Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*HELP* DATS V3 Not Measuring GRS 1TM-4 (Dayton B652 Tweeter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *HELP* DATS V3 Not Measuring GRS 1TM-4 (Dayton B652 Tweeter)

DATS V3 not measuring GRS 1TM-4 (Dayton B652 Tweeter). Any idea? I need these measurements because I'm working on a xover mod for the b652. The only measurements I get back are Re and Le. I would upload a photo but this Tech Talk website is very buggy and I get "invalid server response" errors about every minute. When I try to upload a photo I get "Your session timed out while you were operating and you were logged out. You must log in again to continue."

Got the photo to upload!

Comment

Is it out-of-circuit?
      Can you measure anything else w/your DATS?
      Show us the full B652 plot . . .

Comment

One of these ? Click image for larger version

Name:	dayton.png
Views:	347
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1433758 Click image for larger version

Name:	grs.png
Views:	340
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1433759

Comment

That looks like a possible valid measurement for the air version AMT.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
            That looks like a possible valid measurement for the air version AMT.
            Right ........ Click image for larger version

Name:	amt.png
Views:	282
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1433770

Comment

I've measured several other speakers seems to be working fine. I tried the other tweeter from the B652 and it has same issue. It makes the sweep sound but still only gives Re and Le. Here's a pick of a sweep connected to the whole speaker.

Comment

Tweeter is from the B652 (NON-AIR)

Comment

Originally posted by IowAudio View Post
                  Here's a pick of a sweep connected to the whole speaker.
                  That shows no indication of the presence of a crossover or a tweeter, it looks like a sweep of just a woofer.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Yup

Even if the tweeter was "open" (or shorted), SOMEwhere (between 2k & 5kHz?) you'd see one pass-filter handing off to the other - that is just weird !
                    Do both speakers measure the same?
                    Do they make any high frequencies?

Comment

Alright go easy on me, I made a small mistake. The first reading was the speaker I had already taken apart and the tweeter wasn't hooked up inside, just grabbed the wrong one my bad. Here's the correct response for the full speaker. I also tried both tweeters again and they won't measure. I put the speakers back together and they sound fine. I contacted PE tech support about this a week ago, they took my name and number but still haven't heard back : (

Comment

Don't mean to be rude (am I being rude?) but it SEEMs like you might not have enough background (yet) for your task at hand?

Your 1st plot looks to show about a 0.04mH coil (and that's what your Le measures)!
                        Could it be that GRS mylar dome? (No mfr. curves avail. to look at AFAIK.) If it IS, it must have ferrofluid and next to ZERO impedance rise at Fs (this does NOT seem very likely). As has been stated, it LOOKs like the "Air"'s AMT tweeter? Care to show us a pic of your speaker to confirm??
                        Could a small dome v.c. have an Le as low as 0.04mH? I think it could if it wasn't much of a coil?

Your 2nd plot looks like a typical woofer; either "free air" w/a resonance (Fs) just under 100Hz /OR/ a woofer (w/a lower Fs) in a closed box - but neither one has a filter attached.

Your 3rd plot looks like a 2-way in a vented box (I didn't think these little Dayton speakers WERE vented?) tuned at or just below 80Hz, w/a (elec.) crossover point near 2.2kHz.

Do you have a measurement mic? If you're going to mod this XO (care to show us a pic of the "stock" XO?) I think .frd files will be at least as important as .zma files to you.

Comment

Again they are the Dayton B652 (Not the Airs) I know the difference guys, I own both versions. My last free air measurement is a B652 stock untouched, they are not vented, they use the GRS 1TM-4 tweeter and have a single 6.8uf cap only on the tweeter as a basic first order. I trying to figure out why DATS V3 isn't giving me Fs, Qts, Qes, Qms. I reset my laptop and ran the DATS calibration again then tested got better results this time but the tweeter alone still isn't returning complete measurements. Anyways here's some pics. I do have the Dayton measurement mic and REW software. Terribly sorry about some of the bad measurements in the prior posts, really just busy lately and trying to squeeze this project in. I really appreciate any and all help.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I think if you would set your
                            DATS display to ' light ' ( white screen with dark graph )
                            It would make your display pics way more legible over
                            the Web.

Comment

Now THAT looks like a closed-box 2 way !

ALL the DATS Q values depend on it finding an "acceptable" Fs "peak".
                              No peak, no Fs.
                              No Fs, no Qes or Qms (and it uses those to calculate Qts).

I don't think there's anything wrong w/your DATS.

PE SHOULD be able to show us a zma plot of this tweeter (to see if your results are typical).

Comment

Working...
                              X