nice mid - high speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice mid - high speakers

A while ago i was looking for a nice cheap woofer for my bluetooth speakers and i found it - dayton TCP115 8 ohm for 14€. It is great for this money and works well in small enclosure.

To cover frequencies from 3000-20000Hz, till now i used a cheap 4$ tweeter from aliexpress. It worked fine till now. But judging my its price and it being no-name, i simply cannot belive its a very high quality. And a few people told me he would like a bit louder speaker also. So i switched to dayton TCP115 4 ohm, same price but about 5dB more. So now i am also looking for something for high frequencies that will be louder than that cheap tweeter but still its price will be under 10€ or 10$. Do i even have an option in this price range ? Some high sensitivity visatons maybe ? Amp will be 2x50 or 1x50 or 1x100W, i will do crossover to cut frequencies under 3000Hz.

Build THIS...Duane Brown's Dayton 4...uses your TCP115-4 and a $10 tweeter and sounds great. Or build a bigger cabinet as Drjay did in the "Deluxe" thread.

http://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.co...akers.html?m=1

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...deluxe-versionhttp://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...deluxe-version

Comment

build this

https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...-speakers.html

sounds great and inexpensive crossover and tweeters

here is a build of it:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...stence-monitor

Comment

There are also a couple builds with the TCP woofers using the ~$8 Dayton TD20 tweeter (I think the MKboom / MK42 uses this combo). The TD20 is a hair cheaper, a little more sensitive at 2.84v, and it's rated for twice the watts...So it might allow a little more volume headroom if any of these have documented crossovers and a good reputation (which the Dayton4 mentioned above already has, along with a really affordable crossover). If you're using it for a somewhat larger and more expensive build that's similar but has the headroom to get louder, I think KirbyMeetsAudio did a stereo build using four TCP115-8 and two TD20's.
        My first 2way build

Comment

Thank you for your answers !

That dayton tweeter is really cheap, its only about 4€ more than the no name tweeter i got from aliexpress and since i have good experience with dayton audio, i decided it will be used in my systems.

As for dayton TCP 115-4. Its awesome for my small builds of 3L but as it turns out, i will be able to make a bigger enclosure for that guy who wants loud speaker. Maybe 6, 8 or even 10L. So i could use a tweeter of bigger size. And cheap recomendations, that has similar bass as TCP 115-4 and better sensitivity ?

Comment

For ~$30 or less I think it'll be pretty hard to beat the efficiency and headroom of the 8inch, SD215-88 subwoofer. It'll really prefer all the box-size you can give it, so even 12L would be a nice improvement over 10L, (I think 12L extends bass down to 60hz while 10L pulls the bass closer to 70hz). I don't know if that's getting too expensive and too big for what you're looking to build though.
            If it IS something you can use, it's also been pretty flexible for different things...Wolf's "Zingers" used them as the woofer for a pair of 2way speakers, so it reaches into the mids pretty nicely with the right crossover if needed. It'll also go really deep if you put it into a larger ported box up to 1.5-2.0ft where it can extend into the mid 20hz range..so it can do hometheater bass pretty well too. It's fair amount of Xmax and decent wattage handling also lets it party pretty hard for its size and price if you need something loud that isn't $40-50+ or larger.
            My first 2way build

Comment

The cheapest i could find this speaker for was 50€, which is to much. But i could go as high as 30€ i guess.

https://www.soundimports.eu/en/dayto...sd215a-88.html

Comment

I see there are many interesting speakers under 30€. Look at this for instance ...

https://www.soundimports.eu/en/dayto...-dc130b-4.html

Gives me 55Hz F3 and almost a completely flat graph line. It has an amazing 92.1dB at 4 ohms, which means 89dB at 8 ohms. If you compare this with my dayton tcp115 which gives like 81.9dB at 4 ohms, now that is quite a difference. I am not saying i will pick this speaker but it just shows that i can improve the loudness a lot. I am wondering if that dayton tweeter will be strong enough to compete with this woofer.

Comment

Use the spl of the woofer at 200hz. (2.83 volts) .......Subtract 4 dB from it, and compare that to the 2.83 volt spl of the tweeters response above 3k. If the tweeter spl is the same, or higher, there should be no sensitivity problem using the two together.

Comment

Originally posted by SentinelAeon View Post
                    I see there are many interesting speakers under 30€. Look at this for instance ...
                    https://www.soundimports.eu/en/dayto...-dc130b-4.html
                    Gives me 55Hz F3 and almost a completely flat graph line. It has an amazing 92.1dB at 4 ohms, which means 89dB at 8 ohms. If you compare this with my dayton tcp115 which gives like 81.9dB at 4 ohms, now that is quite a difference. I am not saying i will pick this speaker but it just shows that i can improve the loudness a lot. I am wondering if that dayton tweeter will be strong enough to compete with this woofer.
                    The DC130b-4 is a very efficient speaker and it does have a really smooth middle, but it also has pretty low Xmax/movement which means it can be great for something battery-powered (and large-ish) but it'll run out of headroom faster than you might think when just looking at its wattage handling. Think of the wattage handling as something it can do when used as a midwoofer in a 3way or when its lows are sent to a subwoofer, but when the lows are sent to the DC130 it'll run out of headroom long before it gets up to 40watts.....think closer to ~10watts.

I tried the DC130B-4 a couple years ago but ended up packing it away because I prefered the PC105-4 after listening to them both. I want to say the PC105 seemed to control its bass "flub"/overextension better which let it get about as loud or more without sounding like it was going to break, but it might've also been a combination of feeling underwhelmed by the lack of noticeable improvements in sound while the PC was obviously 2/3 the price and could use a smaller box. There was also a crossover issue from my complete inexperience at the time...compared to my still considerable inexperience currently. ;)
                    I should probably revisit the DC to give it a fairer "trial" now that I'm slightly less of a dunce about what to expect and how to cross it. Might love it the second time around.

I think the TD20 tweeter is good up to around 100db...so it should pair well with woofers up to around 106db which is many of the affordable woofers around and under 8inches.
                    Most of the time you'll probably run out of clean headroom from your amp or its power-supply/batteries or the woofer's Xmax long before you'll need to worry about any decent tweeter running out of volume.

If you're looking for a tweeter that's inexpensive and has a lot of headroom, I think the DC25T-8 might be a good bet among the Dayton lineup. It should be able to reach up to 108-110db peaks, it's rated to cross reasonably low (I think around 2500hz), and it doesn't cost a lot more than these ~$10 tweeters in the US...though I'm not sure how well that price carries over for your area. I don't think you'll need anything this loud though...not unless you're going with multiple woofers or large-ish PA woofers or both.
                    My first 2way build

Comment

The DC25T has a fairly ugly FR, if you can hear over 8k.

Comment

• LOUT
                        LOUT commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've heard mostly positive comments about it from other threads, but I do agree the on-axis FR looks pretty ugly. I think the overall/power-response evens out the FR a lot, so maybe it doesn't sound as bad as it looks and that's why there weren't complaints?

Have you heard it and weren't really a fan of its sound, or are you mostly commenting on the FR appearance because of how admittedly rough it looks?
                        If you've heard it, can you comment about it's sound in more detail (maybe in one of the dedicated threads if there's one that deserves a necro)?
                        Like OP, I probably don't need all that headroom from a tweeter, but I'm still curious about it and interested in folks' opinions.

I decided for my dads speakers i will use Dayton TCP115 and Dayton ND16FA-6 since it says its a nice build on the link you suplied:

http://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.co...akers.html?m=1

I like it that they can also be small, which is important. 1 thing i am wondering ... i always try to avoid using any crossover on the woofer side - i just use a simple capacitor to cap the tweeter at like 2800Hz. So now i am wondering how will that affect the build ? The reason is ... i dont have coils at all at home, while i have about 500 correct capacitors so tweeter crossover is free.

As for a stronger tweeter for the other build where loudness is more important than quality, i will look into those other 2 tweeters you showed me.

Comment

get some coils - if you don't copy the XO you're ruining the whole project, sorry

Comment

Alright. I spoke to dad and it seems money isnt such a big problem. He often tells me about his audiophile friend, who told him like, i can get you such a nice gramophone, nice sounding one, and its only 3.000€. My dad always laughs when he says that, because while he has the money, he could never spend that much on audio system.

That link to the project included the price for all components on parts-express. And that resistors, coils and capacitors really do not add that much to the project. Its about 6€ extra for each speaker and that is OK.

I actualy decided i will make a new topic about the dads project, since i really want to get it right and right now we have 3 projects mixed into 1 topic and i got the answer to the tweeter question. Thank you all for your help so far and it would be great if you join me in the new topic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just a quick question. Look at ND16FA tweeter:

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/D...ND16FA#4%CE%A9

Compare the 4 and 6 ohm version. I could use 6 ohm "weak" version for speakers where i dont care that much about loudness. But where i need more power .. 4 ohm version has better sensitivity and also a whooping 30W power handling instead of 10W that 6 ohm version has. What do u think ?

Comment

Working...
                            X