Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmody's Swope 3-way vs classix 2.5

Hello all!

I'm ramping up for a new project build and am trying to decide between Paul Carmody's Swope-3 way design vs. the Classix 2.5.

I built the OS MTM in a transmission line a few years ago (build log here - it's Bungalow_Ed's design), and while those are fantastic speakers, I am wanting to upgrade a bit. They will serve two purposes: music and home theater aprox 50/50, They will also be my L/R mains.

our living room is modest size (15' x 12') with an open plan into the kitchen directly behind it.

here's the conversation I stumbled across on htguide about the swope 3-way:

Cheers!

classix 2.5 response graphClick image for larger version  Name:	Classix 2.5 FR.gif Views:	1 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	1396816

Swope 3-way response graphClick image for larger version  Name:	Swope TMWW (SB) FR.gif Views:	1 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	1396817

Also, here's my current setup:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3oyMVm6.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	1396820

Because of the odd arrangement of the living room, it isn't possible to corner load the subwoofers, so it makes for an identifiable low frequency direction detection by my ears (why I added a subwoofer on the left).
    Attached Files

Comment

With your subs right there, you don't really need super low freq. extension in your mains. If you like Mr. Carmody's designs, why not the Swope HT system. Matching large 3 way center, and TM surrounds. Lots of people go for a nice stereo pair to later lament no matching HT system components.

I like the Classix line, but there's no getting around the thick ugly segmented cardboard rims of the DC speakers, except (gasp) grills. Or rear mount.

Comment

Depends what you listen to, your budget and appearance.

I have the Classix II and the 2.5s are on my growing 'to do' list; according to Mr Carmody, the 2.5s have a similar sound but of course put out more dB due to the extra woofer.
        Paul also says the midrange is better than you would expect from the DC160 as a result of the .5 design.

The Classix IIs are smooth, a little laid back in the mids perhaps, have great bass for their size and are great for listening to pop/rock, soul and recordings which are less than well recorded/mastered, etc. They're also great value, however you buy them.

I haven't heard the Swope, but the HiVi woofer looks great and well, the DC160 doesn't, I hide mine behind grills. So, if WAF is an issue, maybe consider the Swopes?

Paul also says that his speakers have a 'house sound', so the Swopes will sound great, I'm sure.

Geoff
        Last edited by Geoff Millar; 12-10-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Eventually, I'd like to build some smaller cabinet subs as the footprint for these guys is just too large in our new house... I currently have flush mounted in ceiling speakers for the surround. I've also already built the overnight sensation center channel, so my 5.1 is essentially set (for the moment), except that I want to upgrade the main L/R at the moment.

When it comes to music, I'm all over the place. When I was testing out my OS MTM in their current configuration I used:

Superman Theme _ John Williams
          Raiders of the Lost Ark Theme _ John Williams
          1812 Overture_ Tchaikovsky
          Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G Major_Yo-Yo Ma
          Lots of Led Zeppelin
          Yellow Submarine_Beatles
          Suit and Tie_ Justin Timberlake (bass)
          Madness_ Muse
          Pipe Organ music for low bass

I'm also a bit put off by the looks of the dayton speakers so i'm considering a grill on a similar baffle design to the OS MTM pictured in my second post... or not. There is some WAF, but I get a bit of leeway.

the HiVi aesthetics are superior and if all else is equal, I guess I'll go with the SWOPE. I do / would like the option of when listening to music, to be able to cut solely to stereo and run off of two speakers (L/R). So that's where i'm getting tripped up a bit on my choice (also, who doesn't like to be able to play it loud upon request?).
          Dayton Audio CS620ECT 6-1/2" 2-Way 70V Enclosed Ceiling Speaker

Comment

I didn't know there was a Swope 3 way but googled it after seeing your post. Here is another thread...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pe-3-way-tower

I would guess the Swopes are better given its a 3 way with what I think are better drivers, but don't know that for sure.

Comment

The os mtm is a good build. Look for designs with higher caliber drivers if you are going to experience a noticeable increase is sound quality. I would also consider designs from other builders, not that Paul isn't top notch but spice is nice.
              ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                your budget
                I priced it out and two swopes vs two classix 2.5 are about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                  The os mtm is a good build. Look for designs with higher caliber drivers if you are going to experience a noticeable increase is sound quality. I would also consider designs from other builders, not that Paul isn't top notch but spice is nice.
                  ​​​​​
                  I agree about spice and all. I've been thinking about this project direction for a while... I have most of the parts to pull off the Cinderellas, but was really leaning towards a 3-way construction with the HiVi F series such as the 5" , 8" and the planar hivi tweeter.Click image for larger version  Name:	image_76808.jpg Views:	1 Size:	382.9 KB ID:	1396846
                  (seen above) and call it the Super Bee (nod towards the old muscle car and color). However, unlike most on here, my background is in the medical field and not engineering, so I'm dramatically lacking in crossover creating skills. Also, Time is critical to me, so having a ready made design is quite appealing.

**edit - also, the Super Bee would cost quite a bit more.
                  DIY audio projects by Paul Carmody (Undefinition)

Comment

Originally posted by Fractals View Post
                    However, unlike most on here, my background is in the medical field and not engineering, so I'm dramatically lacking in crossover creating skills.
                    Yes, but wouldn't it be great to learn and design it yourself?!

Originally posted by Fractals View Post
                    Also, Time is critical to me, so having a ready made design is quite appealing.
                    Forget the previous comment. Designing a speaker would probably be very satisfying; the only thing exceeding the satisfaction is the time it would take to design a speaker that can compete with a high quality existing design.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                      Forget the previous comment. Designing a speaker would probably be very satisfying; the only thing exceeding the satisfaction is the time it would take to design a speaker that can compete with a high quality existing design.
                      egg-zactly. And apropos to the original question.

Comment

Have you considered the "Nephila"? It uses a F6 woofer and AMT tweeter. A VERY nice design from a well respected designer.
                        BTW most of us are not engineers by school or trade, this is our hobby.
                        Also the Super Bee is already a speaker design: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-two-way-build
                        You could ask KEtherege87 how his super Bees stack up against the Swope HT.

Comment

While the Swope TMWW does have a considerable amount less woofer available than my favorite design of the DIY Cable 2641 (drivers no longer available) it is a very interesting design. And something I am currently looking at building. I have built several of Paul's designs and have been satisfied with all of them.
                          i worked with Dennis Murphy to develop the now defunked RS WWMT, WMtW and WMT series of speakers and still to this day prefer the 2461. Something about the bass out of a pair of the Extremis woofers you just can't forget.

Maybe Erich at DIYsound group will commission a similar build one day using the Anarchy's and his S2000 mid.

Comment

Build these, problem solved. Compatible with your center, F3 of 35hz, two Tang Band SUBwoofers per side. 3 way, just like you wanted.

Shtick MTMWW Speaker

Comment

These would produce an awful lot of sound.

Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                              X