Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a QSC 152i waveguide + 15" midrange combo build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for a QSC 152i waveguide + 15" midrange combo build

    EDIT:

    Well, I couldn't find a kick-***, proven crossover for 152i + 15" woofer.
    And I couldn't afford the Four Pi this time around.
    So I just sunk a large amount of cash on Econowave Deluxe (DE250, kappalite & crossover) and will re-use my existing 152i waveguides and 3.3 ft3 cabinets.

    ==============================


    ORIGINAL POST:

    Hi folks, I've built Econowave before.
    But I'm hoping to find an optimized (no L-Pad) crossover/ build using the QSC HPR 152i waveguide, which to me is the sexiest looking waveguide ever made.
    But I don't want to run it with 12" midrange (like Econowave Deluxe).
    I prefer to run it with a 15" midrange (sort of lilke Wayne Parham's four π).

    This will be for just myself and one other person.
    I'm not worried about all locations in the room sounding good. Just the sweet spot.

    So, the build MUST use the 152i and 15" please.
    I prefer to stick with DE250 CD but am open to change on that.

    I've been searching the Internet for a bit but haven't found anything other than builds using a 12" midrange.
    Does anyone know of one using 15"?
    Other than the original QSC speaker hahah.

    I already have a pair of 3.5 ft3 enclosure frames ready to go.

    If I can't find an optimized crossover/combo then I'll just go with the Econowave Deluxe and use a 15" instead of the recommended 12".
    And deal with adjusting levels via the L-Pad.



    Last edited by CZ Eddie; 06-19-2020, 11:36 AM.

  • #2
    I would mate this with a JBL 2226 and go for an active crossover (maybe a MiniDSP). As for a CD, the biger Peerless (DFM-2544) or any of the Radian 1" CDs should work well with the 2226 that can reach up to 1kHz.

    To be fair the 2226 is pretty spendy if you buy new, but should be available for under $150 on the used market. The Radians are also a bit pricey (not much more than DE250), but they hold their value well on the used market.

    Just my 2 cents....

    Comment


    • #3
      Agreed, nothing wrong with a JBL 2226 or the Radian 475. But they are relatively pricey, and almost certainly the crossover will need adjusting, or you go active. Do you actually have the QSC 152i waveguide? They seem to be unavailable.
      Francis

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fpitas View Post
        Agreed, nothing wrong with a JBL 2226 or the Radian 475. But they are relatively pricey, and almost certainly the crossover will need adjusting, or you go active. Do you actually have the QSC 152i waveguide? They seem to be unavailable.
        The B52 Buyout from PE it's a clone from the 152i

        I also have a couple of 2226H and 152i clones that I wanted to use in a 2-way, but people suggested the JBL would have problems meeting my CD (Celestion 1746 which is said it's the poor man's B&C DE250), so I routed towards a 3-way... and then people suggested the 152i horn would not be ideal to meet a 6.5" midbass... so I will keep posted to your thread and check your work!

        Comment


        • #5
          Weird, I'm not getting email notifications about replies.
          Yep, I have the 152i already, I bought them several years ago but never got around to using them.

          I'm most interested in the DE250/2226H combo.
          I am now thinking I will have to wait on purchasing the midrange though, and so I may be refocusing on an Econowave design using my old Kenwood 16" woofer + 152i & a CD until I'm ready to invest further.

          Not sure of the best matching Econowave crossover design though, so I posted in that thread.

          Thanks folks.
          Please keep the ideas coming as this will happen someday.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mga2009 View Post

            The B52 Buyout from PE it's a clone from the 152i

            I also have a couple of 2226H and 152i clones that I wanted to use in a 2-way, but people suggested the JBL would have problems meeting my CD (Celestion 1746 which is said it's the poor man's B&C DE250), so I routed towards a 3-way... and then people suggested the 152i horn would not be ideal to meet a 6.5" midbass... so I will keep posted to your thread and check your work!
            Yeah, that's not really a clone. It's got a very different depth than the QSC, for one thing. Might still be a usable waveguide, although the 600Hz nonsense in the description alarms me. Evidently they found a way to violate the laws of physics. The QSC was good for about 1kHz crossover. It's also described as exponential, which it most certainly is not.
            Last edited by fpitas; 06-17-2020, 06:34 PM.
            Francis

            Comment


            • #7
              CZ Eddie - If you have a 2226 and DE250 I don't see why you don't just build them. The 2226 can easily hit 900Hz and even higher. It's really only limited by beaming at higher frequencies. The DE250, if used in a domestic environment (not PA), can reach below 1kHz. So it should work fine (in fact, I know it works fine).

              IMHO you should definitely go active XO. You will get to a decent sounding system in no time if you have any measurement capability at all and it's likely not to cost more than a passive XO (coils and caps have gotten $$). Any CD/Horn XO tends to get a bit complex if you are going passive because of the high frequency roll off inherent with CDs and this drives the cost of passive XO up. Go active and you can dial the system flat in no time and at no increased expense. Don't like the sound of flat? A few keystrokes and you can change the tonality as you like. Again, just my opinion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LIDAR View Post
                CZ Eddie - If you have a 2226 and DE250 I don't see why you don't just build them. The 2226 can easily hit 900Hz and even higher. It's really only limited by beaming at higher frequencies. The DE250, if used in a domestic environment (not PA), can reach below 1kHz. So it should work fine (in fact, I know it works fine).

                IMHO you should definitely go active XO. You will get to a decent sounding system in no time if you have any measurement capability at all and it's likely not to cost more than a passive XO (coils and caps have gotten $$). Any CD/Horn XO tends to get a bit complex if you are going passive because of the high frequency roll off inherent with CDs and this drives the cost of passive XO up. Go active and you can dial the system flat in no time and at no increased expense. Don't like the sound of flat? A few keystrokes and you can change the tonality as you like. Again, just my opinion.
                I agree. A JBL2226 and a DE250 on the QSC waveguide can be a quality speaker. And yes, a passive crossover for a compression driver can be tricky, not just because of the HF rolloff on a CD waveguide, but also because of the impedance fluctuations near crossover.
                Francis

                Comment


                • #9
                  I happen to coincidently have the same exact components on hand. If you don’t have a measurement setup, I can probably build a really rough box and help with the measurements - that way fellow forum crossover gurus can assist with a passive crossover design. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you.
                    I added this to my OP yesterday though.
                    ------------

                    EDIT:

                    Well, I couldn't find a kick-***, proven crossover for 152i + 15" woofer.
                    And I couldn't afford the Four Pi this time around.
                    So I just sunk a large amount of cash on Econowave Deluxe (DE250, kappalite & crossover) and will re-use my existing 152i waveguides and 3.3 ft3 cabinets.

                    ==============================

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      PE already shipped all parts this morning!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CZ Eddie View Post
                        PE already shipped all parts this morning!
                        There ya go. I think you'll be very satisfied with it.
                        Francis

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a pair of Wayne's horns. PM me and we'll talk. You could just build the 4s to his plans.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X