No announcement yet.

Jeff Bagby Tribute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get on the board often anymore so as any of you could imagine, I'm in complete disbelief to see that Jeff passed from coronavirus. Horrible, horrible news.
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
    MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

In the course of working on the cabinet I realized that the midrange cutout for flush mounting might be too difficult for some builders. To help with this there's the option of a CNC cut baffle. I also ran some curves today to see how the surface mounted variation measures. Here are the curves for both mountings - ignore the low end differences as these were taken on different days and the speaker location is close to the same location but not exact.

The first graph is on-axis and the second one is 30 degrees off-axis horizontally.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rickcraig; 05-27-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Making some progress. This is my take on Rick's new design to honor Jeff. I'll be donating this pair of cabinets for the fundraiser Rick is planning, all proceeds will go to Jeff's wife and son. Hoping to have the cabinets finished up by end of next weekend. Pictures were right after the first coat of lacquer this evening, additional coats will happen tomorrow. Tried to make the cabinets somewhat unique and incorporated curved facets on the sides. The veneer is disguising it that more than anticipated. Will start posting full build details tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	1442161

Name:	1c.jpg
Views:	1149
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	1442162
        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
        The Archers
        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Wow!
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Craig!

Very special Kevin! I can imagine Jeff smiling from above.
          "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank You!

Beautiful work, Kevin.
          Paul

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Paul!

To my eyes it doesn't get any more beautiful! You possess taste, talent, and skill on the highest level. Glenn.

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Very kind words, thank you Glenn.

Those are gorgeous!!! They remind me a bit of the Spirit Winds in color and shape.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ben!

Wow those are just outstanding and a very generous contribution to Rick's project and Jeff's memory. Beautiful.

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Scott!

Those things are just plain stunning!
          Really, really good choice of veneer too; the character it adds is significant.

It's a really nice thing you and Rick are doing, and it looks like it will all-around be something truly special. Hopefully it reinforces to Miss Bagby and her son some inkling of an idea of how much we all thought of Jeff.

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Tom! I hope it gives Christine and her son some emotional support to know how much he meant to the community. Jeff's contributions were invaluable.

great veneer work -- book matched with perfect symmetry and invisible seams. You gotta tell us the secrets to those seams!

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Will do my best to share as many tips as possible while revealing the build details.

Outstanding cabinets/veneer, and the FR graph too. This is very tantalizing. Especially considering the price being mentioned.

Comment

• Kevin K.
            Kevin K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Sir! I'm looking forward to hearing them, although that's probably still a ways out. Maybe in the next week or so.

Seeing Kevin Kendrick's work reminds me of why I don't build my own cabinets...lol

The kit is ready to go - all I have to is create a write-up and Meniscus is ready to publish. I also have a speaker being built per the kit plans and it will be sent out for 3rd party testing.

Comment

Beautiful. You lowered and truncated the tweeter compared to the simple box plan location.

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Kevin K. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Yes, lowered the mid 1/2", truncated the tweeter and lowered it 3/4". Not sure how much of a difference it will make on the FR with Rick's original crossovers. If it requires some adjustments for this raffle pair, he'll take care of it.

Details on the build of the raffle cabinets to follow, we'll start out with the baffles and later move on to the cabinets and veneer work.

Name:	0-Raffle Cabinets.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1442299CAD model of the Integrity raffle cabinet.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	1442300The baffle consist of three pieces of MDF. Two pieces are 1" thick, one piece is 1-1/4" thick.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	1442301 An epoxy laminating resin is used as the adhesive for the MDF.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	1442302The parts are clamped together for 24 hours.

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1442303 This is a picture of the rough cut being done with a 3/4" FE.
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
            The Archers
            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
            X