No announcement yet.

Taking a Crack at a Tiny Bluetooth Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping outside the US is $$. I can stuff shipped to Sumas, WA for free. To my house, 4miles north in Abbotsford, BC? $46 USD for four 4" PRs. Yeouch.. Had to get them from those Canadian guys that make the crossover components. Shipping wasn't exactly cheap from them either but cheaper overall.

And those TangBand woofer modules look cool. I have had them in my cart a couple of times but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Oh My GOSH! How does it cost that much to ship a few tiny drivers to Australia? I feel bad for you, that's just not fair! I get stuff from China for pennies and free shipping to boot, and you've got to give blood and sell your dog just to get a few drivers.

TomZ
      Just fun when 1 AUD buys 62 US cents lol....plus we have a goods and services tax now of 10% wacked on top, which a few years ago anything under 1k was excluded. But yeah 20-50 USD for shipping depending on size and weight, even had on quote originally when k was looking for some 6" drivers and tweeters of 150 USD, so assumed the magnets weighed a bit lol....makes the 6 week wait on free shipping from china worth a punt sometimes

I did get free US shipping recently from another supplier for a.$60 AUD order which was cool...

​​​​​​Sorry hijacked this for a second..... continue with your awesome build

Comment

I got a little done on this today, since it's kind of slow around here I'll post as I go for those who are bored.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Box mockup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.9 KB ID:	1436522 Click image for larger version  Name:	Box Mockup top.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	1436523
        Basically, the bottom and side pieces are the same piece, which simplified things a bit. The angle is around 7 degrees. That's 1/4" MDF by the way, this thing is only going to be about 8" wide when finished.

I made a template of the front/rear profile out of 1/2" MDF and rubbed some glue into the end grain so the router bearing won't dent it and change the size as I'll probably be making a few of these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Template.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.8 KB ID:	1436524
        I've learned for stuff like this to make one 'perfect' master template and then make the rest from that. It's easier to get one piece shaped to perfection than it is to get 4 of them or however many I may need.

Hopefully I can get a few of these assembled tomorrow minus the tops. I'll need to let the glue dry on the carcass before I go torqueing on the top layer. That is a fair amount of curve in it. The hump in the middle is 1/4" taller than the sides, but it is only 8" wide, so it takes a bit of pressure to get it to conform. Plus the sides will be 1/4" material, so not a lot to glue to. I plan on only using one layer of 1/8" HDF for the top. It's incredibly rigid with the curve in it.

I kind of think now that I'll put the Passive Radiators on the rear. I was going to mount them to the sides, but I don't think they will walk around as the moving weight is pretty low on those since I didn't need to add any weight. I think the sides will look 'off' if they have PR's in them.

That's it for the moment.

TomZ
        Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Hey Tom, I like the shape, you keeping that internal section for the electronics?
          ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
            Hey Tom, I like the shape, you keeping that internal section for the electronics?
            ​​​​​
            Thanks. Yes, rather than try to keep the electronics airtight, I'll just section them off I figure. I need to remember to drill holes for speaker wire before gluing it up.
            TomZ
            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

Thanks. Yes, rather than try to keep the electronics airtight, I'll just section them off I figure. I need to remember to drill holes for speaker wire before gluing it up.
              TomZ
              What enclosure volume you going for with these? I started work on my TEBM35 case, going to be a simple build this time.

Comment

What enclosure volume you going for with these? I started work on my TEBM35 case, going to be a simple build this time.
                It looks to be about 0.536 Liters or 32.81 cu. in. at this point. It may decrease a tiny bit if I need to put some kind of filter on this thing... I'd rather not bother -- nothing sounds awful, and space is at a premium -- but if something really nasty sounding shows up once I start to run a few sweeps I may need to correct for it.

Them: Hey that's cool... you made the feet on your little Bluetooth radio look like .27 millihenry air-core inductors!
                Me: If you like that, you'll love the sandcast resistor looking feet on the back!

TomZ

Comment

Here's a little progress to show for today...

This is the back off the enclosure, the panel is not glued in yet. Shown is the amp board installed with it's 1/8" audio input jack and USB input.
                  The black button under the pot is the momentary-on button to activate the voltage display on the front of the unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Panel.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	1436959

Name:	Amp Recess.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	1436960
                  This is 1/4" MDF. I took my time drilling the holes and filing and drum sanding out the recess areas on the rear of the panel with a Dremel tool.

The entire area is saturated with wood glue to 'firm' up the fibers as much as possible. It's pretty thin, and that makes me nervous, but there is also a piece of plywood that the amp board will screw to which will give it some sturdiness as USB jump drives are being inserted and removed, etc. Drop it though, and I bet it's toast!

Here is a shot of the front showing the tiny voltage display unit which inserts at just about the thickness of the 1/4" MDF, which looks pretty cool.

Name:	Front Top.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	1436958 Click image for larger version

Name:	IR input grindout.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1436957
                  The hole above the display is for the IR receiver to be able to 'see' outside the cabinet. I had to grind that out pretty well also. I'll hot glue the IR receiver before I get the goodies installed in the center section. I need to test out the longer leads before I get it all wired up and find that it doesn't work. The idea is to make a 'kit' of sorts that can be easily assembled after the enclosure is veneered and finished off nicely.

I also need to drill the openings for the rear passive radiators before mounting the rear panel as the MDF loves to tear out while using Fostner bits. Even sharp ones. Go half-way through with a backer board, then flip and finish.

There will be a push-on, push-off switch on the top middle. It is actually a 12v LED switch, but I'm not sure I want to waste the run time on keeping a little light lit. Probably wouldn't draw much, though. I'll think about that.

I actually have three of these cabinets going on at the same time, but I'm proceeding further with only one of them as I want to learn from mistakes that I haven't yet made. Also, I have a few charging boards coming that I'd like to see if I can implement into this same form factor. I have a few finishing ideas for this that may include smaller bits of plexiglass and slightly modified front panels, etc. Rather than make version 1.0 complicated and risk issues, I figure I'd 'KISS' and go from there.

Hopefully more tomorrow; thanks for looking.

TomZ

Comment

And the soda can for perspective....

Name:	Soda Can Compare.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	1436965

Comment

wow. I know what size drivers we are dealing with but am always surprised when a size comparison gets posted. That is TINY!!

Comment

Where did you get that huge Coke can?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          Where did you get that huge Coke can?
                          Heh, heh, heh...
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

This is dooooooppppppe
                            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

And the soda can for perspective....

Name:	Soda Can Compare.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	1436965
                              Might be similar size to my BMR build ...

On the topic of cans, I'm still contemplating a mono speaker with passives that looks like a beer can lol much like this beast of an IPA (9.5%)

I've saved the label and was ready to 3d print a can when I got distracted with the BF37 build
                              Attached Files

Comment

Might be similar size to my BMR build ...

On the topic of cans, I'm still contemplating a mono speaker with passives that looks like a beer can lol much like this beast of an IPA (9.5%)

I've saved the label and was ready to 3d print a can when I got distracted with the BF37 build
                                I like the idea of a can speaker. I've used a can opener to take the top off before, could you just print a top transition piece and actually use the can?
                                TomZ

Comment

Working...
                                X