X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomzarbo
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jan 2006

Kevin, those look astonishingly good!
    The last two pics really highlight the curve on the front facet area. Those things look good at any angle.

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Kevin K.
      Kevin K. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom! Yea, it's hard to fully capture the curved facets with the camera. The veneer is doing a good job of camouflaging them also. Up close and personal, it's much easier to see.
  • Paul K.
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Kevin, absolutely gorgeous.
    Paul

Comment

• Kevin K.
      Kevin K. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Paul!
  • AEIOU
    Midrange Member
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Kevin K.
    Confession: By far, the hardest part of this build for me was picking the veneer. I looked at many different species and reached out to several friends for their opinions, you guys know who you are and thanks again for letting me bounce all the different choices off you. It's difficult, if not impossible to cater to all the different individual's taste in one veneer species. So, it was either a matter of going with the current trend, which at the moment is greys or looking for something really unique and letting the character of the wood overcome individuals color preferences. I feel I found a unique enough lot of veneer to appeal to most and hope it does well in the raffle Rick plans for Jeff's family. On to the veneer work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200515_232512_HDR.jpg Views:	899 Size:	519.8 KB ID:	1442751I've bookmatched a few times now. IMO, the veneer needs to be as flat as possible for good book matches. You can buy softeners or you can make your own. Found a recipe online a couple of years ago, it has worked well for me. 6 parts distilled water, 3 parts denatured alchohol, 1 part glycerin.
    Here in California, we can no longer get (buy) Denatured Alcohol.

Comment

• Kevin K.
      Kevin K. commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that's crazy. Why was it banned? Since you can't purchase it there, easiest solution would be to buy a pre-made softener.
  • AEIOU
    Midrange Member
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by AEIOU

Here in California, we can no longer get (buy) Denatured Alcohol.
    California has banned many chemicals and substances, there are so many things that are no longer allowed. I mean like all the good solvents are gone, no longer readily accessible, can't even get real mineral spirits anymore.

Comment

• rickcraig
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2005

Here's a nearfield sum of the woofer and passive radiator taken from the side of the cabinet.
      Attached Files

Comment

• ani_101
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by rickcraig
        Here's a nearfield sum of the woofer and passive radiator taken from the side of the cabinet.
        when you say side what does that mean? 90 degree to the woofer, -90 degree to the radiator? center of the side horizontal/vertical - how far from the wall? looking to understand the measurement criteria.

Comment

• silverD
          Midrange Member
          • Apr 2014

The woofer is the Deal of the Day today!
          My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• rickcraig
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ani_101

when you say side what does that mean? 90 degree to the woofer, -90 degree to the radiator? center of the side horizontal/vertical - how far from the wall? looking to understand the measurement criteria.
            Taken a few inches from the left or right side of the cabinet so that the microphone is equidistant to both the woofer and PR. This gives a good summation of the outputs. Here are the front and rear curves taken nearfield.
            Attached Files

Comment

• ani_101
              ani_101 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Rick!
          • Jakes_dad
            Been Around Awhile
            • Feb 2018

While sitting around trying to make up my mind how I want to construct the cabinets, I figured that I would try my hand at making a template to flush mount the SB10 midrange.

It's not perfect, but it turned out pretty good for my first attempt at an odd shaped driver recess.

Comment

• Steve Lee
              • Jan 2020

Looks good to me.

Wanna explain your process for cutting that template so well for us?

It would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Comment

• Jakes_dad
                Been Around Awhile
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Steve Lee
                Looks good to me.

Wanna explain your process for cutting that template so well for us?

It would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Steve,

I pretty much followed the instructions on this site:

loudspeaker construction, truncated frame, routing irregular recesses, Bill Schneider

With a couple of tweaks:

1. I wrapped the edge of the driver flange with a couple even wraps of tape. This helped me to center the driver and also made the template slightly over-sized so that I had a little wiggle room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	taped driver.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1447753

Name:	jig.jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1447755

2. I didn't want to flip the driver upside down (resting on the surround) to line up the straight side pieces, so I spaced the template up with a couple of 2x4s and used a stack of playing cards to space the driver up so that it was just proud of the surface so I could line up the sides.

Name:	cards.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1447754

3. I used my circle jig to make a hole before I routed the template so that I didn't have to remove as much material with the flush trim bit.

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1447756

I hope these tweaks made sense, I think I might have confused myself while writing them

Comment

• Steve Lee
                  Steve Lee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This method requires a lot less large sheet material than others I have seen.
                  Thanks for the link and photo's - always nice to see what other people have done.

Best!

• rickcraig
                  rickcraig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for posting! If you're building the kit please email me for the assembly information. You can reach me here [email protected] .
              • rickcraig
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Oct 2005

Here's the Audio Science Review Klippel NFS test of the Integrity kit. Many thanks to Amir at ASR for taking the time to do this. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.15695/

Comment

• mlau
                  Midrange Member
                  • Feb 2017

Fey Eick,

Thanks for doing this!

did covid do Jeff in?
                  Sheesh what a world.

Comment

• brkitup
                    Midrange Member
                    • Jul 2009

Just trying to follow up on this. I was really interested in the raffle for these, but it's now been seven months since they were completed. Did I miss it? Thanks.
                    Eric L.

Comment

• tomzarbo
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jan 2006

I'm wondering what happened with the raffle as well.
                      Also, I'd love to just see another picture of these speakers!

TomZ
                      Last edited by tomzarbo; 02-10-2021, 12:22 PM.
                      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Working...