Name:	Bob Carver wtih his Tube amp.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1443770
      Not enough tubes.
      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Well be careful of those Chinese kits or amps. Too often they're not even worth the money you pay, and some are just flat dangerous.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	FakeChinesecaps.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1443776 Fake Chinese caps

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	FakeChinesecaps.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1443776 Fake Chinese caps
          Yeah, some of those companies will try to get away with anything to save a buck. Normally that's just annoying, but when you get high voltage involved it can be worse than annoying.
          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Not enough tubes.
            You can fix that with more cowbell.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I know you want new but a used quality amp is in the same range. Check audiogon or us audiomart. I’ve had great luck on USAM. Something like a used PrimaLuna Prologue with new tubes. The adaptive autobias works so well I bet the original power tubes still work though!

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post

You can fix that with more cowbell.
                Cheaper than those tubes.
                Francis

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                  I know you want new but a used quality amp is in the same range. Check audiogon or us audiomart. I’ve had great luck on USAM. Something like a used PrimaLuna Prologue with new tubes. The adaptive autobias works so well I bet the original power tubes still work though!
                  I did, but I didn't see anything I liked. Thanks.

Comment

I have built 5 tube amps and 3 tube preamps, 4 of those were my own designs, the others were well researched internet DIY designs. My highest wattage tube amp is 35 watts per channel. They all sound great and have virtually no hiss and no hum. That said, in my opinion, reading what speakers you have and what type of music you enjoy, I think your goal of buying a tube amp will end up disappointing you.

I never expect any of my tube amps to fulfill what you are expecting. I love them all for modest/medium level listening to a totally different type of music. But when it comes time to crank it with music that has great kick drum and electric bass I hook up my 250 wpc ClassDaudio diy amp or my Adcom GFA545ii. Doesn't mean I don't love tubes.... the big solid state amps just do that application better.
                    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                      I think your goal of buying a tube amp will end up disappointing you.
                      I don't want to sound contradictory to what I said, but I do agree that will likely end up happening, which in a way I'm sort of counting on it. I'll probably relegate it for my office use once my vacation is over and I go back to work in August. I can't really crank it up there so I guess it would be right at home. Perhaps.

Comment

I started looking at the little Tube Depot tube amp kits and ended up with a Dynakitparts ST-35, and then a Vacuum Tube Audio (tubes4hifi) SP8 preamp. The little ST-35 has very nice transformers according to "experts", widely described as best sounding vintage stock amp. 17 watts/channel. It all sits under my bed now.

I'm gung ho on kits, but laying out and parts sourcing a diy effort like pwr ryd has shown here is beyond my skills.

I'll sell you the ST-35 if you don't want to build. It's "like new". Really heavy for its size. The preamp would be way over your budget.

I don't know how up to date this site is, but lots of info there at least.

http://tubelab.com/

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          I started looking at the little Tube Depot tube amp kits and ended up with a Dynakitparts ST-35, and then a Vacuum Tube Audio (tubes4hifi) SP8 preamp. The little ST-35 has very nice transformers according to "experts", widely described as best sounding vintage stock amp. 17 watts/channel. It all sits under my bed now.

I'm gung ho on kits, but laying out and parts sourcing a diy effort like pwr ryd has shown here is beyond my skills.

I'll sell you the ST-35 if you don't want to build. It's "like new". Really heavy for its size. The preamp would be way over your budget.

I don't know how up to date this site is, but lots of info there at least.

http://tubelab.com/
                          Why does it sit under your bed if it's that good? 17W seems ....low....lol.

Comment

• djg
                            djg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            There's about 8 amps under there. All good. More in the basement. I can't use them all. I got rid of the big Singularity full range high sensitivity speakers I made to use with that amp. I had a veritable wall of speakers in my living room. I downsized. Looks better to me. It's a hobby, I'll pursue it as I see fit.

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post

Why does it sit under your bed if it's that good? 17W seems ....low....lol.
                          Vacuum tubes are just plain fun. Designing and building tube amp circuits that actually work is fun. Fabricating the cases and doing the point-to-point is fun. Having a "I did that" show piece is really cool.

All that said, there are so many reasons why transistors and now chips have replaced tubes.
                          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

Vacuum tubes are just plain fun. Designing and building tube amp circuits that actually work is fun. Fabricating the cases and doing the point-to-point is fun. Having a "I did that" show piece is really cool.

All that said, there are so many reasons why transistors and now chips have replaced tubes.
                            Craig and TomS held my hands while I built a simple tube preamp. As he said, it is fun, educational, and you can say, I did that.
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Why do some tube amps have tube rectifiers and others don't?

Comment

Working...
                              X