Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    The final dimensions were influenced by the size of some leftover plywood pieces, but they worked out very well.

• BOBinGA
    replied
    I’m glad you like them. I measured them both horizontally and vertically and there was not a lot of difference, so they can be used either way. Your layout should work great.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, his XO, cab size and port, manipulated into a deeper shorter size. I did add 1/2" to the width to allow for a roundover, as BOB minimized the width (height) for his center channel use.

• wogg
    replied
    Those are sweet! Did you use Bob's crossover schematic?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    So these things really impress me after a few minutes of listening. Really the first coaxial design I've heard. For about $100, recommended if Dayton still sells these drivers. Even I can hear the precise imaging.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	974.8 KB
ID:	1453736

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	1453737

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	1453738

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    Yes it would be really nice to be able to purchase the S2000 woofers individually and use the coax in WCW arrangement for the center and CWW arrangement for the L/R in a soundbar.

I haven't found anything else that uses that same frame or basket.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Baffles drying, maybe tomorrow. Excited to hear a coax speaker.

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	873
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	1453660

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    BOB, I just ordered 2 from Meniscus, thanks.

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Well, the product page says 11/06. Orphan boxes, hope not.

• BOBinGA
    replied
    I hope they come back in stock. The similar CX150 seems to be discontinued, but Meniscus still has a few. I was planning to use the CX150s for atmos height speakers, but maybe they will be stocked again. If not, I guess I will use SB’s. But that’s a project for next year.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    This project wasn't in my mind until BOBingGA posted the XO. Always wanted to do a coax, so here's the last build this season. I won't do a build thread, just post a few pics here. Prebuilt the innards, the actual driver is back ordered for a month. Some fairly nice 1/2" ply, veneer with a 1/4" MDF baffle on all or part of the front. I plan to get them all built and waiting for the drivers in the next week. This is a pair of ported speakers for a 2.1 setup, the original being a single center channel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	449.9 KB ID:	1453225

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0003.JPG Views:	41 Size:	866.0 KB ID:	1453243

PSA mahogany veneer left from last year Zingers build. 1/2" MDF baffle, glued to 1/2" ply front panel, 1" baffle, overkill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0004.JPG Views:	0 Size:	445.9 KB ID:	1453406

CX120s should be here today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	920.2 KB ID:	1453497

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	950.5 KB
ID:	1453524
    Last edited by djg; 10-07-2020, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Wow, that's way simpler than I expected! Well done Bob.

Leave a comment:

• BOBinGA
    replied

Name:	CX120-8 as built photo.png
Views:	1109
Size:	649.4 KB
ID:	1452888 Here is the final XO:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CX120-8 as built large.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.3 KB ID:	1452883
    It has a very slight 1 to 2db upward bias in the 800 to 2000hz range to help with voice intelligibility. Otherwise, its flat.
    C1= 3.3uF
    R1= 3.0 ohms
    L1= 1.2mH
    C2= 4.7uF
    Last edited by BOBinGA; 09-29-2020, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    Did you ever post the complete xover schematic?

Leave a comment:

• BOBinGA
    replied
    I have been using this as my living room center channel with the PEDS as left and right, PS95s as rears and an 8” sub I have not documented since the driver is long discontinued. It works great for this purpose since my wife and I don’t listen too loud. But the CX120 center does exactly what I need - it makes dialog very easy to understand.

I have considered using the CX120 in a LCR sound bar. I think that would be good high value build with a subwoofer and an inexpensive 5.1 AVR. But I don’t need this now, so I will leave that to others.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X