Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duane Brown "Dayton 4" Deluxe version

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I have completed my version of Dr.Jay's version. After break in they are sounding very nice. Will certainly serve well as desk tops or for small rooms.

    They are unfinished for the InDIYana debut later today, but I will try to dress them up so a grandchild can enjoy them someday.

    I was able to use 1/8" connectors for the tweeters' tiny tabs by spreading them open slightly with a screw driver. I am confident they will grip well enough.

    Thanks for sharing a great design, Duane & Jay & Craig!

    Marv
    Last edited by marvin; 04-07-2022, 07:57 PM.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Solder, but do it carefully. There is not a fast-on for that terminal.
      Wolf
      This is what I recommend when soldering. Picture is a mock up for demonstration purposes.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_86775.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	528.3 KB
ID:	1469950

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by marvin View Post
        I have completed my version of Dr.Jay's version. After break in they are sounding very nice. Will certainly serve well as desk tops or for small rooms.

        They are unfinished for the InDIYana debut later today, but I will try to dress them up so a grandchild can enjoy them someday.

        I was able to use 1/8" connectors for the tweeters' tiny tabs by spreading them open slightly with a screw driver. I am confident they will grip well enough.

        Thanks for sharing a great design, Duane & Jay!

        Marv
        Thank you. How did these do at InDIYana this year? (I was unable to make it.) I am just seeing this post for the first time. Looks like I should update the original post with measurements of the speaker baffle spacing. Also the enclosure was repurposed from another build that I never liked. So improvements on the size and tuning should yield better results.

        I am subscribed to the thread now. So I should receive a notice if anyone wants to ask me anything.

        Comment


        • #64
          After my demo two attendees approached me exclaiming how well they imaged even from the back of the room where they were listening. Positive feedback is sooo gratifying, isn't it? LOL

          At home in my 12x20x8 foot living room, front of speakers about 14 inches from the wall, they produce a strong 37 hertz note in one of my test tracks. This must be a tribute to Dr. Jay's enclosure design changes because I can't even hear those 37 hz notes on the Dayton MK402BTX that I use as computer speakers (they use the same 4" driver in a smaller enclosure). Good job on the enclosure, Jay! Great job on the xover, Duane!

          They sound even better when finished!

          Marv

          Edit: I learned later that Craigk should get the credit for the enclosure modifications. Thanks Craig and great job!

          Click image for larger version  Name:	edited PXL_20210601_172457566.jpg Views:	427 Size:	533.0 KB ID:	1475118

          Last edited by marvin; 04-07-2022, 07:52 PM.

          Comment


          • Jeff F.
            Jeff F. commented
            Editing a comment
            Really sharp looking speaker, did you wrap it in vinyl or is it fabric?

          • marvin
            marvin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Jeff.
            I used a tweed fabric with mod-podge adhesive. You could use spray adhesive which would be less likely to soak through, but you would have to mask the front and rear panels.

        • #65
          Great looking speaker
          craigk

          " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

          Comment


          • marvin
            marvin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Craig! I finally found a method to prevent runs and cover seams! ;-)

        • #66
          Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but...

          Does anyone have the exact tweeter location for the original Duane Brown Dayton 4 design? No problem for the deluxe version, but I do need smaller footprint.

          Also, does anyone have some measurements for this speaker? which is the XO point? what about spinorama data?

          Thanks!

          Comment


          • #67
            Duane's write up offers enclosure dims in the text.
            https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...akers.html?m=1

            Hope this helps.

            Marv

            Comment


            • #68
              Originally posted by marvin View Post
              Duane's write up offers enclosure dims in the text.
              https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...akers.html?m=1

              Hope this helps.

              Marv
              Yep.

              "The Enclosure

              The enclosure is 8” tall, 6”wide, and 8.5” deep. Made out of ½” plywood or MDF. I built a triangle port that caused some minor issues. Instead I recommend a 1.125”diameter port tube 6.5” long installed on the back behind the tweeter."

              But there is no reference on the woofer and tweeter location.

              Comment


              • #69
                Originally posted by mga2009 View Post

                Yep.

                "The Enclosure

                The enclosure is 8” tall, 6”wide, and 8.5” deep. Made out of ½” plywood or MDF. I built a triangle port that caused some minor issues. Instead I recommend a 1.125”diameter port tube 6.5” long installed on the back behind the tweeter."

                But there is no reference on the woofer and tweeter location.
                The woofer appears to be nearly centered on the baffle and the tweeter very close to that. I am not an expert, but if you are not using a corner port like Duane did, then you can adjust the drivers downward if you prefer with little impact on the sound quality.

                Comment


                • #70
                  Originally posted by marvin View Post

                  The woofer appears to be nearly centered on the baffle and the tweeter very close to that. I am not an expert, but if you are not using a corner port like Duane did, then you can adjust the drivers downward if you prefer with little impact on the sound quality.
                  Thanks! Yes, I noticed they are mounted horizontally centered, but IDK the distance between woofer and tweeter (I assume the less the better as IDK the XO point) and the distance from the top and bottom.

                  Maybe duanebro can chime in !

                  Comment


                  • #71
                    Originally posted by mga2009 View Post

                    Thanks! Yes, I noticed they are mounted horizontally centered, but IDK the distance between woofer and tweeter (I assume the less the better as IDK the XO point) and the distance from the top and bottom.

                    Maybe duanebro can chime in !
                    Hi, funny that I am subscribed but have not been getting any notifications on this. I just happened to look today and found this post.

                    The tweeter is about 1.75" from the top to the center of the driver. The woofer is as close to the tweeter as I could get it without touching.

                    Small changes will not effect the sound enough to make an audible difference.

                    Comment


                    • #72
                      Originally posted by duanebro View Post

                      Hi, funny that I am subscribed but have not been getting any notifications on this. I just happened to look today and found this post.

                      The tweeter is about 1.75" from the top to the center of the driver. The woofer is as close to the tweeter as I could get it without touching.

                      Small changes will not effect the sound enough to make an audible difference.
                      Duane, thanks for your reply and info!

                      Which is de XO point for this design?

                      Cheers

                      Comment


                      • #73
                        This is really great. Has anyone tried using the 8ohm version of these woofers, and doing a MTM with the same tweeter (or the 4ohm version)?

                        Comment


                        • Colonel7
                          Colonel7 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Zobellitos https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discus...p115-4-woofers

                        • TubeGuy
                          TubeGuy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Colonel7- Thanks so much for taking the time to find and post that. It seems like running 8 ohms in parallel with CTC spacing as under 5” would be better- right? With the tweeter diameter of 1.28”, seems doable, as you could have the midwoofers almost touching vertically, then when you nestle the tweeter off to one side between them, it only sticks out less than 3/4” past the sides of the mids. This should minimize the mids lobing up to around 3k. Also, gets drivers about as anything I’ve ever seen.
                          Disclaimer: I am somewhat new to all this.

                      • #74
                        You can try an mtm. Be careful with the efficiency of the tweeter not being high enough. Also know that this is a different design. Nothing in the xo will work.

                        Comment


                        • TubeGuy
                          TubeGuy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Duane- I'm pretty sure the answer is 'No', but there isn't any other tweeter out there (even at a higher price point) that can be swapped in in for this, is there (on the off chance you had found another in your experimenting)? I ordered all the pieces to build your speakers for my office a month ago (when the tweeters were expected beginning of May. PE keeps pushing the timeframe back, and now we are at August 8. Thanks, in advance.

                      • #75
                        Any driver change will make the crossover not work as intended. This is true for every speaker design, but even more important in a series crossover like mine.

                        Supply issues and price increases are making problems for everyone right now.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X