Looking for deap round grill for 18" subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for deap round grill for 18" subwoofer

I am building a massive subwoofer with my son for his college house. I am having some difficulty finding a round grill cover for a long-throw 18" subwoofer. The driver is flush mounted and has a tall roll and 27" xmax. The 18" grills available a PE and elsewhere are verry shallow and so not seem suitable. I am trying to avoid makeing a round spacer from multiple layers of MDF. It seems like there are many high-excursion deivers these days, and there must be some deap grill covers. Does anyone know of a suitable grill cover?

Originally posted by pick View Post
    The driver is flush mounted and has a tall roll and 27" xmax.
    LOL.. a typo I know but damn... that would be something to see in action.

I think you're looking at a custom grill of some type, maybe do a full cover grill using expanded metal from the local HD store if you don't want to spring for a custom grill from places like TCH.

Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
      LOL.. a typo I know but damn... that would be something to see in action. I think you're looking at a custom grill of some type, maybe do a full cover grill using expanded metal from the local HD store if you don't want to spring for a custom grill from places like TCH.
      I haven’t accepted the metric system yet. Should have said 27mm. I’m not familiar with TCH. I’ll check them out. Thanks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If not there have a look at reliable hardware
        Paul O

Comment

Mount the sub from the inside. Or mount the grill on standoffs to space it out.

Comment

build an mdf ring to act as a standoff

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Mount the sub from the inside. Or mount the grill on standoffs to space it out.
              This is what I'm thinking too. You'd have to make a bunch of little blocks, shaped however you want really -- to bring the cheap waffle grill clear of the excursing beast. There would be gaps between the cabinet and the grill, but it should still protect the cone for the most part.

TomZ
              Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Face the speaker down, no grill needed
                A mains
                The Ventures
                Open Invit8tions
                RSR
                Sound Troopers
                Acorns
                DGBG's
                The Monuments

Comment

From looking at commercial subwoofers in showrooms I have noticed that the grill mounting trends seem to be to either curve the grill frame or to use standoffs to space the grill out away from the driver. Commercial subs typically use plastic or metal framing for their grills although a few companies fashion a standoff grill made from wood frames.

Many speaker grills these days have magnetic attachment of the grill frame to the enclosure. My normal DIY grill frames are usually rectangular frames made from extruded aluminum screen door framing (0.75" wide and 5/16" thick by typically 7' to 8’ long) sold at Lowes, Home Depot, or other big box stores. The framing has a U channel on the rear side. You straight cut the framing pieces to fit your baffle and assemble the frame with the plastic corner pieces sold near the framing material. Small magnets (1/2 inch diameter) are flush mounted in the corners of the enclosure baffle and polarity attracted to a set of magnets glued in the rear of the plastic corner pieces of the frame. Normally, you would use vinyl or metal mesh material to create a window/door cover but you also purchase speaker fabric material. For my speaker grills I cut fabric to wrap around the frame and then use spline (also sold near the framing material) into the U shaped channel on the rear of frame. You can purchase a small roller tool and a slotted screwdriver to insert the spline into the channel. I trim the excess fabric on the rear side of the frame and like magic you have a great looking speaker grill.

Instead of flush mounting the magnets on the baffle in your case you can purchase the Lee Valley steel magnet cups and use long screws to space the cups above the surface of the baffle. For the 27 mm (just over one inch) excursion of the woofer you could cut small (say 3/4" long) sections of 1/2 inch PVC pipe to enclose the screws between the magnet cup and the baffle. Hence, you have the standoff distance you need.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobai...nector/3094521

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobai...orners/3094525

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...-earth-magnets

Comment

Only extra deep grills I've seen are pretty much for general protection if dropped or keeping large things away, Ie a few bars that run across the front.

I agree on cutting the hole larger and adding mounting ring to the back of the baffle. Drops the driver back however thick the baffle is. Did this for my ultimax so it fits behind the fabric grill.

https://i.imgur.com/6LcbRUD.jpg

Or extend the sides of the enclosure so you recess the baffle and mount a standard cloth grill to this edge or add blocks to the inside corners/edges to mount the grill to so the grill is flush with the edges .

Comment

Working...
                    X