Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitty-Boom Woofers Resurrected or Never Throw Anything Away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitty-Boom Woofers Resurrected or Never Throw Anything Away.

My original Bitty's were sitting unused. I had wanted at some point to build a box to include all the drivers with room for a plate amp but moved onto bigger subs. Fast forward many, many years later and I acquired a ported Sony MTM speaker with woofer foam rot that's just about the ideal size for the two 6 1/2" woofers I used for the Bitty's. Also on hand was an small subwoofer plate amp from a Radio Shack sub. A little cutting & wiring, easy peasy and I have a nice compact sub for the living room set-up. Reused components on hand and I didn't even need to build a box.
    The moral of the story? Dayton 6 1/2" Classics still make good compact subs for cheap.

The Dayton drivers are good value for the money. I'm still loving my RSS390HF-4s, after many years. Very reasonably priced compared to the competition.
    Francis

Comment

I relocated my DC160S-4 from my Bitties to my Xenoliths, and the PRs from the Bitties to the Destinations.
      Nice to see you around, Nate!
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hi Wolf! The PR's from my Bitties are going into a new build using some Buyout 6 1/2" woofers ( WP-6020I ) and a tweeter to be named later Again re-purposing some other cabs. This time from some Infinity floor standers.

Comment

I could have just used it like it was, but that's not my style. Plus I just happened to have a can of spray paint laying around

From this Click image for larger version  Name:	20190914_110242a.jpg Views:	2 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	1421465 to this Click image for larger version  Name:	103_1797.JPG Views:	2 Size:	248.7 KB ID:	1421466

The tweeter is left there so I wouldn't have to plug the hole. This little beastie has quite a bit of thump.

Comment

Nice repurposing experiment. Same drivers as in the venerable D-3s? Those had great bass I've always thought. I made a sub using just one driver once.
            TomZ
            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
              Nice repurposing experiment. Same drivers as in the venerable D-3s? Those had great bass I've always thought.
              These are the shielded versions of those. I think at the time they were on sale at the time or something. I always thought adding a mid to the D-3's would make a killer TMWW design

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
              I made a sub using just one driver once.
              You know what they say, If one is nice, two would be nicer

Comment

And adding a mid DID make a killer 3-way. Paul Carmody designed the 'Dayton Classic Revival' towers with a pair of DC160 woofers, the DC50 mid dome, and one of the ND20 tweeters.

Great minds think alike,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Yeah I missed that Been orbiting elsewhere for a while.

Comment

Orbiting back this way again I've since dubbed the above iteration the Bitty Badda-Boom. After remodeling the living room where the Bitty Badda-Boom will live, it was also due for a facelift to match. Some chalk finish white paint, some white grill cloth and it'll fit right in with the new décor. I've got a little sanding to do before the final finish, glue on the grill cloth and it's finished. Oh yeah, I painted the TV too
                    Last edited by natediggidy; 02-25-2022, 08:21 PM.

Comment

My first time recovering a grill. Maybe I should have left the grill frame black (shrug). If I do a smaller project needing white grills I'll use this piece of grill cloth, repaint the grill frame black and recover the grill frame again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220224_173903a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	600.3 KB ID:	1483479 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220224_173545a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	858.8 KB ID:	1483477 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220225_190719a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	607.3 KB ID:	1483478 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220225_190906a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	446.0 KB ID:	1483480

Comment

Working...
                      X