid or tweeter - or change / add the value of shunt resistors with the parallel capacitors or inductors to shape the slope. Ignore / remove the following components (I have to have them because my system is all metal drivers to kill breakup). C2, L2, C8, C5, L6.

Impedance here is a min. 4.3 ohms in the midbass and 4.2 in the lower treble

Comment

Hello, and thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

As I think that I have a system with reasonably flat frequency response and good phasetracking, I am thinking of perhaps a different way of solving the problem with the lack of BSC:

What do you think of solving the baffle-step problem with this approach, installed between the pre- and poweramps?

From this website:

http://sound.whsites.net/bafflestep.htm

It states that it is essential that the compensation circuit is driven by a ”low impedance source” (<100 ohms) but the manual for my preamp (Citation 11) states the output impedance to be ”less than 500 ohms”. Will this be a problem?? And, if so, is there a way around this without adding buffer stages to the compensation unit and with that, adding a lot of complexity??

Please, chime in you electronics-knowing people.

Best regards//lasse

Name:	BSC-compensation.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1395971

Comment

Working...
                X