Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My InDIYana Build, Canadian entry, SB & Peerless in Solid Cherry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My InDIYana Build, Canadian entry, SB & Peerless in Solid Cherry.

Here is my entry for the InDIYana bare minimum show and tell that I am working on.

Box is about 41" tall, 8" wide and 10" deep. I made a prototype out of Baltic Birch plywood to make sure my idea would work.

It is a vented design to be just under 1.25 cubic feet internally before braces and port.

Drivers are SB Acoustics 6" SB17MFC35-8 and Peerless XT25BG60-04.

To be different, I am building the entire box out of solid cherry wood with a walnut baffle.

Here are some shots of where I am right now.

Couple more photos

Comment

Very cool! What's the waveguide on that tweeter?
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        Very cool! What's the waveguide on that tweeter?
        Monacor WG-300.

Comment

Very gorgeous build with all that cherry. The WG-300 with the XT25BG60 should work out great too. I think we'll be seeing a lot of waveguides at InDIYana this year, I went with the slightly smaller Visaton WG-148. See you there, I'm Ed Perkins.
          "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Wow. Solid cherry with a walnut baffle. That should really pop when the finish goes on. Good luck with your project.
            SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
            Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
            Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
            Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

Nice work, how many parts on the tweet filter?
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

My, my my,,,,,,, that’s adventurous! Even hardwood window braces?

And they said said it shouldn’t be done. Bravo!

Wish I could be there to hear them!

Have Fun, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                  Nice work, how many parts on the tweet filter?
                  Three.

Second order electrical with about an LR4 at 2000 Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                    My, my my,,,,,,, that’s adventurous! Even hardwood window braces?

And they said said it shouldn’t be done. Bravo!

Wish I could be there to hear them!

Have Fun, Mark
                    The window braces had to be hardwood so they move at the same rate as the rest of the box to avoid it splitting or cracking. Plywood would move at a different rate (almost zero) and would put stress on the rest of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
                      Wow. Solid cherry with a walnut baffle. That should really pop when the finish goes on. Good luck with your project.
                      I hope so!

I am not really a speaker builder, but a woodworker who is trying his hand at speaker building.

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
                        Very gorgeous build with all that cherry. The WG-300 with the XT25BG60 should work out great too. I think we'll be seeing a lot of waveguides at InDIYana this year, I went with the slightly smaller Visaton WG-148. See you there, I'm Ed Perkins.
                        I look forward to meeting you as well Ed. It will be interesting to meet all the people whose words I have only been reading for the last year. My name is David and I will be driving down from Canada on the Friday, so I will miss most of Friday but will be there all day Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFred View Post

Three.

Second order electrical with about an LR4 at 2000 Hz.
                          Nice, I have been playing around with the same concept intentionally raising or shaping the filter
                          to accommodate for the resistors influence on the transfer function, plenty of woofers play nice
                          with 2 parts.
                          Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Nice, those speakers remind me of the Buchardt S400.

Comment

I wasn't getting anywhere with the SB17MFC35-8 trying to make a crossover with just 5 parts. In order to suppress the cone breakup I had to roll it off way to early which would have required a XO with the tweeter of about 1150HZ. I switched to a Monacor SPH175HQ and wow, what a nice driver. Here is what the preliminary crossover looks like with about 10 minutes work.

Comment

Working...
                              X