vacuum tube amp recommendation ≤ $600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
    Why do some tube amps have tube rectifiers and others don't?
    There's a fierce running argument about tube rectifiers sounding better. Unfortunately, tube rectifiers are really inefficient compared to solid state.
    Francis

Comment

Thank you but perhaps I'm not wording my question correctly or perhaps even asking the correct question. In some tube amps I see they have rectifier tubes. In others, I see that they don't have them. Is a tube rectifier a necessary component in a true full tube amp? Or is it something that the amp manufacturer can choose not to implement in their design?

Comment

Thank you but perhaps I'm not wording my question correctly or perhaps even asking the correct question. In some tube amps I see they have rectifier tubes. In others, I see that they don't have them. Is a tube rectifier a necessary component in a true full tube amp? Or is it something that the amp manufacturer can choose not to implement in their design?
        You need a rectifier to change the AC line voltage to the DC B+ for the tube anodes. So yes, some form of rectifier is a necessity.
        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

You need a rectifier to change the AC line voltage to the DC B+ for the tube anodes. So yes, some form of rectifier is a necessity.
          Therefore that implies that tube amps that do not have tube rectifiers ultimately must have solid-state rectifiers? Do I have that right?

Comment

Therefore that implies that tube amps that do not have tube rectifiers ultimately must have solid-state rectifiers? Do I have that right?
            Yes, that's the alternative.
            Francis

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1444250 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1444251

My VTA SP8 has a rectifier tube, my ST-35 does not.

Comment

I decided to [eventually] order a pair of VTA M-125 monoblocks from Bob @ Vacuum Tube Audio. Those will be for my main 2.1 system.

In the meantime, just to wet my beak a little bit, I ordered a cheapie for the sound system in my garage. It's an Oldchen K1 KT88 from HiFi Exquis. Got here in 1 week. Powering a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HD's.

The Studio HD's are HPF'd at 90Hz, and the 10" sub covers the rest. Listening to Napalm Death on it right now. Sounds magnificent!
                Last edited by guitar maestro; 07-10-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

VTA is a well respected name but I cannot imagine they were anywhere near $600.

The 'cheapie' tube amp is sweet looking. How does is sound and what did it set you back?
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

No they are not. The M-125 monoblock Kits are about $2500/pr. I ended up getting side-tracked with those. This amp will eventually go to my office at work in a few weeks. At that point I'll just get another two tube amps if I feel like it; one for the garage to replace the one going to my office, an another for the outdoor system under the small patio roof for when I barbecue/grill/cookout. And then will come the monoblocks for my main 2.1 system.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                      The 'cheapie' tube amp is sweet looking. How does is sound and what did it set you back?
                      I have not done an A-B comparisonvs the Peavey CS800X that it replaced (which is a very low distortion class A/B amp), but so far it sounds good. $350 + $100 shipping. It is linked/boldfaced/underlined in my previous post.

I do have to say, the harmonics that are added when pushed into overdrive coincide very nicely with grindcore/black metal! It kinda gives the music an extra little something since there are lots of harmonics in guitars [sounds] that are already severely overdriven. Listening to Abigail Williams "Walk beyond the dark" and it gives it a nice character with a little bit of "overdrive".
                      Last edited by guitar maestro; 07-10-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Re-visiting this. Haven't gotten the VTA's from Bob; I might give away the cheapie tube amp as a gift, so I might replace it with another similar one, solely for garage use while I'm on vacation. Going back to the rectification using tube OR S.S. rectifier, which one does this tube amp have? I see it has the power and pre-amp tubes, and the open underside of the board doesn't seem to have a rectifier. Or is just hidden from view? Integrated into the pre-amp tubes somehow? Just guessing here.

Comment

Working...
                        X