X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottsehlin
    replied
    Originally posted by scholl View Post

The FTX series 1 and 2 are a different design than the FET, FTX uses the vertical MOSFets like hifi amps. the FET are more like Hafler amps. The series 3 goes back to lateral but are the BUZ types. I borrowed a big SAE A501 amp and the Ashly has a notedly fuller midbass tone. The SAE found a place on the shelf until it can be returned. ClassDaudio modules with huge power supplies might have a little better sound stage but I never really trust those with heavy music at high output. I like looking at schematics and the Ashly designs are as modern as Adcom, Parasound and Emotiva, they're not Accuphase but nothing is. They're more sophisticated designs than Crown, MAC, QSC, AB international, Peavey etc. The only things to mod on them are input caps and power supply caps which are easy to do. I did it to one with measurable ripple and sag improvement but not much sonic improvement. The whole amp can be completely disassembled in 15 minute with two or three tools. I buy the Ashlys for $85 to $125 each and have a few opportunities a year to buy them local. If the local amps are series 3 for under $125 buy them. If you can find an Accuphase Pro5 for under $1000 buy that. Anything in between is a toss up.
    This is good info. Thank you. Seller is asking a little above that range, so I'll see if I can negotiate.

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied
    Son of ampzilla x 2 and grandson x 2. I do like GAS amps.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    As is often the case, standard operating procedure with fledgling hi-end audio companies is they garner some success in a lucrative market, have a need to raise cash to further increase their capabilities, and lose control of their business through acquisition by another larger company. Anyhow, super audio giant Klipsch bought Aragon and Acurus (what else did they get in that acquisition?) and gathered from some reading, they are doing what most large corporations do when buying a name; maximize profits and milk the name dry. Sad, but another company will eventually fill the void.

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    commented on 's reply
    Not a full on commitment in that mission statement

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by Waboo View Post

I remember D'Agostino form the late 80's and 90's in ads and reviews in Stereophile and others. I had forgotten about the Aragon line. Sadly, Adcom seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    Yeah, I don't think Adcom tries very hard these days. A quote from their website:

Considering our history of success, we still keep up with the new generation products and try to make the under ADCOM engineering the best what we can deliver in affordable prices.

Lol!

Leave a comment:

• Waboo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

If you don't mind used, a Krell fpb300, ksa250, and the like can be had for <$3k with a pre-Klispch Aragon, another well acclaimed amp with Dan D'Agostino fingerprints all over it, for a bit less than that. The Adcom 555 is a solid performer, smooth comes to mind.
    I remember D'Agostino form the late 80's and 90's in ads and reviews in Stereophile and others. I had forgotten about the Aragon line. Sadly, Adcom seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by Waboo View Post
    I have an Adcom 555 MkII I bought new in '93 that I use for 2 channel. Still original with no upgrades and I still rather enjoy it. Hooked up to an Adcom GTP-500 (I think that's it).

Mid-range Onkyo 7.2 for HT.

30 years ago I used to dream of owning the big name amps like Krell and Threshold, but no longer. They're simply outrageous these days.
    If you don't mind used, a Krell fpb300, ksa250, and the like can be had for <$3k with a pre-Klispch Aragon, another well acclaimed amp with Dan D'Agostino fingerprints all over it, for a bit less than that. The Adcom 555 is a solid performer, smooth comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Waboo
    replied
    I have an Adcom 555 MkII I bought new in '93 that I use for 2 channel. Still original with no upgrades and I still rather enjoy it. Hooked up to an Adcom GTP-500 (I think that's it).

Mid-range Onkyo 7.2 for HT.

30 years ago I used to dream of owning the big name amps like Krell and Threshold, but no longer. They're simply outrageous these days.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    The First Watt line-up. The ones not in production are discussed in the forum and generally DIYable:

http://www.firstwatt.com/prod.html

The F4 is especially interesting if you want the "tube" sound. It has no voltage gain, so people put a triode gain stage before it.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    The difference is the THD rating. FirstWatt amps are more power at higher 1% ratings. The 25W is at like .00005% or something like that.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I built one of these. Reproduction of a "classic". tubes4hifi.com has other Dynaco derived kits and several tube preamp kits.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-35-kit-120-vac/

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. I will check these out. There are a lot of choices there 😳. I am good with probably 25w or close but not the really flea power stuff.

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    Are there any recommendations for good (great) sounding kits?
    Hard to go wrong with any of the First Watt DIY amps, if tens of watts will do you. I'm pretty sure kits are available for most of them if you check out the forum: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    Are there any recommendations for good (great) sounding kits?

Leave a comment:

• ugly woofer
    replied
    The dcg3 can be found on the diyaudio forum.
    The pearl 2 is very good by the way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X