Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Norman Druce

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...it/4023226002/

Another one gone far too young. I had wondered why I hadn't seen Xmax posting, and I was on the phone with a long time friend talking to him about gear that he was preparing for NAMM, when I brought up Atomic, and he told me that Norman had passed. I thought some of you would want to know. Glenn.

He was an interesting guy, I'm going to miss talking smack about his wild ideas and misunderstandings. Would liked to have met him in person.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
      He was an interesting guy, I'm going to miss talking smack about his wild ideas and misunderstandings. Would liked to have met him in person.
      Are you so sure they were misunderstandings ? His speakers get great reviews. They are all over the world in studios. How many pairs of speakers have you sold for $ 6700.00 a pair. What studios are they in ? Maybe a lot of people should be evaluating what they think they know about loudspeaker design. This forum is stuck in the " there is only one way to design a speaker" mentality. The free software way. Which is why so many speakers at the diy events sound alike.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Well, I've always thought your posts are a great improvement to the mentality of this forum. Keep up the great work, Craig!
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Well, he died like a rock star. RIP.
          "She don't love my speakers anymore..."

Comment

So Craig, educate us about his speakers. I didn't see much on the net except a brief description of the SixTen studio monitor.

Comment

Accidental drug overdose, huh.
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

Well shoot, I'm going to miss him. He was a lot of fun. 46 is waay too young. RIP Norman.

I always admired the way he dealt with round after round of "you're doing it wrong" with good natured humor. It's like he didn't have anything to prove to anyone, or something.

Comment

Wow! That was Xmax? Sorry to hear he passed away. He always had something interesting to say.
                  -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                  My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                  The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Rest in Peace XMAX. I liked his posts and had wondered why he had stopped posting here.

Comment

He used one of my derogatory comments for his sig line.

When he started name dropping in here I thought he was delusional, but I came to see he was very successful and hard working. I never knew who he "really" was until this thread.

What a shame.

Comment

What a shame. I remember his posts and his incredulity in regards to standard practice. I think he liked to get a reaction. Anyway, it is a shame he has left us so young.

Comment

He was the real deal, professionally, and he left a lot of love behind. I wish that I had been able to meet the man and spend a day in the studio with him. He was a very gracious man behind the scene, and thoughtful and kind. Whenever I see another waste of a young life, it makes me even more grateful that I was able to make the changes in my life that I did. We all battle demons on different levels, and it sucks when they win. Glenn.

Comment

I'm stunned . . . I was working with Norman regularly for the last year and a half. The man knew his stuff. He was a big help to me at the time my wife passed away. We talked for hours about life.

Unreal . . .
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                              We all battle demons on different levels, and it sucks when they win. Glenn.
                              It seems creativity and those demons go hand in hand for quite a few talented people.

He came across a little brash & boastful at first, but I noticed his wit & willingness to contribute. It's a sad loss and I do wish I had met him in person.
                              Last edited by tom_s; 12-18-2019, 04:46 PM. Reason: redundant redundancy
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                              X