Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SONY SACD-player stops playing SACD-records???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SONY SACD-player stops playing SACD-records???

Hi all,

Just a quick question to hear if anyone of you have encountered the same phenomena.

I bought a SONY SACD-player (SCD-XE597) several years ago, mainly for investigating the SACD format. I haven’t used that functionality for a few years, just using the optical output.

Now, walking away from active XO-s and returning to more basic set-ups, I realize that the SACD-functionality has disappeared. My daughter has the same player with the same absent SACD-functionality. The machine just doesn´t recognize the record as a SACD-record but finds the CD-layer without difficulty.

Now, is this a common problem with SACD-players? With SONY players? Has anyone a clue to the reason and what to do? Is it “repairable” or is it a question of cleaning a laser or something?

Regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Looks like it was/is a known issue. This might be the solution -

https://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/115301/130363
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
      Looks like it was/is a known issue. This might be the solution -

https://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/115301/130363
      Hi and thanks for the link.

It seems that my unit has a software version, making it immune to the cures described in the link.

But thanks anyway!!

regards//lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Some electronics can be reset to factory settings, check your manual. If unavailable many are reset by unplugging the A.C. for a minute then plugging back in while holding down the power button.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
          Some electronics can be reset to factory settings, check your manual. If unavailable many are reset by unplugging the A.C. for a minute then plugging back in while holding down the power button.
          Hi,

tested that, but no difference.

Thanks anyway!!

Regards//lasse

Comment

My electronic skills are very limited but I did once fix an Xbox game console by opening it up and adjusting the tiny potentiometer on the laser assembly. I think lasers dim with time. I found a Youtube video showing how, it had minimum and maximum ohms listed for the laser pot and I adjusted accordingly. That was years ago and it still works. This could be your problem but who knows, good luck.

Comment

I have no idea how to fix that, but am curious how you know if its reading the CD layer vs the SACD layer? I use a Sony blu ray player for SACD''s and always wondered how to verify which layer it's reading

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                I have no idea how to fix that, but am curious how you know if its reading the CD layer vs the SACD layer? I use a Sony blu ray player for SACD''s and always wondered how to verify which layer it's reading
                Hi,

on my model, there is a bright blue light-bulb above the CD-tray, indicating that the machine is in "SACD-mode"

This blue light is not shining anymore……

Regards//lasse

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                  Hi again,

I THINK that when the SACD-layer is read by the player, the digital output is muted, at least on some players.

Just my 5 cents....

//L

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post

Hi again,

I THINK that when the SACD-layer is read by the player, the digital output is muted, at least on some players.

Just my 5 cents....

//L
                    Interesting, is it possible just the LED isn't working? My player only has HDMI and Optical outputs.

Comment

lasse, you have a p.m.
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
                      X