Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugly woofer
    replied
    I have heard them on multiple occasions, excellent speaker. Dan and Kerry did an fantastic job on the crossover. The Absolute Sound gave them a great review at Axpona 2018 I believe.

Leave a comment:

• AudioSQ
    replied
    Originally posted by jtheisen521 View Post
    One thing not mentioned is EQ. I have a Denon AVR also and when I set it up with the built in Audessy it sounds great for HT, but sometimes flat and lifeless for music. You may want to play with that a bit. I’d try first bypassing it altogether with direct mode and see how it sounds. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've tried all the difference settings, modes, various angles... I even recently bought the UMM Mic and started taking measurements. I do need to learn more in that regard. Truthfully the Fusions are a very nice speaker, particularly for theater application. It's just the nature of DIY.. I think I've had them for six years now and want to build something else, take the next project up a notch.

Leave a comment:

• AudioSQ
    replied
    Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
    CSS would be my choice, but remember that everyone voices their speakers differently, so more $$ may not equal a speaker that you enjoy more.
    Have you heard them? I saw a review that wasn't glowing for their off axis response.

Leave a comment:

• jtheisen521
    replied
    One thing not mentioned is EQ. I have a Denon AVR also and when I set it up with the built in Audessy it sounds great for HT, but sometimes flat and lifeless for music. You may want to play with that a bit. I’d try first bypassing it altogether with direct mode and see how it sounds. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ugly woofer
    replied
    CSS would be my choice, but remember that everyone voices their speakers differently, so more $$ may not equal a speaker that you enjoy more.

Leave a comment:

• AudioSQ
    replied
    I have looked at the Apollo, but would be more inclined to go with the Helix MTM. It's cheaper than most of what I'm looking at, but more expensive doesn't always mean better. I imagine the other Bagby designs I'm looking at probably are better, but I do wonder to my ears on a less prefect source.. just how much?

Leave a comment:

• davidroberts
    replied
    Originally posted by AudioSQ View Post
    I haven't been to Zaph's site in almost a decade.. glad to see he's still rocking that 90s web design look. I'll add that one to the list to read up on.

Almost doubling the price on the GR, that's rough.
    I have had the chance to hear several of Danny's designs and can attest they are very nice.

While we don't agree on boutique wire, connectors, and cover components, The voicing on his speakers we definitely agree on.

Beieng that you had a dyisg speaker before have you looked at his Apollo kits?

Leave a comment:

• donc
    replied
    welcome back .
    donc

Leave a comment:

• AudioSQ
    replied
    The Solstice kit looks pretty nice. Flat packs would be a nice touch, although I'd obviously have to modify the one for the center channel. Like all of Jeff's designs it gets good reviews.

Also found the CSSCriton2TD, looksinteresting. Anybody ever try one of those?

Leave a comment:

• AudioSQ
    replied
    I haven't been to Zaph's site in almost a decade.. glad to see he's still rocking that 90s web design look. I'll add that one to the list to read up on.

Almost doubling the price on the GR, that's rough.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Leave a comment:

• Kustomize
    replied
    http://zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Has a center channel option at the bottom too!

Mandolin 2 MTM could be a nice Front LCR.
    Mandolin TM for surrounds or the Soprano TM for surrounds, all by Jeff Bagby (RIP)

GR Research X-Statik MTM for Front Left and RIght, and it has a matching Center X-Voce.

But I JUST saw they increased the prices to 600+ from like 350 a pair I think!

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
    I would also suggest the Statement IIs but they would need to be away from the walls just like the Anthologies.

Rpb's suggestion is good, if you move your current speakers out and it makes a significant improvement then you may be more willing to do that with future speakers than your current plan. I know I used to have my speakers close to the wall until reading this forum and learning a lot more. Now my speakers are out from the wall more than is really convenient but I like music more than convenience and luckily my wife is okay with that.
    WAF sure is important, but I too am lucky she cares for music as much as I do. Line was drawn as 2Ces were too ugly and those "doors" were not allowed. ( Martin Logans)

Leave a comment:

• tvrgeek
    replied
    One more thing to add. When you walk into a room, your brain makes an imprint and it expects sound based on how you hear the ambient. It is a part of psycho-acoustics I do not see addressed much. Our brain can fix a lot our electronics can't.

I still suggest spending money on managing the sound. Not just absorption, but maybe selection of the curtains, where one puts bookshelves, displays, furniture , throw rugs, and everything else that goes into a room one uses as a room. Big ugly traps, funny foam wedges etc are not what I was thinking. With our dogs, we have hardwood floors so our rooms are a bit bright. Creativity is where it is at. Go after the short reflections, anything within about two feet of your speakers is that is where the imaging magic comes from. Of course, DIY makes it a lot cheaper. My thirds was more for retail prices.

Spend some time with a tone generator and track done any spurious resonances. I had an funny "edge" I finally tracked down the back panel of a china cabinet. Offset by a fire place can be a resonance trap. I had a cheap replacement window resonate terribly. Put in a better window. Surprising how much noise a nick-knack can make sitting on a shelf.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by AudioSQ View Post
    I've done what I can for the room. It has carpet, thick curtains, a book shelf, a couple bass traps and a few acoustic panels. The left speaker is about a foot from the side wall, and they're about a foot from the back wall. I can swap the left with the sub to get it further from the wall but was trying to avoid shoving the sub in a corner, but I can try to see how it sounds and measure it.
    When I said the room is important, I didn't mean that treating it was the thing to do. If you want to, that's great, but just realize that like speaker building, there's an art to it. If the room needs to keep a certain look, it gets harder to treat it, and have it look good. My rooms are very plain, and on the lively side acoustically. Any big room in my house sometimes gets used for a HT setup with a projector. Very basic, low dollar, but I like it a lot! A video like this one on you-tube by Chris Issac sounds very good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjTweUPt3Q

I also like Music from Daryl's house a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6GrnhUzzw

Frampton's Detroit concert is very good as well. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

I rarely just sit in the sweet spot, and listen to music, unless I'm voicing a speaker. The real test is how much I enjoy the above shows, and others like them.
    This one gets cranked frequently. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VDRVRV
    Last edited by rpb; 08-23-2020, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    I would also suggest the Statement IIs but they would need to be away from the walls just like the Anthologies.

Rpb's suggestion is good, if you move your current speakers out and it makes a significant improvement then you may be more willing to do that with future speakers than your current plan. I know I used to have my speakers close to the wall until reading this forum and learning a lot more. Now my speakers are out from the wall more than is really convenient but I like music more than convenience and luckily my wife is okay with that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X