Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Here- Want to Recreate an Aiwa Exos-9 ... Cheap

Hi All,
    I'm a new member and speaker noob. The reason I joined is simple; I want to build a Bluetooth speaker that is similar to Aiwa's Exos-9. I need to do it on the cheap because money is tight and I have a daughter in college. I'm not sure if it's possible.
    I have worked in the IT field for over 20 years, which means I do have electrical & soldering experience and I was pretty good in high school wood shop. However, as I have found out through research, speaker design/configuration is a complex science that I know little about. So please don't be offended by my noob questions.
    Any Help or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Rich
    Here is the best technical breakdown of the Aiwa Exos-9 that I could find:
    FREE 2-day Shipping: New-school boombox Aiwa brings back the glory days of the classic boombox with the Exos-9 portable Bluetooth speaker. Five

Range: 50 feet

Comment

Hi Dig,
      Clavinetjunkie on Youtube performs a loudness test and this thing can be heard from what looks like 1/4 mile away. He also has a speaker comparison site that is second to none.
      http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/

Comment

Yeah there are many boombox projects and some kits from PE, none approach that power. Is that important to you?

On the cheap, possibly scrounge craigslist for a decent pair of compact two way speakers, along with a compact stereo system and put them in a box to look nice. That would jettison the subwoofer and any battery power option, but you might get a really cheap good result.

Depending on source requirements, a better quality bluetooth 2.1 chip amp might be another way to go, and allow a sub.

Can you define "on the cheap"?

Comment

Tried to edit the above post but no go.

Define "on the cheap"?

A better quality 2.1 bluetooth chip amp would allow a sub. Gets more expensive.

Comment

One of the dismantle videos showed the following:
            Two 1" silk dome tweeters (no spec info)
            Two 3" neodymium mid-range drivers, 8 Ohm 20 watt
            One 6-1/2" dual voice coil sub-woofer 8 Ohm/8 Ohm 20W/20W dual coil
            One bass reflex port (no spec info)

Comment

On the cheap to me means,
              I would be able to buy the parts over time while trying to keep the price around $150.00....if possible.

Comment

If this is not possible, I'll just save up over time and buy the Aiwa Exos-9 for $329.00. I got on to Parts Express after watching many bluetooth speaker build videos, thinking, I could really $ave some Ca$h.

Comment

I think you'd be hard pressed to DIY this for much cheaper than the $329.00. Drivers, (5 speakers) crossover components, amp, Bluetooth board, batteries, power supply/charger, wood, and finishing stuff. Not to mention all the tools you may not have yet.

With that said, there are plenty of boom box builds here that I'm sure sound nice! All ya gotta do is poke around this site a bit to find em. But,,,,, ya really gotta have the DIY bug!

If this is all your going to build,,,,, cut the check and buy the Aiwa, plug it in and enjoy!

My .02. Good luck, Mark

Comment

I still suggest getting at least the stereo speakers off CL, there are deals you can't match by trying to buy new components and designing your own. A lot of people just take a known DIY design like the Overnight Sensations 2 way compact speakers and putting them in a boombox configuration. You could go even cheaper by using used CL finds, put in new box or use as is depending on condition. You could gut a used Logitech PC 2.1 system for the subwoofer, I would trash the satellites.

Not as big or powerful, but very good quality.

Isetta - undefinition

Isetta Boombox - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

Buy these, make a matching center section to house 2.1 amp and recycled PC subwoofer, cheap.

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                        I think you'd be hard pressed to DIY this for much cheaper than the $329.00. Drivers, (5 speakers) crossover components, amp, Bluetooth board, batteries, power supply/charger, wood, and finishing stuff. Not to mention all the tools you may not have yet.

With that said, there are plenty of boom box builds here that I'm sure sound nice! All ya gotta do is poke around this site a bit to find em. But,,,,, ya really gotta have the DIY bug!

If this is all your going to build,,,,, cut the check and buy the Aiwa, plug it in and enjoy!

My .02. Good luck, Mark
                        I'm a DIY guy....I've been building custom PC's as a hobby for twenty years...Looking for a new hobby for my son and I. The Boombox is for my daughter. I will look around the site.

Most of the builds and build videos I have seen spend most of the time building the box and little or no time on the wiring or what to solder. It's a real shame because that's the most complex part....IMO. I realize there is a science to the box itself but I first need to know how to wire it all up or I just have a box.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          I still suggest getting at least the stereo speakers off CL, there are deals you can't match by trying to buy new components and designing your own. A lot of people just take a known DIY design like the Overnight Sensations 2 way compact speakers and putting them in a boombox configuration. You could go even cheaper by using used CL finds, put in new box or use as is depending on condition. You could gut a used Logitech PC 2.1 system for the subwoofer, I would trash the satellites.

Not as big or powerful, but very good quality.

Isetta - undefinition

Isetta Boombox - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
                          Yes I have the plans and was looking them over and I like it.....I would like to add tweeters to that, but I have No idea how to wire them up, if I need a crossover, or just a capacitor...etc. I wonder if I could up the power just a bit, again, no Idea how that changes the components needed.

Comment

Search bluetooth on Parts Express main site then click on filter to speaker kits. They have several with or without box kits. The Executive and the Blast Box look intriguing for $249.00 with knock down boxes.

Comment

How about this for a Poor Man's Exos-99 ?

Woofer
                              - 6-1/2" Poly Cone Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm 30watt $5.99
                              https://www.parts-express.com/6-1-2-...4-ohm--299-609

Drivers - HiVi B3N 3" Aluminum Driver Round Frame 10 Watt two $20.00
                              https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-b...frame--297-428

Tweeters -Dayton Audio ND25FN-4 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeter 20Watt two-$20.00
                              https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-053

Wood: $30.00
                              Bamboo Cutting boards
                              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 Two sets

Amp w/bluetooth TPS3116D2 $45.00
                              https://www.parts-express.com/tps311...e-con--320-635

Battery board -KAB-BE 18650 Two $16.67
                              https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oards--325-113
                              BAM! 137.00

$12 left over for coffee, paint, glue and a joint

oops had to update

Comment

Working...
                              X