Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Mastering is the majority of differences between formats.

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb9999
    replied
    Denon DVD-1920 .. plays everything.

https://www.ebay.com/p/55050390

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
    Sadly, was not really impressed with SACD. Not that it sounded bad, but sounded as if it could easily be the CD master with some mild tweaking.....
    I don't have the reference anymore, but there was an article that basically concluded the same thing. That the actual format of SACD vs CD didn't seem to matter much, but that typically the SACD version was re-mastered better so that it did indeed "seem" better.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Originally posted by davidroberts View Post
    I have an Oppo BD103 ... that I bought ~2014 I think because I thought SACD was going to be the next greatest thing. ... I can't even remember the last time I actually used a physical disc.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=oppo...3+ripping+sacd

Leave a comment:

• kevintomb
    replied
    Sadly, was not really impressed with SACD. Not that it sounded bad, but sounded as if it could easily be the CD master with some mild tweaking.....

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Not all BD players are SACD players, and not all AV equipment will decode the stream if the player is not outputting PCM, there does need to be some compatibility there.

My big Oppo outputting to my Marantz Pre/pro has no issues playing multichannel SACD, I have one disc lol.

Mark, what Oppo?
    Hey Johnny, DV 980h. I think it was their first one but I could be mistaken.

I’ll watch DVD’s but it’s usually underwater videos that one of my dive buddy’s shoots.

I was really hoping that SACD’s and DVD audio discs would sound good when I bought it but sadly, it just doesn’t.

My Ayre CX7 spinning ordinary cd’s is much better.

Have Fun! Mark

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    Hi all,

and thanks for the respons.

I get the general impression that SACD is no longer very important to keep alive.....

All my 20 or so Hybridrecords all sound very nice in ”CD-version” being mostly classical Linn recordings so no music is lost.

Thanks for helping me save money, complexity and space...

Regards//lasse

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    Originally posted by lasse View Post
    Hi all,

I have experienced some trouble with my SONY CD/SACD-player recently in that the player no longer reads the SACD layer.

That can be read about in this thread:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1436681-sony-sacd-player-stops-playing-sacd-records

Now, I´m searching for a new player and find that there are mainly two categories of players in the market: Used 15 years old players in Ebay and esoteric 30-50 kUSD players. None of these are very attractive options

This has led me to the thought that perhaps it´s time to abandon SACD totally. I´m curious in hearing what you all feel about the SQ-merits of that format. Is it worth chasing for in your opinion??

Regards//lasse

Stockholm, Sweden
    It is completely up to you but I know that they are several of the older Pioneers that handled SACDS. I think I have one in the garage. I will check the model # on it tomorrow if you would like.

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    I have an Oppo BD103 (also feeding a Marantz receiver) that I bought ~2014 I think because I thought SACD was going to be the next greatest thing. IIRC I have a total of 10 SACD's. It just never sounded right to me.

My top 3 would be Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits, Metallica Black Album and The Police Greatest Hits. All of which have not been out of their case for years now.

With all the lossless audio formats I can't even remember the last time I actually used a physical disc.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Not all BD players are SACD players, and not all AV equipment will decode the stream if the player is not outputting PCM, there does need to be some compatibility there.

My big Oppo outputting to my Marantz Pre/pro has no issues playing multichannel SACD, I have one disc lol.

Mark, what Oppo?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    The presentation is different in my Denon between SACD and CD alone, and even then it won't play all encoded SACD productions. I have some MoFi James Taylor discs that will only spin up the CD layer. The DC and Blue-Note ones I have work just fine in it. I bought the player for $50 on this forum just to try it out, and I still like and use the player. Then there are supposedly some SACD albums that aren't worth the media it's printed on, like a Ray Charles album- just look it up. So you still get mastering problems even in the SACD format.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied
    Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
    I would forget about it, maybe subscribe to Tidal for some higher rez stuff
    I agree! I have one of the original Oppo do everything players. Ok, no Blu-ray,

I wouldn’t buy one for five bucks at a garage sale! It sounds like crap no matter what I put in it.

Unless you have a boat load of SACD’s that you just can’t live without...

Time to move on.

YMMV, Mark

Leave a comment:

• ontariomaximus
    replied
    I would forget about it, maybe subscribe to Tidal for some higher rez stuff

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    But then finding the HDMI DAC to decode the SACD bitstream from the HDMI output becomes problematic.

My Blu-Ray player will NOT read the SACD layer.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• JimHRB
    replied
    What Johnny said. Many of the high end Bluray players will also play SACDs. As well as Bluray, 4k Bluray, DVD, CD, etc. Sometimes called universal disc players. Prices are about $200 to $500 depending on brand, features, etc.

If you really want a dedicated SACD player there's this.
    https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-player/1.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X