Desperately seeking the right speakers for DIY bluetooth speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately seeking the right speakers for DIY bluetooth speaker

Hello, i made a simple bluetooth speaker for me. Using cheap visaton and a 4" woofer speaker i got from a very cheap logitech 2.1 system. This is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGX3Jc5Z74c

First of all i would like to say i am super happy with the speaker, it does its job, its very loud and bass shakes the bench its sitting on. Now i would like to replicate this speaker, make them for my friends also. The problem i got is finding the right speakers for cheap price. I cant seem to find a proper 4" speaker with high sensitivity that will go as low as the one in the video. The problem with the speaker from logitech is that it has no number or anything on it, so i cant find it online. I dont care much for quality of the sound, just as long as its loud and has some bass. So, can you help me in finding the speaker i need ? I am fine even if it goes only as high as 1000Hz, just as long as lows are good and sensitivity is at least 87dB per 1W/2.83V 8 ohms. I am using a small enclosure as u can see in the video.

First impressions were I thought you used the original Xbox, then noticed the wrap. So is one of them a full range driver?

Comment

Yes, visaton frs 8 m, it does its job. I am having difficulty finding the other one, for low frequencies

Comment

Usually speakers with higher sensitivity will inherently have weaker bass (less low-end extension...AKA they don't reach the lower notes) and/or they'll want a bigger box or else their bass will be strangled and weaker. You might be limited to around [email protected]/2.83V 8ohms if you want it to reach 50hz in a box that size (I'm guessing around 5litres / 0.175ft^3 internal space).
        If you drop to a lower efficiency you could get an [email protected]/2.83V 8ohms speaker to reach down to 40hz in a 5L / 0.175ft box.

The DaytonAudio DA115-8 or DS115-8 or DSA115-8 could be decent options for an [email protected] speaker that'll reach 50hz in 5L.
        The DaytonAudio TCP115-8 could be a nice and affordable option for an [email protected] speaker that'll reach 40hz in 5L.
        There are obviously many other brands and options, but a lot of the Dayton stuff is pretty solid for the price.

Do you have a particular box size you're aiming for (if so, can you tell us the size)?
        Do you need the speaker to handle 30-40watts or is a 15-20watt speaker plenty?
        My first 2way build

Comment

Dayton TCP115-4 in 2L either vented or with passive radiators will return F3 values in the low 60hz range

Comment

Thank you for all your replies !

To be honest i will be making speakers of different sizes. Some very small compact speakers obviously with weaker bass and loudness - meant for portability. And some bigger, stronger speakers to have better bass and better loudness. I already bought TCP115-4 and compared it with the 4" speaker i got from woofer. The difference in loudnes is very very big. You can barely hear the TCP115-4 on my 2x25W amp, while u can hear the 4" from 2.1 system very loud. I didnt compare bass between them because the logitech is already in an enclosure and i cannot take it out.

As for how low i want to go, honestly i dont know. I have no way to measure how low my speaker goes exept with program that plays fixed frequency. By doing that i would say it has very loud 80Hz, then obviously goes lower as i lower the frequency. It still plays well at 40Hz, obviously less loud as 80Hz. When i say bass, i am not looking to compare with JBL speakers, i wont be able to do that. But my speaker really has a bang when i play it.

I got me some square PVC pipes from which i wanna make speakers. I will measure their size and let u know so u will know what volume i intend to use.

Comment

Do they need to be 8ohm speakers or can one or more of the amps you're using handle 4ohm speakers?
              My first 2way build

Comment

The amps i am getting soon can handle 4 ohms. The 4" woofer speaker is also 4 ohms.

Comment

You'd have a better outcome if you read up on this some. Things are W-A-A-Y more complicated than you probably think they are.

Comment

I know they are. That is why i am trying to replicate what i already did. The fact that i managed to get results i want with that 1 speaker makes me belive i can get similar results with the same speaker. The problem is i cannot find it and that is why i asked for help.

Comment

You need to have someone measure the T/S parms of the cheap 4" speaker that you've used.

Comment

You can't just find another Logitech system on Ebay to swipe the driver from?

I dont care much for quality of the sound, just as long as its loud and has some bass. So, can you help me in finding the speaker i need ?

The bar is set low
                        Francis

Comment

I actualy found some people with the system and am waiting to have it delivered to me. I would love it if i found someone who could measure its data. I wouldnt be surprised if its frequency response looked bad on a graph. Because it simply cannot be a high quality speaker if the whole system was like 30 dollars when it was new. Sadly i dont know enough about it all to say anything, i learn as i go.

Comment

Originally posted by SentinelAeon View Post
                            I actualy found some people with the system and am waiting to have it delivered to me. I would love it if i found someone who could measure its data. I wouldnt be surprised if its frequency response looked bad on a graph. Because it simply cannot be a high quality speaker if the whole system was like 30 dollars when it was new. Sadly i dont know enough about it all to say anything, i learn as i go.
                            I'm guessing that Logitech simply contracted with someone in the Far East to design and make it. I doubt they have a speaker design division, but who knows. In any event if the bug bites, there are plenty of high value 4" drivers at Parts Express you could experiment with.
                            Francis

Comment

Could you give me a few examples ? Like i said dayton 115 is perfect as far as bass goes. The problem is that i am dealing with low wattage amps to save battery power and its sensitivity is just to low :/

Comment

Working...
                              X