No announcement yet.

Jeff Bagby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a terrible loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Comment

2020 has been the worst year, and this news makes me ill to my stomach. To the man who taught me so much about how to measure speakers and drivers and phass, who made Passive Crossover Designer, and imparted this forum with so much knowledge,

Rest In Peace
      :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Stunned, definitely. Sad day, I will miss my interactions with Jeff, he was helpful to me in many ways. I wish I could have met him in person.

dlr
        WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Never had the pleasure of meeting Jeff but his many contributions to this hobby are so readily apparent to even the newest to this forum. He is one of those names that we all know and respect and I'm certain his legacy will live on here with all of us. RIP Jeff.
          Carbon13

Comment

Being in a different country, I never had the opportunity to meet or interact with Jeff, but I was a beneficiary of his generosity, in terms of the software and designs he made available for free.

Jeff, you touched so many lives indirectly in the DIY community, and made better sound accessible to so many more people. Thank you and rest in peace

Comment

I messaged Jeff's wife Christine early this morning to let her know that I woke up two times last night and was immediately prompted to pray for Jeff. I am so saddened to hear this. I knew of Jeff back in the Madisound BBS days of the 90's. We later met (2004/2005 I think) when I was visiting my parents in Fort Wayne. We also got together a few years later when I was in Indianapolis. A very humble and knowledgeable guy, and passionate in his faith and love for God. He'll be missed.

Comment

Wow, that is bad news. Rest in peace, Jeff.

I always appreciated Jeff's enthusiasm and encouragement. I remember sitting next to him during the micro-speaker challenge at InDIYana while his Quarks and my Heliums were going head-to-head and Jeff was proclaiming out loud that the Heliums were better. I think it had a lot to do with the placement on stands out in the room (Heliums have full BSC), but it really just illustrates that Jeff was really a selfless advocate for the art and science of speaker building rather than his own self-interest.

Those of you who were around when Jeff came out with Passive Crossover Designer can probably appreciate what a game changer it was as a user friendly freeware design tool. Before that, we were all fumbling around with things like Speaker Workshop or older versions of LspCAD and Soundeasy (hint: not easy). Between that and his classes that have been mentioned, I think he is at least as responsible as anyone else for the consistently high quality sound we are all hearing at DIY events across the country.

Best wishes to Jeff's family during this difficult time.
                Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Such a sad day.. :(
                  -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                  My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                  The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Rest in peace Jeff. You will be sorely missed.
                    “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Very sad day.

Prayers for his family.

Comment

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
                        I messaged Jeff's wife Christine early this morning to let her know that I woke up two times last night and was immediately prompted to pray for Jeff. I am so saddened to hear this. I knew of Jeff back in the Madisound BBS days of the 90's. We later met (2004/2005 I think) when I was visiting my parents in Fort Wayne. We also got together a few years later when I was in Indianapolis. A very humble and knowledgeable guy, and passionate in his faith and love for God. He'll be missed.
                        I knew Jeff for almost 20 years, he will be sorely missed. I sent Chris a note this afternoon, and I hope the best for them.

I was actually present in the Ft. Wayne and Indy visits too. What a blast that was in the audio salon with those B&W 801 and McIntosh gear. One of my fondest memories, as I was the noob with the veterans of the hobby. Shawn was there at the Indy meet.

I met Jeff first in text on the old Madisound BBS forum, around 1999 (Rick, you too for that matter), and then in person about a year later or so because he lived just shy of 2 hours away. I'll never forget hearing his 'Davids' (after his son who was 4 at the time) for the first time, and being totally impressed. Jeff modeled the xover for my first 'serious' build, and I still have the notes-package he gave me for that. He took me under his wing a bit when I was first starting out in the hobby, and I am far from the only person he helped along the way. Remarkable, selfless, generous, humble, honest, teaching, and sincere all describe this man I was lucky to call a friend. This is a true loss of a well admired peer and cohort.

As an example, he used to tell everyone that he wished he could tell them he taught me everything I know, smile, laugh, etc. He in fact did teach me and others a lot though. Anything I'd bounce his way he'd answer thoroughly.

He loved his family, he loved the Lord, he loved his friends, and he loved designing speakers. My kind of guy.

Jeff- say hi to Matt for me, okay?
                        See you 2 in a while...
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I had the good fortune of meeting Jeff a couple of times at InDIYana. The last time was when I brought my pair of Carita’s. He designed the crossovers and I remember commenting to the group that one of the reasons I built them was because I wanted to hear a “Jeff Bagby” crossover.

He said something to the effect of “Big Deal!, I’ve heard a few and they aren’t really that good.”

A more humble man hasn’t live on this planet!

My thoughts and prayers are going out to his family. As all have said, he will be missed.

God speed Jeff!

Mark

Comment

RIP Jeff

Comment

I can't say anything better about Jeff than what everyone else has said. We lost a great guy and contributor to our niche hobby.
                              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

I knew Jeff for almost 20 years, he will be sorely missed. I sent Chris a note this afternoon, and I hope the best for them.

I was actually present in the Ft. Wayne and Indy visits too. What a blast that was in the audio salon with those B&W 801 and McIntosh gear. One of my fondest memories, as I was the noob with the veterans of the hobby. Shawn was there at the Indy meet.

I met Jeff first in text on the old Madisound BBS forum, around 1999 (Rick, you too for that matter), and then in person about a year later or so because he lived just shy of 2 hours away. I'll never forget hearing his 'Davids' (after his son who was 4 at the time) for the first time, and being totally impressed. Jeff modeled the xover for my first 'serious' build, and I still have the notes-package he gave me for that. He took me under his wing a bit when I was first starting out in the hobby, and I am far from the only person he helped along the way. Remarkable, selfless, generous, humble, honest, teaching, and sincere all describe this man I was lucky to call a friend. This is a true loss of a well admired peer and cohort.

As an example, he used to tell everyone that he wished he could tell them he taught me everything I know, smile, laugh, etc. He in fact did teach me and others a lot though. Anything I'd bounce his way he'd answer thoroughly.

He loved his family, he loved the Lord, he loved his friends, and he loved designing speakers. My kind of guy.

Jeff- say hi to Matt for me, okay?
                                See you 2 in a while...
                                Wolf
                                Thanks for filling in the details that I missed. It's hard to believe how far back we all go. Does anyone know the companies and / or designs that Jeff did? It would be nice to give him some recognition for his commercial work.
                                Last edited by rickcraig; 03-24-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X